Ford Focus ST Forum banner

My custom intake pipe

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  XRJoe 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've had a Cobb filter now for quite some time now. After looking at various intake options, decided to make my own based on the mountune intake.

Materials required:
3" 45 degree bent aluminium pipe
80mm - 76mm silicone coupler (a regular 3in coupler should also work, but might b tighter squeeze)
2 3inch diameter hose clamp

Optional:
a 3in diameter pipe bracket of some sort

so basically use the aluminium piping to replace the factory elbow, I haven't tried the other piece of the pipe yet due to the need to mess with the PCV hose behind.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory. Sorry about the very dirty engine bay, Beijing is pretty dusty and I don't have a indoor garage. I installed these little rubber bolt extenders? to better secure the pipe via the pipe bracket and also give some clearance from the engine cover after a couple of days. Just make sure the pipe isn't contacting anything after the install (note the gas line behind and there is also a plastic electrical plug underneath the intake pipe). The pipe can be squeezed into the corrugated intake pipe at the other end, which also helps making the pipe fit as it is quite flexible. I initially wanted to replace it with a 45 degree silicone coupler but just couldn't wrestle everything together as the angle is slightly off.

Not sure how much it helps in terms of intake performance, it sure as hell is shiny in the engine bay and makes good noise ha :haha:

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line
Vehicle door Hand Bumper Automotive exterior Finger
Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car
Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Wheel Engine
Light Headlamp Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive exhaust Pipe

Next up, gonna mess around with some intercooler pipes I measured and had fabricated this weekend.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.