Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH ram intake (Snorkel) Data Collection

26K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  MonsterTuned 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share our data collection with you. Testing took place on the same car, with the same conditions on the same road. All variables held constant, the only change was the addition of the BIG MOUTH intake (snorkel).

Most of you know we put a lot of aerospace level design methodology into this inlet. Velossa Tech was founded by aerospace engineers, all proficient in computational fluids analysis and all have an obsession with attention to detail and continuous improvement.

'Some' of you think it's just witchcraft, and that lowsy science schmience. I say nay, science is not schmience, science is real!

Real I tell you!!!

The purpose of our ram intake is to very efficiently (I hate using this word) convert dynamic pressure into usable static pressure and as a result of this, increase mass air flow to the engine. The way this is done is the witchcraft part on my side, the only thing you need to know, there is no better ram inlet on the market than the BIG and BIGGER MOUTH systems. They also look cool too, duh.

There should be no doubt in your minds that this is not just a 'look cool' mod, but also a very functional power mod!

First plot shows Airflow in lbm/min vs. Engine speed in 3rd gear. We picked up airflow everywhere which was expected.

4th gear was even more pronounced, with about 8hp worth of airflow across the board.

We wanted to ensure that the performance of the ram inlet is verified by looking at other parameters. Looking at TIP, we saw a bump in air pressure across the board.

3rd gear TIP

4th gear TIP

Boost had increased in every gear, since this is a COBB OTS map, this was expected.

On a personal note, I wanted to share how satisfied I am with my prediction on what wastegate dutycycle would do after the install of a BIG MOUTH.

Having the added inlet pressure allowed the turbo to spin slower and run much more efficiently, this is evident by the reduction of WGDC across the board.

Here is the data on WGDC vs Engine speed in 3rd and 4th gear.

This is telling you that you can turn up the wick a little more in 3rd and 4th gear, tell your wives, tell your kids, tell your tuner...

Here is a plot of a 3rd gear shift into 4th gear of airflow vs time. Airflow is increased, everywhere.

See less See more
#3 ·
So glad you posted this. Been wanting one of these but until now had no real faith that it was physically doing anything. My reasoning was that, as long as there is no restriction in the intake, the turbo is the thing producing the pressure, so I chalked these intake snorkels up as pretty much irrelevant in a forced induction application. Glad I now have a reason to get one :)

A few quick questions to make sure I understand this correctly:

1) This is with the "big mouth" - not "bigger mouth" intake snorkel correct?
2) Was this on an otherwise stock intake? Was the lid on or off? If you were running an aftermarket/green filter, was the end-cap on or off?

#13 ·
Since you have introduced your snorkel with more information on the validity of your product will you provide another group buy? I have the MBRP catted downpipe, MBRP catback exhaust, and FSWerks stage 3 tune in hand and will order the CP-E lightweight FMIC this month for a spring install, would be nice to include your snorkel during the install. Thanks for the information.

#15 ·
Ive had my eye on this........can the unit be installed just by removing the radiator shroud and cutting that plastic piece with a box cutter knife?

#24 ·
Dan sponsored me one. I'm switching to a gtx3071r on monday and will be hitting the dyno with the bigger mouth. It comes in the mail tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.