Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Crackles and pops

32K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  vvixom 
#1 ·
I would like to hear from people who are running the crackles tune. I am running it on the stock dp and I want to know how long I can expect the cat to live if it does anything at all. I've heard that it will damage it and that it would barley have an effect on the dp. Since i'm living in Commiefornia I kinda don't want to risk running a full catless dp. Are the high flow dp's okay with this tune? Sorry if this has been asked a lot I just want to get a clearer idea of the effects it has.

#8 ·
I have the same exhaust setup as popwarhomie (Stock DP/MBRP Catback). Its there every time you let off the gas but intensity is higher in the upper rev range. It does not constantly do it when you are off the gas, it does it for maybe 3-5 seconds depending on rpm. I do not find it annoying at all. It adds to the driving experience and makes the car more fun. You can sort of control the noise with your right foot to a certain extent. I've running the tune for awhile now with no issues to the cat that I know of.

I will say i've listened to the videos posted where people have catless DP's and aftermarket exhausts and it sounds way too loud for my tastes. Noise is subjective based on your tastes so you'd just have to give it a shot yourself. Its an easy fix if you don't like it as I believe they give a tune with it and without it.

#9 ·
I think they only give you a tune with and without if I order a separate slot. Currently I only have 1. I wish I could just try it temporarily or something lol free trial.

#10 ·
I have a resonator delete and the Stratified crackle-pop tune, no other engine mods. I love it; it makes a pop between shifts and kind of poppity sound when decel. Someone else said that you have to get up into 3000+ rpm before it will do anything, but that is not the case. I have noticed my gas mileage going down, probably because I am accelerating and letting up so I can hear it. It's really alot of fun.

Reactions: selucius
#12 ·
i have the loud crackles with stock DP, 3" pipe the rest of the way back. its really damn loud. i like it though, cant say anything about the medium crackles

#13 ·
I LOVE my crackles and pops! Currently running stock DP, MBRP cat back with the aeroturbine muffler and when I left off the gas it pops and crackles just the right amount. Sometimes when I am changing gears through my lower gears I will get a "POP" which is fun. I just found out I have the LOUD crackles. I honestly wish my pops were louder, but I think it has to do with my 3" exhaust. I would go with the loud ones. I can hear it with my windows up, but it is not annoying at all.

Reactions: White_st3
#14 ·
I went with the medium and I only have the 3" Depo Catless DP and stock catback and it is not loud enough to hear it unless your attention is brought to it. So it's quieter than I'd like, but not much of a loss since I was on the fence anyway. If anyone is curious and had the same question as me...get the loud if you do ONLY the DP or you won't hear it. I hear my downpipe above 5k rpm with what sounds like it slightly cuts out. No pop sound just cuts in exhaust note...which sound nice but quiet.

#24 ·
Does anyone know how to tune this in?

#48 ·
The medium crackle and pops sound great with the Depo catless dp and mbrp catback ?
You live fairly close to me if you want to hear mine!

Reactions: brian60
#26 ·
My exhaust is completely stock and I rarely hear the medium crackles on my tune. I've been leaning towards a resonator delete for awhile, now knowing it'll help me hear the crackles better is definitely pushing me towards it as my next mod. Medium crackles with stock exhaust definitely passes the BF test though, he's never mentioned it and he hates all car sounds (got the biggest roll eyes when I put on my Turbosmart 50/50 BOV...).

#27 ·
He would hate my car then :crazy:, I have no muffler or resonator and have the loud crackles. Pretty sure people around me hate it but those who are in the car love it. I got it for myself so who cares what random people think.

Reactions: HBGeek
#28 ·
Got my tune last night, super excited!, ran medium crackles around the block a few times and on the way to work. Pretty hard to hear. Going to flash to Loud crackles on the way home and see how they sound.

CPE catless down and cobb catback incase anyone wants to know.

#30 ·
Please do post updates @prestup and @Ginger_snaps4. I finally got my resonator deleted yesterday, but everything else is stock. The entire ride home I never heard a thing (MEC) until I got to the neighborhood and was driving slow in third and got three loud pops around 2000-2500 RPMs decelerating. I got it to do it a few times through the neighborhood and haven't heard it at all today from my short drive to work and then to lunch. I think I just need to get it warmed up more perhaps. I reached operating temp but just barely. When driving through the parking garage, I can hear lovely but quiet gurgles. Oddly enough, I've only ever heard the pops at low RPM, not high.

I'm probably going to do a catted downpipe in the near future, then be done with my exhaust (unless catted DP + res del sounds bad). I have no interest in very loud exhaust on this car, just maybe a little when you really get on it. May have to try loud crackles if this is all medium does for my setup.

#31 ·
When driving through the parking garage, I can hear lovely but quiet gurgles. Oddly enough, I've only ever heard the pops at low RPM, not high.
On my FRPP catback it burbles at low RPM anyways, so I'm curious to see what it will sound like once I get the LEC. With the MEC on, I think it might have sounded a little more active at high RPM when closing the throttle...but not quite sure. Hopefully my tune comes in tomorrow, otherwise I won't be able to flash it until next week. I'll post an update once I get it.

Either way at this point, I'll still have my tune with MEC on my AP, but also have my new LEC and 2 NEC maps. If I get time I'll eventually do sound clips or videos.

#34 ·
It sounds much better on Loud, although you occasionaly get a super loud pop that is annoying, but overall its much better than medium!

#36 ·
Yesterday was the first time I've driven my resonator-deleted crackle-pop tuned ST in hot weather with the air on because it got all up in the 90's yesterday. I did notice more low-speed pops when rolling to a stop in gear. I'm talking around 1500 rpm. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't normally do this except when cold. I'm theorizing it's because when cold the throttle is kept slightly open for a faster idle, and works similarly when the air is on.

#37 ·
Does anyone know exactly how the tune achieves the crackle and pops sound? I am very interested and currently running Ford Racing Exhaust and Cobb Intake, but I don't want anything that could do damage to the car. Thanks

#39 ·
When are the new crackles supposed to be released?

#45 ·
just throw a borla exhaust on the car, intake tube and filter. i get great sound now, a nice gurgle with some pops here and there. oh and no tune necessary. ill be getting a strat tune eventually but for now im very happy with the sounds coming from my car. i did a res delete before the borla and was not that happy with the sound, it seemed to drone a bit and it sounded like a hack job.(my opinion not yours)

#51 ·
Post, when you let off the gas.

#52 ·
I run 1320 catted DP and Cobb exhaust with the loud version.
I like it.
You get 2 files from Stratified so if you don’t like it you can reflash.
I also ran it with the stock DP & exhaust muffler delete and it was very subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.