Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Documenting a coyote 5.0 build

7K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  SIstomper 
#1 · (Edited)
I have found myself tasked with building a coyote from a 2016 5.0 that recently didn't like boost or winter gas. Car is procharged and belongs to @StormTrooperST Car was running fine and made loads of power. As soon as they switched to winter gas we lost cylinder 8. The factory ring gaps are way too tight. The gap on the compression rings were 0.016. For boost thats no bueno. There was no damage to cylinders or block. This will be a stock bore motor. Cylinders are getting honed only. Motor was removed and now the fun begins. MMR supplied all the forged parts. Motor is getting Manley forged pistons and rods, MMR billet oil and timing gear, all long block bolt are ARP, and MMR upgraded timing chains. Heads will remain stock. Cylinder 8 valves will be replaced and chamber polished. I'm dropping the rotating assembly off tomorrow to be balanced with the new rods/pistons. We are shooting for 900 whp. I will keep you all updated as the build progresses.

Text Line Plot Parallel Pattern

Auto part Engine Vehicle

Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Tire Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Technology

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Auto part

Auto part Connecting rod Transmission part Bicycle part Automotive engine part

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice, my local friend Joe Holt is running low 9's @ 15xmph with his TT coyote stock motor and auto trans. This should be quite the capable beast once built.

Reactions: SIstomper
#5 ·
Got bored at work tonight and was browsing the interwebs looking for a tapered ring compressor. After not being able to find the bore size I need for under $60 bucks I said screw it and machined one. Picked up the rotating assembly today and will be honing and pressure washing the block tonight. Assembly will start tomorrow.

Product Circle Metal Plate Ceiling

#6 ·
Wow, looks like a fun build.

Just out of curiosity, which compressor and tune? P1SC and canned procharger tune?

I feel like these things shouldn't be tuned so close to the ragged edge that a switch to winter formulation causes them to grenade...

#7 ·
The shouldn't be boosted at 11:1 compression with cast pistons and rods LOL. The ring gap was too tight and the extra heat and a little knock popped it. This was the infamous cylinder 8. I went to the dealer to get parts and they had 2 new Mustangs with blown cylinder 8 with just tunes. We are installing the coolant bypass mod on the motor. There was a safe low timing tune in it with the P1SC at 9 lbs

#11 ·
Yes without them you get more oil pressure to the rod and main bearings. They dont clear the piston skirt either. The Boss and Ford Performance crate motors do not have squirters. According to MMR they are there to warm the pistons faster on cold starts. Some 11-12 coyote blocks didnt come with them either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.