Ford Focus ST Forum banner

The ST Exhaust Thread

1M views 5K replies 952 participants last post by  ddfred 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The most complete list of Exhaust systems for your 2013-2014 Focus ST. If you are a producer or a representative of a company that produces an exhaust system for the Focus ST, and you're exhaust is not on this list, or has incorrect information, please PM me and I'll update this post.

Brand:
Borla

Cost:
$879.64 - $785.39

Size/Type:

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

Brand: MagnaFlow

Cost:
~$659.99

Size/Type:
5 x 14in. Resonator; 5 x 14in. Muffler; 2.5in. Tubing; 4in. Polished Stainless Steel Tips; DUAL CENTER REAR EXIT

Advertised Power Gain:
HP gain is 9hp and TQ gain is 6ftlbs

Product Photo:

Video(s) of Magnaflow Cat-Back:

Brand:
Milltek

Cost:
~$848.41 Excluding VAT

Size/Type:
5 x 14in. Resonator; 5 x 14in. Muffler; 2.5in. Tubing; 4in. Polished Stainless Steel Tips; DUAL CENTER REAR EXIT

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:
Muffler Automotive exhaust Auto part Metal Pipe

Material property

Video of Milltek Cat-Back:

Brand:
Flowmaster

Cost:
$750.53

Size/Type:
2.25 inch mandrel bent stainless steel tubing, and 3.25 x 3.75 inch oval polished stainless steel tips

Advertised Power Gain:
N/A

Product Photo:
Automotive exhaust Auto part Muffler Exhaust system Automotive super charger part

Video of Flowmaster Cat-Back:

Brand:
FSWERKS

Race Exhaust
Cost:
$679.95

Size/Type:

3" diameter mandrel bent T304 stainless steel tubing

Advertised Power Gain:
+8.6hp +2.2tq

Product Photo:

Stealth Exhaust
Cost: $749.95
Product Photo:

Installed Photo:

Video of FSWERKS Cat-Back:

Brand: Buschur Racing

Cost:
N/A

Size/Type:
We chose to do a 2.5" catback. The system is built entirely of 304 grade stainless steel and is mandrel bent. The tip is oval 3.5" x 6" that fits real nice in the rear bumper. There are reasons why we chose a 2.5" system and I realize everyone is going to want to jump on a 3" catback system.

Advertised Power Gain:
4 HP & 4TQ

Product Photo:

Installed Photo:

Video of Buschur Racing Cat-less turbo-back:
!

New from Mongoose Exhausts!

Brand: Mongoose Exhausts (available as cat back, turbo back with decat or turbo back with 100, 200 or 300 cell sports cat)

Cost: From $840

Size/Type: 3" system (tailpipe choices - 2x4" rolled in, 2x4" rolled in slash cut 2x5" rolled in slash cut, triple 3.5" rolled in or 2x4" carbon trims)

Product Image of Mongoose Exhaust:

Photo of Mongoose Exhaust Installed:

Video of Mongoose Exhaust:
Coming Soon

Brand:
cp-e™

Model
Austenite™ 3″ Dual Cat Back Exhaust

Cost:
$995.00 - $1170 (Optional Exhaust Tips)

Size/Type:
Full 3.00” mandrel bent 304 stainless steel, custom cast Stainless Flanges, reliable hangers, custom made Stainless Mufflers and polished stainless tips

Advertised Power Gain:
Gains: HP Dyno: http://cp-e.com/wp/product/focus-st-...back-exhaust/#
Torque Dyno: http://cp-e.com/wp/product/focus-st-...-back-exhaust/

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

Brand:
mbrp

Model
Pro Series / XP Series

Cost:
$678.16 - $838.96

Size/Type:
3" Cat Back, Dual Center Outlet

Advertised Power Gain:
Gains: Dyno: http://mbrpautomotive.com/products/dyno/S4200.pdf

Product Photo:

Video of Borla Cat-Back:

[/CENTER]

See less See more
8 15
#4,536 ·
Anyone have any experience with the MRT axle-back? Sound clips seem decent enough for my purposes.

#4,547 ·
took off muffler and resonator. Added in a full boar 2 chamber race muffler with SS tips. Honestly it is too damn loud lol. Gonna go back tomorrow and have a small resonator put on before the axle to tone it down some. Other then that i freaking love how it gurgles and sounds. Overall cost was $230 installed

Attachments

#4,554 ·
/\ what he said and.....
exhaust will be the only thing loosing it's warranty... but even if a Ford dealer install shop installs it you still loose the warranty on the stock exhaust and they aren't going to warranty the new one. Nothing else on the car will loose warranty coverage

#4,556 ·
So I'm debating doing the so-called 'Magnaflow custom exhaust' - i.e. putting a Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock resonator, removing the stock muffler. Typically people who do this are using the 14 inch muffler, but I'm debating the 18 inch muffler to deepen tone/reduce the volume a bit. Does anyone have any experience with that larger muffler, or sound clips of the setup?

#4,557 · (Edited)
FLOWMASTER Super10

Going with what I think my be a unique, if not singular route:

Cut off the muffler last night and getting a Flowmaster "Super10" installed today, in place of the muffler, and a custom tail-pipe to end piece (an 8"x2" rectangular outlet) all other elements are still stock (Cat., resonator).
Auto part Muffler

Expecting this to sound good, will post a shot of it after it's all in + a sound review.

#4,559 ·
FLOWMASTER Installed

Got the Super10 installed sans the end-piece, it hasn't arrived yet, should be on the car by Friday, though. I couldn't wait to get the FM on so I had them just keep a sacrificial tail length. Looks kinda funny with the single 2.5" pipe protruding... only temporary, it'll be cut short when the end-piece replaces it.

REVIEW:
Very underwhelmed - this is what the FM site has to say about the Super10 -"Flowmaster’s new Super 10™ series mufflers are so aggressive that we can’t even recommend them for use on street driven vehicles. Best suited to racing applications, they utilize the same patented Delta Flow performance technology...these short, single chamber mufflers are not for the faint of heart delivering as close to open pipe sound as is possible...The most aggressive muffler we offer. Recommended for racing applications" In fact I even called FM to discuss the application of the Super10 on my Focus and they discouraged it - saying it would be too loud. I disregarded their input because my own experiences didn't mesh with their advice.
I have modified many, many cars' (and motorcycles') exhausts, I've looped off the mufflers on my EcoBoost Flex and just ran it straight (still had cats and resonator), did the same on my MINI Countryman S (still had cats and resonator) and they both sounded a subdued mean. Usually when you modify the exhaust you want performance and sound, at least I do. Well I am pretty confident I got some of the former (but not dyno-ed to verify) - the Super10 is a considerably lighter and much free-er flowing muffler, but I do not think I gained any of the latter.
My FoST's new sound in a single acronym: OEM

I cut my muffler off myself and drove to the shop thinking - wow this is pretty loud-droney at 1500-2000 RPM, I really hope the Super10 fixes that. It did. I am telling you this thing sounds damn near identical to stock. The only additional 'noise' I now hear is a very unobtrusive/low-volume "whoooooosh" when WOT and in the boost.

I was hoping for more sound, but I'll take this for a few-10thousands miles or so and then go full-on Kevin's mom.

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Exhaust system

Reactions: lx_2nv
#4,562 ·
Got the Super10 installed sans the end-piece, it hasn't arrived yet, should be on the car by Friday, though. I couldn't wait to get the FM on so I had them just keep a sacrificial tail length. Looks kinda funny with the single 2.5" pipe protruding... only temporary, it'll be cut short when the end-piece replaces it.

Should have taken it to a decent muffler shop that would actually mandrel bend it instead of crush bent, looks terrible.

#4,560 ·
I really tried it out too

I ran the car up over 110MPH from a 10ish MPH roll-on about 4 or 5 times. I did a substantial multi-second 4th gear WOT run and also brought it into the 130s+ a couple times and it really was not loud. The symposer still steals the show, tbh.

I am really surprised by how subdued and docile the Super10 sounds. If you want noise and such do not get the Super10. If you want OEM quiet, less weight, and much free-er flowing - this is it.

#4,575 ·
I ran the car up over 110MPH from a 10ish MPH roll-on about 4 or 5 times. I did a substantial multi-second 4th gear WOT run and also brought it into the 130s+ a couple times and it really was not loud. The symposer still steals the show, tbh.

I am really surprised by how subdued and docile the Super10 sounds. If you want noise and such do not get the Super10. If you want OEM quiet, less weight, and much free-er flowing - this is it.
Have you considered a resonator delete? That should fix your 'too quiet' issue.

#4,564 ·
New tip installation thought

Going to get this 'upgrade,' I hear this is a reputable shop, they've been in the news and I heard all their bends are mandrel:

If you haven't seen this you don't know what you're missing:

#4,565 ·
Going to get this 'upgrade,' I hear this is a reputable shop, they've been in the news and I heard all their bends are mandrel:

View attachment 215377

If you haven't seen this you don't know what you're missing:

Thanks I needed a good laugh!

#4,568 ·
tip looks good to me

#4,570 ·
Dual tips are cool, but they're *everywhere*, even the GMC SUVs have dual duals, it's way over-played, IMO.

I saw a similar set up, to what I am installing, on a MINI Cooper S once and thought it was kick-ass. I had planned on keeping the OEM tip because it's a unique dual-single outlet that I think looks cool, but its pipe centerline to centerline was too wide to make it work well; anyway I went with this - it's scheduled to arrive today and will go on tomorrow morning, I will definitely post pics of it installed. Got it online (GENSSI Muffler Tip Exhaust Tail Pipe Black (ID: 2.5" OD: 8"x2.25 Length: 10" Rectangle Straight) )

Electronic device

#4,580 ·
Dual tips are cool, but they're *everywhere*, even the GMC SUVs have dual duals, it's way over-played, IMO.

I saw a similar set up, to what I am installing, on a MINI Cooper S once and thought it was kick-ass. I had planned on keeping the OEM tip because it's a unique dual-single outlet that I think looks cool, but its pipe centerline to centerline was too wide to make it work well; anyway I went with this - it's scheduled to arrive today and will go on tomorrow morning, I will definitely post pics of it installed. Got it online (GENSSI Muffler Tip Exhaust Tail Pipe Black (ID: 2.5" OD: 8"x2.25 Length: 10" Rectangle Straight) )

View attachment 215921
looks like part of my vacuum cleaner

Reactions: NimbusST and Njst13
#4,578 ·
Rectangular Tip installed

Got the tip put on today. It's a hair off center, ever so slightly to the passenger side - but that's (IMO) only if you're really, really lookin', and most observers, except those super-anal (me :nerd:) will never notice. Very pleased with how it all turned out (though a lil' more noise woulda been liked...). I really like the rectangular outlet, it's exactly the look that I wanted.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Bumper
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Bumper Trunk

Reactions: lx_2nv
#4,579 ·
Got the tip put on today. It's a hair off center, ever so slightly to the passenger side - but that's (IMO) only if you're really, really lookin', and most observers, except those super-anal (me :nerd:) will never notice. Very pleased with how it all turned out (though a lil' more noise woulda been liked...). I really like the rectangular outlet, it's exactly the look that I wanted.

View attachment 216569 View attachment 216577
Nice install, very unique. Definitely off centre a bit though...

If we're being honest, it's not really my thing. I think it really clashes with the body lines in an awkward way. As with all things like this, it's highly subjective. It's your canvas to do with what you will.

#4,582 · (Edited)
Final pic of Hoover tip

Out on the street (versus earlier driveway pict. and from normal viewpoint / height).
I really like it.
(and yes, it's snowing in KS today, WTF...)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Ford

Also did the 3rd brake light paint with MetalCast and clear coat (thanks to this thread & pic: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...rd-brake-light-red-post763218.html#post763218) I couldn't stand the clear lens - especially on RacerRed, simple mod, looks sooo good.

#4,587 · (Edited)
well if I was to be perfectly honest I wouldn't have ever thought it was going to look good. and it doesn't.

But if you like it, really all that matters. it is one of a kind ;)
It is one of a kind on an ST as far as I know... it's the start of a trend, somebody's gotta blaze the tail, I mean trail. Kinda reminds me of a USB port too, tbh, and I guess it does look like an older Camaro's tip too, hadn't made that connection.
:banana:

I do 'love' it - makes me smile when I see it, so does the car in general; as ol' Martha Stewart used to say - "And that's a good thing."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.