Ford Focus ST Forum banner

My first Focus St Video

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bluestangii 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

I introduced myself the other day and today I wanted to share one of my first car videos. I know it's not great but it's a start. Feel free to comment her and give any advice of criticism. If you have any ideas for future videos I'd like to hear them.

#2 ·
One main suggestion I have is learn to edit to the song you are using, in this case it never really matched the song and just makes it obvious that you are new. :p

Ways to improve:
1) Cut with the beat, makes it feel as if the sound and video are more connected.
2) This one is harder, but try and feel the music and make shots that fit the mood at the moment. ex. the sound at 1:23 seems better for a slow pan that starts at part of the car and moves along while slowly moving farther from the car, and at the end shows a large portion of the car or maybe even just a pan of the side of the car with the river/valley as the main real estate in the shot( basically end something similar to 1:27 but maybe from farther away to include more car if you wanted).
3) Make shots that fit the song, so plan out to sections of the song, rather than fit shots to the song after the fact.
4) Slow rolling shots fit slow sections of the song where there is little defined beat by bass/drums. But in general rolling shots, if possible, do add a lot to a video.

If you want a great example of how to really edit to music and to get a feel for what I was trying to explain in words check out krispy media on youtube for his amazing car edits.

Some of this just takes feeling, more than "skill", because if you can feel out a song and imagine a type of shot that fits the mood or edit in a way that is smooth, concise and on beat your quality will be much, much better.

To be honest to a fault, I would not have watched the video unless it was because you asked for advice...I could feel that you may not have put much "feeling" or "heart" into the edit as would be expected of a great edit, but this isn't bad for your first video. If you want ideas for content you could just go to different visually interesting locations and make videos with your car there, like a mini series of where your car "goes". I think that would be interesting and create a niche for you in the automotive video world. You could also apply that to friends cars, and get them to do series along with your car, so you could get more content and learn more from the experience.

BTW the locations you choose was a strong suit of the video, so you did really good on that part.

Hope this helps, don't take offense to anything, I could have been more harsh but there is no need for that. You did okay for your first try though!

#4 ·
I like the use of some of MOOGs music. I agree with the above comments, could have been more matched to the beat. That aside, this is a very good first video. Keep up the work, your videos will get better every time. I have made quite a few videos and i know how hard is to get all these shots, and how much is put into the editing, but it is much easier if you have a friend or two to help. This makes rolling shots possible and gets ideas bouncing around, also you will have a little "peer review" group to make sure the video is top notch before publishing.

Just my 2 cents. Love to see more people getting into content creation.

#7 ·
I thought of something to help you after posting that.

Pick a song before filming, and go to a location, losten to the song through headphones, that way you can get the timing and use your eyes as the canera to see if it feels right. If it does then go to the start of that part of the song and play it for yourself while filming.

#9 ·
You really gotta get that car moving in the video. For something like this, a stationary car is only gonna keep an audience for so long. You could run some off angle interior driving shots, or even a slow rolling shot. The car is nice (minus the wing risers, but that's just me), but not 3:14 nice. It's hard for most people to even watch a supercar youtube video for that long. Give 'em some action. You got the editing skills enough for this to work. Great start though. I like the video to the beat ideas that these guys are giving you.

#10 ·
Here are some more examples of syncing music to the shots. This is a video i made 3+ years ago and was shot mostly on a Samsung Galaxy S4 i think.

It took a bit more effort, but when editing, i tried my best to sync the drops in the beat to when the shot changed or when i was shifting later in the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.