Excellent Thank You!
Here's a laundry list of things to check for before we should drive off the lot. These have been been observed/recorded by more than one individual here or at FordSTNation.
- Per Jeffs FRC, lower control arm bolts observed to be insufficiently torqued to the point of coming off completely (MAJOR hazard).
- Loose air intake piping observed in air filter outlet.
- Insufficient clamp tension on air intake/intercooler hoses (results in blown hoses and malfunctioning boost).
- Insufficient clamp tension on radiator hoses (SEVERAL instances resulting in the complete loss of radiator fluid on the road and a tow).
- Take engine cover off and look for an orphaned vacuum port. If present, cap/seal off or take to dealer (results in malfunctioning boost).
- Headlight delamination from seal (leading to water ingress and fouling).
- Shifter linkage coming apart (somebody got stuck in 2nd gear).
- Loose battery wires (make sure tightened before driving off the lot!).
- Warped plastic at the exterior base of the front windshield.
- Damaged windshield side moulding.
- "Hood gap" height/alignment adjustment.
- Rear tail light contact with body / rubbing paint.
- Rubber insert for center console cupholders missing (check glove compartment, spare tire cubbies).
- Door sill decal plate missing.
- Functional wipers and not in contact with body.
- Scuff marks.
- Check all fluid caps.
- Check spare tire well for pooled water after rain/wash.
- Glitches/bugs with the ST2/ST3 sound system (system will continue playing, even when car turned off), may require software update.
- Broken hood release.
- Cut/torn seats when dealer removed plastic wrap with a knife (not a manufacturing defect).
- Rear tailgate not aligned properly.
These are real issues, and I really do think we should be cognisant of these issues, either at the dealership or inspect at home before you do serious miles on your new vehicle. I know I will.
I'll be updating this list as time goes on.
PS: My car had to go through a pre-delivery checklist before I received it. I get the feeling that not all dealerships do this.
Last edited by ajwan; 03-19-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Updated March 19, 2013 - Added "control arm bolts".
Excellent Thank You!
2013 Focus ST Tangerine Scream
Didn't someone heave the shfiter linkage come apart also?
1996 Mustang GT Procharged
It happened ajwan...add it to the list! Members ST got stuck in second
thinking i will print this list out and take it with me whenever i get the call for my car!
2013 Focus ST - Race Red ST3
2004 Mustang GT - Silver Metallic - Procharged - 391rwhp 399rwtq...currently down
Thanks for the list, I am a headlight de-lamination myself. I will be checking all my hoses this weekend now.
2013 Focus ST Race Red
Given what we've seen, maybe the adage of "build-date-during-the-week" holds true. I hope my car is finished on a Wednesday and NOT a Monday or Friday, wouldn't want to see an engine or windshield missing!!!
Last edited by ajwan; 10-26-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Thank you so much for this post! And, yes please update if more info comes your way.
2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black