Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How much Horse Power can the Focus ST handle? MODS and warranty?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much Horse Power can the Focus ST handle? MODS and warranty?

Does anybody know for a fact how much HP this new 2.0 turbo can handle before things start to break? Also if you throw a SCT tune on it im guessing it would void the small warranty that comes with it? I just worry that the engine in this car is so new that it still has to pass the test of time with modding it. Ive also read on here that ford is being very strict with mods and they will void the warranty.. I just know the 252 hp that this car comes with will be no where near the power i need and i want to at least do a tune, cold air intake, lighter wheels, exhaust.. I dont think there really extreme mods and i would be pissed if ford voided my warranty because of them if something would go wrong!

Premium Member
    is not amused...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The car may be new, but the engine is well tested and has been in use for a while now. As for how much power can it handle, I'm sure Ford knows as they race this engine. Don't think anyone on here has pushed theirs to the breaking point to find out. You can always put in a tune and flash back to stock before going into your dealer if you are worried about voiding your warrantee; don't think an exhaust is going to be a problem, but you could ask at your local dealer ship what will and will not void you.

Mods List:

3 really cool stickers that make me do this>...5 hp each.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfred View Post
    The car may be new, but the engine is well tested and has been in use for a while now. As for how much power can it handle, I'm sure Ford knows as they race this engine. Don't think anyone on here has pushed theirs to the breaking point to find out. You can always put in a tune and flash back to stock before going into your dealer if you are worried about voiding your warrantee; don't think an exhaust is going to be a problem, but you could ask at your local dealer ship what will and will not void you.
    Ya that is a big part of it... All about what dealer you buy your car from and how picky they are! I would like to get to around or above 300HP. I think that would be a good start for a 3,200lbs car. Ive heard some dealers can tell if you had a tune on your car even if you flash it back.. Its something that they apparently check for.. all my cars that i ever did tunes out were out of warranty when i did them so it didnt matter.. But when i get my ST im going to do it as soon as possible. Just dont want to screw my warranty.

is wondering if you've hugged
    your ST today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    Does anybody know for a fact how much HP this new 2.0 turbo can handle before things start to break? Also if you throw a SCT tune on it im guessing it would void the small warranty that comes with it? I just worry that the engine in this car is so new that it still has to pass the test of time with modding it. Ive also read on here that ford is being very strict with mods and they will void the warranty.. I just know the 252 hp that this car comes with will be no where near the power i need and i want to at least do a tune, cold air intake, lighter wheels, exhaust.. I dont think there really extreme mods and i would be pissed if ford voided my warranty because of them if something would go wrong!
    If you "need" way more power, then go buy a GT500.

Not sure what you mean by "small warranty" - you get 60K miles powertrain. If you push the limits on the car, you have to expect that it might void that warranty. Also, based on what I've read in other posts, they're on the lookout for those who've restored the original tune after changing it. Like ddfred says - talk to the service department and make sure.

Premium Member
    is not amused...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuxomSpaceFish View Post

Not sure what you mean by "small warranty" - you get 60K miles powertrain. If you push the limits on the car, you have to expect that it might void that warranty. Also, based on what I've read in other posts, they're on the lookout for those who've restored the original tune after changing it. Like ddfred says - talk to the service department and make sure.
    I'm on a first name basis with the service writer I go through, and she's not sure what they are going to put up with. I'm not taking any chances until I find out.
    ST_org4124 likes this.

Mods List:

is wondering if you've hugged
    your ST today...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better safe than sorry, ddfred, when everyone started going nuts and modifying their MZR engines in the Speed6 and 3, it turned out a new one cost several thousand dollars (close to 8K I believe) - not something I'd want to risk for even an extra 70 HP.

Personally, if I wanted that much power, I'd start with a more powerful car. I'm happy with what this car does stock (though a modest improvement would always be welcome) combined with the fact that I can throw a couple of mountain bikes in the back. It's just not worth voiding the warranty to me.
    Kragbax and Breezeknees like this.

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying the tune and the motor mount, plus I threw in a K&N filter - which isn't really a performance booster. That's about as far as I'm going for the foreseeable future. So far everything has been running fine - nothings been "out of whack" with any guages, it's performance, etc. Whenever I plan on going in to the dealer I'll be sure to reflash to stock long before. If there's an issue, I guess I'll deal with it then.
    ST_org4124 likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuxomSpaceFish View Post

No need to get all smart! I dont think 290hp to 300hp is out of the question with this car and that would be plenty for a 3,200lbs car as i said... But for me its also about the gas mpg not just horsepower! If it was just about horsepower id just keep my 300 SRT8 Im right at about 450hp with it right now. But its not! 3 YEAR 60K Is a small warranty! My wifes New KIA sorento has a 10 year warranty with it... and most other companys are at least 5 year 100,000
    Last edited by TheZman; 10-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Premium Member
    is not amused...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
    No need to get all smart! I dont think 290hp to 300hp is out of the question with this car and that would be plenty for a 3,200lbs car as i said... But for me its also about the gas mpg not just horsepower! If it was just about horsepower id just keep my 300 SRT8 Im right at about 450hp with it right now. But its not! 3 YEAR 60K Is a small warranty! My wifes New KIA sorento has a 10 year warranty with it... and most other companys are at least 5 year 100,000
    Those long warrantees (which are usually non-transferable) are to entice you into buying the car. Car manufacturers know that the majority of people do not keep their car for 10 years or 100,000 miles; they do a lot of research in this area. They are playing the numbers; 60,000 is about the average length of ownership and Ford gives you a real world number up front. They are all betting that you won't keep the car long enough to make use of the warrantee.
    ST_org4124 likes this.

Mods List:

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfred View Post
    Those long warrantees (which are usually non-transferable) are to entice you into buying the car. Car manufacturers know that the majority of people do not keep their car for 10 years or 100,000 miles; they do a lot of research in this area. They are playing the numbers; 60,000 is about the average length of ownership and Ford gives you a real world number up front. They are all betting that you won't keep the car long enough to make use of the warrantee.
    LOL... If thats the case there betting wrong on my wife. She plans on keeping it for a very long time! And also they are tranferable cause we looked at the used ones first before we decided on the new one instead and they still had the remander of the factory warranty except for the second owner it just drops to 5 years instead of getting the full 10 or what ever is left over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links