Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New to the world of DSLR/Photography...pointers?

is This user has a status.

New to the world of DSLR/Photography...pointers?

So I finally got tired of not having a real camera and always relying on my cell phone for pics. I went out and picked up a camera at the advice of my father. He recommended an EOS Rebel T3 as a good starter camera. I found a bundle with an additional lens and I picked it up. So far so good, I went out today and took some pictures. Does anyone have any good pointers as to taking good pictures? There are a lot of settings that are new to me, and the manual that came with the camera is pretty basic in that it doesn't really tell me a whole lot. Does anyone have any links to some good reads on photography basics? I took a bunch of pics today and attached a few here. These are the ones I like best:

Name:  new album 8.15.13 020.JPG
Views: 907
Size:  1.48 MB
    Name:  815 021.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  3.49 MB
    Name:  815 011.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  1.46 MB
    Last edited by ChrisAFguy; 08-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    SprintA3 likes this.

is Woof.

I'm pretty new at the whole photography thing as well, for practice, I've been doing small shoots for friends of their cars to kinda get a hang of things. One of the things I like to do with pictures is rather than have the main focus object front and center, having it off towards the side or in a corner and capturing a lot of scenery with it as well. Here is a couple examples:

Theres also the profile shots: front on, side, special instances like stance or nice features.

I've only had my DSLR since May and I'm still learning new stuff with it!

This user has no status.

Get comfortable with Lightroom.
    Adzy likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! SplytSecond's Avatar
    is on the hunt for ST parts..

I spend too much of my life on FST! Adzy's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Some tips for shooting cars:

Never ever shoot the car with a big light post or power pole extending above/behind it, it distracts the viewer from the shot and detracts interest from the car.. same goes for cluttered back grounds that have too much going on; you want the foreground and background to be pretty clear as the car then pops out as the star point of the shot.

Never shoot the tire tread but angle the car/steering so you shoot the face of the wheel.

Where possible place the subject (car) on the right hand side of the shot as we naturally look at pictures from left to right the same way we read (or at least stick to the rule of thirds), I thought this was garbage until I applied it; you can make the same picture look so much better from just placing the subject on the right side of the shot. NEVER PLACE THE CAR IN THE DEAD CENTER this just looks tacky.

Shoot in thirds also; if the sky looks awesome have that take up 2 thirds of the shot, if the foreground looks better have that in 2 thirds of the shot.

Find the right angle/composition to shoot the car on; you may take 20 shots and 1 looks fantastic because you got the angle just right. Try getting down low and shooting your car looking upwards from the ground. move around the car in a circle while keeping an eye on potential new angles you could shoot from.

Shoot on smooth concrete or tarmac as the shot looks more clean and purposeful, remember to remove any rubbish or debris from the shot also; of course if shooting a 4wd a rugged outdoor setting would be better.

If shooting in harsh sunlight (never ideal) make sure you shoot the bright side of the car and not the shadowed side.

Try to shoot the car at heights and angles that we normally dont see (a height other than eye level). For eg: take shots from waist height or from above your head as this draws the viewer into the shot more due to seeing the angle of a car which we dont see so oftenl this works a treat. Eg: Shot this from way above my head...

Always aim for the golden hours to shoot your car also, this is one hour before sunset and one hour before sun rise. You want that beautiful soft light which is resonating through the clouds and horizon but not direct light from the sun. Wait for the sun to dip down behind the horizon and you will get some awesome shots at the right moment.
    Cowlynz and RPhilMan1 like this.
    Unleashed Tune | Cobb RMM | Cobb Shifter Bracket | 18x9 TD Pro Race 1.2 ET35 | Eibach Pro | CP-E intercooler | CP-E Exhale HKS SSQV | Milltek DP Milltek cat back

I spend too much of my life on FST! Adzy's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Here is another example of composition; shot at a very low angle whilst also on a side angle to the street which gives the shot some depth and draws you into the image more....
    Name:  -1560.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  962.3 KB
    RPhilMan1 likes this.
    Unleashed Tune | Cobb RMM | Cobb Shifter Bracket | 18x9 TD Pro Race 1.2 ET35 | Eibach Pro | CP-E intercooler | CP-E Exhale HKS SSQV | Milltek DP Milltek cat back

is non sibi sed aliis

Practice shooting in manual mode here for a little bit, it'll give you a better understanding of how apature, iso, and shutter speed work. http://camerasim.com/

The presets will always be your enemy, so learn to shoot in M quick
    Learn the rule of thirds http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

Also learn about depth of field
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

Sent using 1s and 0s
    Last edited by ricepuddin; 08-16-2013 at 06:03 PM.

is This user has a status.

Thanks for all the pointers. I definitely have a lot of reading to do. I always wanted to get into photography so I figured this was a good place to start.

is depressed at all the crap on
    the car

As some have said:

1- Learn the basics of composition... emphasis on isolating your subject/object and getting the best angle at the best time of day/best light.
    2- ALWAYS shoot in RAW mode and learn either Lightroom or PhotoShop/with the Camera RAW module. PM for details on why this is so important.
    3- Always shoot tons of pics more than needed... including various exposures of the same shot.
    4- Buy a polarizing filter. It's a great help with choosing the amount of reflection you get from glass surfaces... and a car is covered with them.
    5- Practice makes perfect...

Happy hunting!
    Race Red ST3

This user has no status.

Lots of great info here. I don't want to take the thread TOO far off track or detract from the OP's questions... but to the experts, what's a good starting camera? We have all this other great information and intelligent forum members in this thread, just curious what their take is on a good camera for new guys.
    Last edited by E Green SVT; 08-16-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links