My Steeda RSB rusted and BROKE IN HALF. Response? "Atmoshperic conditions"
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My Steeda RSB rusted and BROKE IN HALF. Response? "Atmoshperic conditions"

I spend too much of my life on FST! Twenty's Avatar
    is enjoying his ST sedan.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Steeda RSB rusted and BROKE IN HALF. Response? "Atmoshperic conditions"

Well, this was unexpected and unfortunate.

I installed a Steeda rear sway bar on my car in the summer of 2012. It was purchased brand new and it went in in perfect condition.

Fast forward to this summer and suddenly something seems...wrong. With the car in the air we inspect the bar and find that it has completely broken in two due to rust. We took photos and I got in touch with Steeda. To their credit the person I was dealing with initially was very helpful and great to correspond with, but then my request was transferred to another individual. After only a few more back-and-forths I received this response:

"Hi Bill. first of all rust is a atmospheric condition, not a defect in workmanship. 2nd the bars coating is only covered for 1 year especially with a harsh northern climate that you live in..."

Now I could *maybe* understand something like this happening if I lived in Ontario and never washed my car, but considering this is Alberta and the car is washed extremely frequently, I am alarmed at how fast this piece failed. Nothing else on my car is showing anything more than usual surface rust, nor have I even experienced anything like this on my other vehicle which is 24 years old and was driven through 20 full winters.

To stress, this is not some minor issue of a bit of coating wearing; the bar is now in two pieces and therefore is nothing more than scrap now, needing to be replaced. I am rather unimpressed with the service I received and especially frustrated that it seems to have just been written off as "this stuff happens" due to my living north of the border and an assumption that it automatically means my car is subjected to excessive salt and chemicals.
    IG: @officialTHREETWENTY
    2012 Focus "ST4" Sedan (DD/Project) - Complete ST exterior and drive train conversions / Sponsored by Rebel Devil Customs - Featured in Performance Ford, Sept 2014
    1992 Grand Prix SE Sedan (Project)

Super Moderator Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is moderating the countryside,
    moderating the peasants,
    moderating all the peoples.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twenty View Post

I installed a Steeda rear sway bar on my car in the summer of 2012. It was purchased brand new and it went in in perfect condition.

Fast forward to this summer and suddenly something seems...wrong. With the car in the air we inspect the bar and find that it has completely broken in two due to rust. We took photos and I got in touch with Steeda. To their credit the person I was dealing with initially was very helpful and great to correspond with, but then my request was transferred to another individual. After only a few more back-and-forths I received this response:

"Hi Bill. first of all rust is a atmospheric condition, not a defect in workmanship. 2nd the bars coating is only covered for 1 year especially with a harsh northern climate that you live in..."

Now I could *maybe* understand something like this happening if I lived in Ontario and never washed my car, but considering this is Alberta and the car is washed extremely frequently, I am alarmed at how fast this piece failed. Nothing else on my car is showing anything more than usual surface rust, nor have I even experienced anything like this on my other vehicle which is 24 years old and was driven through 20 full winters.

To stress, this is not some minor issue of a bit of coating wearing; the bar is now in two pieces and therefore is nothing more than scrap now, needing to be replaced. I am rather unimpressed with the service I received and especially frustrated that it seems to have just been written off as "this stuff happens" due to my living north of the border and an assumption that it automatically means my car is subjected to excessive salt and chemicals.
    I am sorry to hear this. Premature failure of a part is nothing to brush off, blaming your climate for it's deterioration is nonsense. I normally lurk in the shadows regarding Steeda, but this is just ridiculous.

Could you post some pics of the RSB and failure? I'd like to see it before any other Steeda threads occur. I would be most appreciative with some photographic details.

As of right now though, I still want nothing to do with their parts personally. There seem to be much better options with better customer support. You can PM me if you'd like my suggestions, personally I don't like shoving brands down peoples throats, my position is to lend a helping hand or suggestion where it's wanted.
    Lou64 likes this.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

Build thread - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-duecette.html

In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

is Use you're imagination for
    crying out loud!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would you please provide pictures (clear pics) of the failure so we all can check out what happened and provide you some information.
    Duece McCracken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    moderating the peasants,

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfitproduct View Post
    Would you please provide pictures (clear pics) of the failure so we all can check out what happened and provide you some information.
    Lol, beat you to it, slow poke...
    Unfitproduct likes this.

In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

is Use you're imagination for
    crying out loud!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fastest keyboard in the US, ol Duece MC!
    Duece McCracken likes this.

Premium Member
    moderating the peasants,

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfitproduct View Post
    Fastest keyboard in the US, ol Duece MC!
    Only when I'm in town and drinking heavily. Knob Creek FTW!!!
    Soden82, Fuxalt and Eric15RRST like this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! Twenty's Avatar
    is enjoying his ST sedan.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to get some new photos with my actual camera as soon as I can crawl under the car, instead of post the cell-phone photos I have so far.
    IG: @officialTHREETWENTY
    2012 Focus "ST4" Sedan (DD/Project) - Complete ST exterior and drive train conversions / Sponsored by Rebel Devil Customs - Featured in Performance Ford, Sept 2014
    1992 Grand Prix SE Sedan (Project)

Premium Member
    moderating the peasants,

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'll try to get some new photos with my actual camera as soon as I can crawl under the car, instead of post the cell-phone photos I have so far.
    We are here to help, and will wait patiently for the pics. Whatever insight we can lend, we will.

May your situation get sorted swiftly, and favorably.
    Twenty likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hello Bill,

I apologize for the issues you have experienced, I totally understand your frustration.

Please send me your contact info, order number & photos to tim@steeda.com. Let me do some work behind the scenes & see what we can figure out.

Additionally - if you don't have your order number, can you let me know where you purchased the bar from.

Best Regards,

TJ

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Hello Bill,

I apologize for the issues you have experienced, I totally understand your frustration.

Please send me your contact info, order number & photos to tim@steeda.com. Let me do some work behind the scenes & see what we can figure out.

Additionally - if you don't have your order number, can you let me know where you purchased the bar from.

Best Regards,

TJ

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links