Ford Focus ST Forum banner

UnfocusedST's 2013 ST2 build.

272K views 891 replies 97 participants last post by  HoloCoCos 
#1 · (Edited)

First a little bit about me. I'm 31 married with two kids. I started getting into cars while in the Navy which I served for almost eight years. Also about the same time I got into auto x. This is my second Ford Focus. My first one was a 2005 ZX4 SE. I did all sorts of work to that one including turbo charging it. Traded that Focus off for my 2007 Ford Edge which is now my wife's car. I was researching an 08 Subaru STi and I found out we finally got a proper Focus ST since first gen ST in the state was a let down compared to the European ST. Technically it was the second gen ST since the first was renamed SVT for the states with minor differences. I've been part of the focus community for many years now and bring some decent knowledge with that. I've been debating about doing a build thread for along time now. I figured I'd share what I've done and plan to do to my Focus ST. I also wanted a place to put my review of parts that I'm using. Below are my current mods. I will update this list as I update the car. Sponsored by Custom Performance Engineering. Click the links below to jump to the post within this thread for the parts listed.

Engine:
Cp-e αIntake Intake
Cp-e QKspl Downpipe
Cp-e Austenite 3″ Dual Cat Back Exhaust
Cp-e Exhale Tial BOV Kit
Cp-e Hotcharge Pipe
Cp-e BlockD symposer delete
Cp-e ΔCore Front Mount Intercooler
Cp-e xFlex Rear Motor Mount Stage2
Cp-e xFlex Driver Side Motor Mount
Cp-e xFlex Passanger Side Motor Mount
Ecoboost Mustang 2.3L Throttle Body
Cobb Accessport V3
Justin Performance Center Clutch Line
Cobb hanger bushings
Boomba Racing Stage 2 Catch Can
JLT air/oil separator
Boomba Racing transmission bushings
Autostyled Short Shifter
Redline tuning hood struts
Boosted Designs Battery Tie Down
Painted Engine Cover
Steeda Hood Release
Boomba Oil Cap
Boomba Brake Fluid Reservoir/Coolant Tank Reservoir Caps
Boomba Dip Stick Handle
Mountune Breather Plate

Interior:
Socal Garage Works Custom Steering Wheel
Build Number
Boomba Racing short shifter
Boomba Racing shifter bushings
Autostyled Shift Knob
Redline Goods custom shift boot
Redline Goods custom ebrake boot
Redline Goods custom arm rest cover
Euro Start Button
Defi gauges to replace factory pod
The Bracketeer Fire Extingisher Mount
Boosted Designs dead pedal
Weather Tech front, rear and hatch floor mats
2014 Focus ST sliding driver side visor
Your Little CNC Shop gas pedal spacer
Covercraft Custom Sunscreen
Cipher Auto Harness Bar
Steeda Clutch Spring

Exterior:
Enkei TX-5 18X8 wheels wrapped in Kuhmo X4 II All Seasons 245/40/18
Konig Hypergrams wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE71R 255/35/18
Gorilla Forged Steel Lug Nuts
Octane Academy badges
Perrin 2" shorty antenna
Custom ecobeast badge
Beeks Deep Dish Grill
Craig's Custom Mustang Bracket for Focus ST
Rally Innovations 3 Piece Aluminum Splitter
Rally Innovations Side Splitters
Steeda Jacking Rails
ZL1 Add-ons Rock Guards

Suspension & Brakes:
YCW Reference Coilovers
5k Front Springs 7K Rear Springs
Modified Strut Towers for Camber Adjustment
Strano Rear Sway Bar
Massive Speed System Camber Arms
Massive Speed System Toe Arms
Massive Speed System Rear Sway Bar Endlinks
TB Performance Strut Tower Bar
Hawk HPS brake pads front and rear
RS Brembos
RS Brake Air Guides
StopTech Slotted Rotors
TCE stainless steel brake lines
Painted Brake Calipers
Damond Motorsports Rear Caliper Bushings

Send from another galaxy.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I chose the cp-e intake for a couple reasons. First I wanted to red intake to go with my blue focus. The color offset looks good to me. The second I wanted an air box, but a better flowing one that stock. Now saying that the stock airbox isn't horrible. The factory piping however has a few divots that add turbulence to the air flow. So wanted to fix that. I also wanted something that worked with my FRPP cold air intake that I previously installed. Looked and many intakes and the cp-e stuck out to me. Looked at all the reviews and seen nothing but great things. So I picked one up. When it came time to installing the intake two things took the longest. One was removing the factory intake from the turbo and attaching the cp-e to the same point. It's a tight fit but I was able to get my arm down there. The second was attaching the velocity stack which really didn't take much time. For my install I didn't have to remove the cowl. I was able to sneak the pipe down to where it would rest with it in place. The felt part has enough give to push past. Now I did come across one snag. The bolt provided to hold the intake away from the HPFP I found was too short and popped out easily. So I spent the $0.60 and bought a slightly longer one. Not a huge deal at all really. All in all I'm very happy with this intake and haven't looked back. The instructions were spot on at the parts can sealed and separated to make the job super easy.

Here is the bolt I mentioned.

#3 ·
I decided to purchase the cp-e charge pipes for a couple reasons. First I wanted some nice charge pipes that wouldn't pop off. My stock ones never did but I didn't want to take the chance. The second I wanted a better valve that the stock compressor regulation valve that comes with the car since my failed and the turbo had to be replaced.

Now I tried the turbosmart dual port diverter valve and didn't care for the sound. I continued my search and found out cp-e made an easy was to run the TiAL bov. Did some research and found out this is one of the best valves on the market. So I grabbed one of their exhale kits and hotcharge pipes. I decided to also replace my factory intercooler at the same time. I decided to help my budget at grab a cxracing intercooler and find a way to mount it up my self. Thanks to a forum member I was able to get my hands on some brackets based on the cxracing intercooler kit they have for the Focus ST.

I did this installed over a couple days. First day I installed the charges pipes. The hotcharge pipe was super easy. The exhale kit gave me some issues. I was able to get the pipe in place for the most part exhaust the couple to the throttle body. I fought with this for a bit just because of the tight room. Finally got the pipe in place so I then attached the valve. Again cp-e fitment is spot on.

Now since the intercooler is a DIY the install did take me a bit. The hardest part was lining everything up. I picked up the ATP sensor elbow and a cxracing elbow with couplers and t bolt clamps. These along with the custom brackets made the install go fairly easy.

#4 ·
I always thought the stock exhaust was too quiet for a performance car. Also my active sound symposer never like to work properly especially when I got cold out. So first I decided to go with the MBRP catback exhaust. I loved the sound it made. Also didn't see all the drone that some mention. The only time I noticed was at highway speeds going up hill. Also I have noticed with the back seats down and/or the hatch cover off the exhaust is more noticable. With that said for the most part I was happy. The problem I had was filament. During the install we had to cut down the hanger that goes over the rear cross member. It was too long and hitting. The second part was the exhaust kept moving to the right. Some cobb exhaust hangers took care of that. I then was tired of the exhaust tips sticking too far out. Another simple fix. I took the tips off since they slip on and cut about and inch off the piping. The looked much better to me and my leg long longer gets burns while loading and unloading the hatch area. Now with that said I decided to swap out the entire exhaust system. I went for a full turboback exhaust. Yes I could have simply swapped downpipes and been done. However I'd been eyeballing the cp-e Austenite catback. I also picked up their catless downpipe at the same time. As cp-e give different exhaust tip options I went with their Titan finish. It give a great matte finish. I didn't want shiny exhaust tips since they can be a pain to keep clean

So first thing was the pull off the MBRP catback. Once that was out of the way I went after the downpipe. The hardest part about the downpipe pipe was the sensor plugs. After fighting with them I was able to get them out. The downpipe then came out without a fight.

I decided to install the defouler for the rear O2 sensor for when I decide to remove my tune for whatever reason.

The hardest part of the downpipe install was getting the sensors reconnected. I just couldn't get this done. So I removed the battery box and was able to easily get my hands back there and plug them in. Just look at how much room there is without the box in the way. Also I did pulled on the end that bolts up to the catback to see if there was any noise. The hangers did hit the front crossmember. I fixed this by loosening the rear clamp and slightly sliding the section out to make clearance.

The next step was to get the new catback installed. First I decided to take a comparison picture of the stock, MBRP and cp-e catbacks.

After that was done I started bolting everything up. I do recommend so silicone spray especially if your using upgraded hangar bushings. The cobb ones are really stiff.

Well after everything was installed I got cleaned up. Yes I didn't start the car first. I was horribly filthy and didn't want to get that dirt in my car. So finally off for a test drive. The car sounded great. There is a noticeable exhaust note change at 3.5K rpms. It's like the exhaust keeps getting louder, then it just changes. Personally I like the change. Now the really test. Does it drone? Well I'm not sure about drone but cruising at 80mph on I90 (yes that's the speed limit) it does get loud going up hill. Now if I went with the high low cat I'm sure it wouldn't get that loud. As for crying at 65mph and below I couldn't believe how quiet a catless system could be. I only really hear it during exceleration. A week after installing the turboback exhaust I went to one of our auto x competitions. After every run I had people coming up to my car just loving the exhaust note. I was afraid it was going to be too loud and noone thought so. So I'm very happy with this exhaust. I have not had any fitment issues yet.

#5 · (Edited)
Original thread can be found here.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35720

I have decided to replace my factory dash gauge pod. The gauges I am using are Defi. There are plenty of gauge choices out there. Choose what soots you. I am also using the Defi visors and gauge pods that are mounted to the non ST dash speaker grill. These instructions will be more specific to this but will work with where ever you mount your gauges.

So after you picked out your gauge/gauges and mounting spot it's time to run some wires and sensors. For my boost gauges I am using a symposer delete with a 1/8th nipple.

Now for Defi I had to mount the sensors close as possible to the vacuum/boost source. Other want you to mount it in a dry location. For my oil pressure and temp sensors I uses a sandwich plate. This happens to be the prosport plate for the Mazda 3. Fits perfectly.

To install the sandwich you have to remove the filter. You will lose a bit of oil. A full oil drain is not needed. Make sure to replace any spilled oil when you are done attaching the sandwich plate and reinstalling the filter.

Now make sure to keep and wires and vacuum lines away from heat sources.

To run the wires and vacuum lines inside the cabin there is a large grommet on the right side where the harness enters the car. It is large enough to poke a hole in so you can run the wires inside. Be careful not to damage the factory wire harness while doing this. Sorry no picture. I made my hole with a knife from the inside. To access the grommet this way you will need to remove the glove box. There are five torx head screws. One on the side. You will have to pop the side panel off for this screw. Open the glove box and pull firmly. It will pop right off.

The first screw is at the lower portion of this area. This will all low you to pull the plastic away from the locking tab.

The next two are in the top inside lip of the glove box.

The last two are the most difficult to find. I had to feel around for them on the bottom. First remove the felt kick shield from the under side. There are two pull nuts that hold this up.

Here are the two screws. I also took a picture of the bottom of the glove box to help people find them.

There is a metal clip attached to the inside of the glove box. You have to give it a good tug to remove it. I did happen to loose my clip. To be careful.

Once you have run wire to the inside run them to your gauges. Now it's time for running power, memory wires. I don't have a location for the illumination wire. For my gauges if I attach power to the illumination wire they dim. So I have left it detached.

I have decided to use fuse taps since they are super simple to use. Splice the wire from your gauge to the wire on the tap. Now find the fuse you want to use.

The far right fuse tap will be your ignition on power. The lower left will be the memory power wire. The top fuse tap is what I was using for my gauges to dim them. I don't remember if this fuse is always on or not.

Next you want a good ground. I found this bolt makes a very nice one and is easy to access.

In the case of the Defi gauges the power cord can be wired up then attached to the gauges. Once you are finished wiring your sensors and power, ground, etc it's time to button everything up.

#6 ·
http://www.focusst.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30899

So I have two catch cans install. The first one I installed was the JLT can. This was super easy. I like the placement.

Now as alot of you have noticed these catch cans between the valve cover and intake does catch alot. That's because not alot passes through there. This is how much oily gunk the can caught in 5K miles. Now remember you don't want this going into the compressor side of your turbo gunking everything up.

So with that one install I wanted the main catch can. The one that goes between the pcv and intake manifold. I wanted the Kozmic can. However with my intercooler brackets it would not have fitted. Also due to the size of the can I wasn't sure where I was going to relocate it to. So I picked up the Moroso catch can. As many of you know it mounts in the same location as the JLT can. So I found it a new spot with the help of BozBrosPerformance.

My Focus ST at the point of installing this can had just over 21K miles. So my valves are a bit gunked up.

Cylinder 1

The rest.

So as you can see it was needed badly. Here is what behind the pcv plate looks like.

Now before I was running the Moroso can I had the cp-e exhale kit with tial bov installed. I went to remove it and cap off the port because it was discharging oily residue. When I installed the can I reinstalled the cleaned up valve. Here is what my block off plate looked like.

Not very pretty. Full of oily gunk. Also my cold side charge pipe had oil just pooled in the bottom. I did my best of cleaning it out without removing the pipe complete. I did detach it from the intercooler coupler.

Nasty paper towel.

So for those who are on the edge of getting a can or to those nay sayers. I say get one. It helps alot.

#7 ·
http://www.focusst.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21594

Well I received my Boomba Racing hat.

I would like to state the hat is very comfortable, especially with my bald head. Oh you want to hear about the Boomba Racing shifter bushings? Well I suppose.

Now previously I have been using the JBR bushings. These are good bushings, however the washer used as a top plate can bend if you tighten the bolts down to much. The Boomba bushing are machined aluminum top and bottom. This prevents bending and give a more solid mounting point. Now the install only took me 50 minutes. This has been the third time I have removed the center console. For someone who hasn't done this it should take about 1.5 hours. Here are few comparison picture between the stock, JBR and Boomba Racing bushings.

Left to right, stock, JBR, Boomba Racing.

Stock vs Boomba Racing

JBR vs Boomba Racing

Now back to the install. Boomba's directions are much better than JBR for one very good reason. Unlike the JBR direction that have you detach the plugs for the USB, memory card, and Auto video hooks ups from under their locations, Boomba has you detach the main harness connection in the passanger side foot well on the side of the center console. This make it much easier to removed the console. Here a some pictures of the boomba bushings fully installed.

#8 ·
As the proud owner of a 2013 Ford Focus ST I was also the recipient of the 1-2 bang. I had my original mounts swapped by Ford as part of the TSB. Well this helped but did not get rid of the problem. So I took matters into my own hands. Say hello to the Boomba rear motor mount. This piece is very well made and has been on my car for 2 years or so now. The hardest part of the mount install was attaching the downpipe bracket again. This is much easier if you leave the bolts for the bracket undone until you pop it back in place. With the mount in place the engine no longer has the hard shift bang. I do get vibrations at idle and more noticeably with the A/C on. Other that that it has been a great mount.

#15 ·
Grats man, wish I had the coin to get a sponsorship out here.. Make CPE proud :p

Reactions: UnfocusedST
#12 ·
Congrats on your sponsorship!

Reactions: UnfocusedST
#17 ·
Original thread found here. http://www.focusst.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12448

I received my short throw shifter today. After finding the noticed in my mail box I drove down to the post office to claim my box, and what a box it was. It contained 1 boomba racing Beanie, 2 boomba racing decals, 1 boomba racing key chain, and most importantly 1 boomba racing short throw shifter with instructions. I noticed the excellent build quality of this shifter it felt very solid in my hands.

I first added the black metal key chain to my existing ST key chain.

Next I waited impatiently to finish work at 8PM. Soon as I got home I pulled into the garage and noticed no wife. Her 07 Edge was not there. So I though I'm in luck. I grabbed my tools and started to removed the center console. I do high recommend read the instructions throughly and take your time. My install took me about 2 hours. Soon my center console was removed. Much better instructions than what I've seen to remove it. Soon as that was complete my wife's garage door opened and she pulled in. I greated my wife and walked over to my 2 year old daughter, picked her up and gave her a kiss. After they headed inside I continued. I removed the shifter base and pulled it over to my messy work area. Removing the pin was that hard part but makes the rest of the install so much easier. I ended up using long needle nose plyers to push it out. This made removing the spring a breeze. Next came removing the old shifter from the bracket that held it down. I didn't have a file like boomba recommends. What I do have is a dremel with a grinding wheel. This make quick work to removed enough plastic off the bottom of the shifter. Finally a reprieve. My phone started ringing. It was the wife telling me dinner was ready. I head inside to eat and see my daughter once more before she was off to bed. With my belly full I headed back to the garage. Now the easy part, assembling the boomba shifter in the base. This took no time at all.

Now came the reinstall back into the car. This also went quite quickly. Putting everything back from once it came.

Now with the car back together I noticed I will no longer hit my hand on my charger when plugged into my phone in its cradle. The next thing was how short and precise the shifter felt. I decided to take the car for a drive. The shifter felt awsome. I had a huge grin on my face while working the gears. Very short, firm and precise shifts all the way.

Now to the one negative thing about this review. I noticed there are more threads that the stock shifter. With this the shock knob has no issues but my Cobb knob screwed firmly down is now to close to the reverse lockout not allowing me to go into reverse. I may have to find someone to machine this down unless someone (boomba I'm talking to you) make a piece that will fix this. The point to were I can use reverse the knob is very loose. So for the mean time I'll use my stock knob.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase and would do it again.

#18 ·
I had same issue with cobb knob. I'm not sweating it now that anarchy motive makes badass compatible knobs

#20 ·
Symposer deletes. Most like them and they get rid of that broke sound symposer system. Well mine was broken. They also come in really handy when using an aftermarket boost gauge or custom bov setup. In my case I use if for my boost gauge. My sound symposer delete is the cp-e BlockD Sound Symposer Delete. This is a very nice piece that comes with a plug for blocking the added port and also a nipple attachment. The nipple attachment is great because it comes with its own O ring. So no need for Teflon tape to keep it air tight. Installation takes maybe 10 minutes if you completely remove all of the sound symposer hardware which helps clean up the engine bay.

Here's what it comes with. Sorry downpipe not included.

Installed.

#21 ·
Time to talk suspension. After doing alot of research I decided drop springs were not what I wanted at all. In my opinion most complete remove the tire fender gap in the rear while leaving some in the front. I under stand this is because the springs take the rake out of the car. Personally I love the rake. It gives this car a great aggressive stance. So I decided I needed something I could adjust to my liking. Also I wanted to be able to have camber plates up front. Since the only way to get this at the time is to buy coilovers that's what I did. I first started looking at all the coilovers on the market. I finally decided on a set of Fortune Auto Series 500 adjustable coilovers. After talking with one of our forum vendors about the coilovers and what I do with the car I made my decision. For daily driving and Auto x I decided to go with 8K springs in the front and 5.3K in the rear. Now the rear has no other options than that. I also went with the radial bearings in the front. This helps when turned you don't get and noise from the springs. So after placing my order I patently waited 5 weeks for delivery. Most would say "5 weeks no thanks" and order some off the shelf coilovers. Normally Fortune Auto takes about 3 weeks to assemble the coilovers before getting them in the mail. I ordered mine around Christmas so orders were fairly high. Another reason I went with Fortune Auto is like most of the aftermarket parts on my car like cp-e, boomba and a few others they are made here in the USA. This also means when it's time for a rebuild on the dampeners I don't have to send them overseas. These coilovers also come with a signed certificates of assembly.

As you can see these come with almost everything you might want for setting up your suspension. They even have shorter front end links. So say they are too short but I'll get to that in a bit. I just needed a few more parts.

The parts I still needed where adjustable camber arms and toe arms. One company I turned to for these was Massive Speed System. I've had a few of their parts on my old focus and loved them. So I picked up their race space camber and toe arms in Massive Speed purple. Buy now some may think my car is going to look like a rainbow on the underside. I have a silver rear sway bar, black and green coilovers and purple camber and toe arms. Honestly I like to see what's aftermarket. Also their purple is beautiful.

So I headed to a buddies house with a heated garage since it was still winter when we decided to install these. Put the car up on jack stands and got to work. Now many of you may know removing the fronts are a PITA. Honestly the ST is even more difficult than my 05 Focus with similar knuckles. It seemed like the suspension would not drop down far enough. Well after 3 hours of fighting we got the fronts out. Yes 3 hours. We took a small break to get some food and clear our heads. Now it's time to put the fronts in. I adjusted the coilovers of have the recommended spring preload and the amount of threads in the lower body before putting these into the car. Once I put the coilovers into the strut towers and put a couple nuts hand tight to keep them in place I had to laugh. There was a lot of gap between the bottom of the coilovers and the top of the knuckle. In fact I had to grab the jack and lift the knuckle into place.

Now before I start on the rear I have to make a few holes in my factory strut tower bar for the dampener adjustments. So I grab my dremel and get to work.

With that out of the way onto the rear section. Now I got a little wrench happy and took the springs, dampeners, camber arms, and toe arms sell out at once. Don't so this. Save your self the headach and do one thing st a time. Doing the dampener and spring at the same time is fine. With the spring out however the camber and toe arms help hold of the rest of the suspension. The spring will help hold while you have the arms out also. The once thing I noticed about the new dampeners that came with the coilovers is that they are upside down. This is not a mistake not a design flaw. They work just like they should like this. The advantage is you now have you dampener adjustment under the car instead of make a hole in your carpet and have to use the extenders they offer for other kits. Pretty nice really.

Now with most of the car back together it was time for a few hours of sleep. I think I might have gotten 3, perhaps 2 hours. Then off the the alignment shop for my appointment.

Not much time to let the suspension break in and completely settle but I had a 3.5 hour drive ahead of me. After the alignment it was back to my friends hour session for a nap before hitting the road to go back home. Now my next issue was I left the dampeners at the factory 5 clicks from softest. This was a mistake as my ride was very bouncy.

So after having the suspension on the car for a bit I has noises up front and in the rear. The rear turns out its from the solid bushings in the camber and toe arms. Not really that annoying. Just had to figure it out to. The front however was another issue. After raising the front just a touch and evening it out since the driver side was sitting 1/4" lower than the passanger I put the endlink that came with the kit. At first we thought they were too short and I put the factory endlink on. Well the makes the front sway bar hit the A arm. There is my front end noise. So I did some research on how to properly adjust end links. With the wright of the car on the suspension, in this case I used the jack on the suspension to compress it while the car is on jack stands. I adjust the new endlink to fit properly. They are plenty long for the new suspension. If you notice the end links attach much lower on the new struts. Also you want your sway bar to sit as neutral as you can. So with this figured out I took it in for another alignment to fix my pulling issue that correcting the height caused.

For everything that I've done I enjoy this new setup.

Now one issue I did find out. If you are going to run stock wheels with this get spacers.

With the factory tires these rub on the lower locking rings. Honestly you won't need much more than a 15mm spacer. I picked up a 20mm for my winter wheels and tires and have more than enough clearance.

#29 ·
Git something in the mail today. It's a Boosted Designs battery tie down.

For fun I decided to weight the stock vs the boosted design one. The results will amaze you.

Stock 83 grams.

Boosted Designs 44 grams.

I can feel my car being faster already.

This is a great little piece. It will be a nice surprise everytime I remove my battery cover. Who knows, maybe I'll leave the cover off.

#30 ·
Well I was getting tired of the grey section on my engine cover. It didn't match anything on the car. So it had to go. With a few suggestions from @COBBST I decided to paint my cover.

First thing I did was stayed it down with some engine cleaner I had laying around to get and residue off of it.

After cleaning it was time for taping off the sections that I didn't want painted. This took some time. I cut the tape using a box cutter. I think if I did this again I would use COBBST's idea of using pinstripes tape to mask off the curves.

Grabbed a piece of cardboard and began painting. I did several light coats to prevent runs. The paint I used is Krylon for plastics.

Once everything was dry I peeled the tape off.

Not to bad if I don't say so my self. It's not the best job. If you look close you can see my tape lines. I'm not a professional painter by any means.

Here is the final product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.