Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    This user has no status.

Cost Comparison: Focus ST Vs. Seven Competitors

I live in St. Louis, MO, so granted the below is going to be skewed a bit from state to state depending on the incentives. And given that it's October, I'm sure these numbers will fluctuate month to month as well, again depending on the incentives.

I decided to line up all the usual suspects in the hot-hatch category in a toe-to-toe comparison, cost-wise. Why? Because race car. And because the kids are asleep.

Criteria: Where possible I chose 4 doors over 2. Manual only. No options added, base prices only including destination charge. No AWD(sorry Subie). Disclaimer: I'm 100% certain that I've probably forgotten one or two cars that could be added to this list, so I apologize ahead of time. Blame Budweiser.

And I'm giving two prices: one is the MSRP. The other is from the TrueCar app connected to ConsumerReports.com. In short: CR.com will let you price out a car using their "official" TrueCar app, which quotes a price that a dealer is willing to give you if you fill out a short online form and allow the dealer to contact you. It's a pretty good thermometer for just how low you could probably negotiate below the MSRP and still get a dealer to make it happen. Not perfect, but good enough for a means test.

Here goes:

2014 Focus ST: MSRP: $24,910 (again, including destination). CR: $21,691.00
    2013 Civic SI Sedan: MSRP $23,510.00. CR: $21,395.00 (I know the SI isn't a hatch. It always seems to show up anyway in these comparos though, doesn't it?)
    2013 Fiat Abarth: MSRP $22,895.00. CR: $22,033.00
    2013 Hy Veloster: MSRP $22,895.00. CR: $21,062.00
    2013 GTI (4 dr): MSRP $25,390.00. CR: $21,906.00
    2013 MS3: MSRP $24,995.00. CR: $23,250.00
    2013 Cooper S: MSRP $24,000.00. CR: $23,734
    2014 Fiesta ST: $22,195.00. CR: $20,759.00

So who wins? Using the highest percentage discount, the GTI and ST are neck and neck for October. They seem to have the most incentives going on for buyers. On the flip side, it appears Cooper and Fiat are giving most buyers the middle finger discount right now.

And check out CR's Fiesta ST price. Not bad at all for what you get.

Roz
    is like a GTI, but better

2014 Focus ST: MSRP: $24,910 (again, including destination). CR: $21,691.00
    ---I'm biased, but I love my Focus ST

2013 Civic SI Sedan: MSRP $23,510.00. CR: $21,395.00 (I know the SI isn't a hatch. It always seems to show up anyway in these comparos though, doesn't it?)
    ---Being honest, I finally tested this car. It's quite nice on the inside, the shifter's typical Honda, and the price is ok. To be honest, we have a normal Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo for a company car, and I felt as much rear-end pull in that thing as I did in the SI. Just my own butt-dyno opinion.

2013 Fiat Abarth: MSRP $22,895.00. CR: $22,033.00
    --no comment, other than it's a bit too small for my family

2013 Hy Veloster: MSRP $22,895.00. CR: $21,062.00
    --same as Fiat comment

2013 GTI (4 dr): MSRP $25,390.00. CR: $21,906.00
    --I'll admit that my bias against GTI's have a lot to do with the owners and not the cars themselves. I test drove a MKV and was quite happy with it. I do like the car, but the car owners...
    I'm betting the resale price of a GTI (that's been properly maintained) would beat a similarly cared for ST, due to the badge.

If you do decide on the GTI, my advice would be to wait until the MKVII's come out next year. Although if you can find a dealer who really wants to get rid of his MKVI's you should be able to get that price even lower.

2013 MS3: MSRP $24,995.00. CR: $23,250.00
    --hooligan of a car, I just couldn't get the Mazda grin out of my head. Nothing but good things to say about this one otherwise. Resale will probably be better than a Ford.

2013 Cooper S: MSRP $24,000.00. CR: $23,734
    --Same as Abarth comment

2014 Fiesta ST: $22,195.00. CR: $20,759.00
    --can't wait to drive one

This user has no status.

Thanks Roz. Point taken on the GTI. VWs just scare the hell out of me when it comes to repairs. Too many memories of my uncle's Passat up on blocks every other weekend with another issue.

I spend too much of my life on FST! mnsandonato's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by pquigs7 View Post
    Thanks Roz. Point taken on the GTI. VWs just scare the hell out of me when it comes to repairs. Too many memories of my uncle's Passat up on blocks every other weekend with another issue.
    Unfortunately that's true..but if you get the 6 speed manual a lot of the issues are gone. The DSG makes up a large portion of VW issues now days.

This user has no status.

Wait for the mk7 GTI to compare. I have a mk6 gti and it was nice when new but car is starting to squeak and rattle. the DSG tranny is really fun and the look is more mature than the focus. Over the last 3 years only had an issue with the coil packs (you can buy R8 ones to replace them for around $100)

I like the drivetrain of the si, a fun naturally aspirated car. Fairly practical and proven reliability

The mazdaspeed has a beast of an engine and many similarities to the focus, interior is really bland though. Where I am there are lightly used 2010/2011's for about 10k less than a new focus st. Definitely worth considering, make sure to find a relatively unmolested one though.

Cooper S, current model is pretty old, but I took one out on the racetrack recently and loved the balance, easy to drive and doesn't feel front heavy like most of these cars on the track. Feels a lot better built than the fiat

Fiat is overpriced and I felt the car was a little flimsy. Haven't test driven the abarth yet so can't really give an opinion. Not really interested in it whatsoever.

This user has no status.

Thanks Justinsane. The MK7 does sound like a pretty cool car, at least based on the reviews. Thankfully the design has gotten a bit better/sharper too. It'll be interesting to see the price though. I can't imagine VW raising it that much without the cost getting out of hand for their average buyer.

This user has no status.

Good to know on the manual--thank you--

Links