Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Review: FSWERKS 3" exhaust (pics & vids)

Premium Member
    is blacktacular!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Review: FSWERKS 3" exhaust (pics & vids)

So, I'm kind of new here, but I figured I'd post my review for the FSWERKS exhaust:

The FSWERKS exhaust is a 3" stainless steal exhaust for our STs. It comes with all the necessary parts to install, minus the 3" downpipe that you should already have ;D. It comes with dual tips with the "FSWERKS" logo/text etched on the top. Also includes a Magnaflow muffler. All parts are clamped together; no welding necessary.

Name:  IMAG0157.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  86.3 KBName:  IMAG0158.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  79.8 KBName:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  100.7 KB

So, I decided I would do all the installation work myself. I don't have access to a lift so I made use of my ramps to get my car high enough to be able to crawl under it. This provided JUST enough room. It would have been a little easier if the car was lifted about 1 more inch. I had my ramps setup on the rear wheels. I had to use a jack to lift up the front driver side a couple of inches. I did not lift it up enough for the tire to come off the ground and I used a jackstand for extra safety. All this was necessary to get enough room to get it attached to the downpipe.

Name:  IMAG0156.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  133.8 KB

To get the stock exhaust out, I had to make a cut (pic above) right before the piping turns up to make its way through the suspension. Getting the stock piping removed was a bit difficult as my car was still too close to the ground. I eventually got it all out without having to raise the car up more.

While installing I ran into the same problem, I just didn't have enough room. Had to bend some of the heat shielding around to get all the pieces of the pipe situated where they needed to be.

When I finally got everything situated, all of the exhaust hangers attached, clamps snug, and tip positioned correctly, I began the final tightening of the clamps. I was using a smaller 12" long torque wrench to tighten the clamps. I seemed to not be able to get the clamps tightened enough. The 3rd pipe kept rotating within the 2nd pipe causing the end of the exhaust (tips) to hang low. I went to my local autoparts store to borrow a longer torque wrench so I could get more torque on them. I ended up overtorquing the clamp and sheering the bolt in half.

Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  212.0 KB

I take blame for this one, as when it sheered I had it at 110ft/lbs. So, I decided to take the clamp off of the tips and use it on the section of piping that I broke the clamp on. I started torquing it down again, and it sheered the bolt in half at 70ft/lbs! I think I uttered every explicit word I know of . I went to the local autoparts store to see if they had any clamps I could buy. They had the standard "U bolt" style clamps, and a really wide band clamp. The band clamp was the same setup as the FSWERKS clamps, it was just wider and utilized two bigger bolts instead of one. The spacer shown in the picture below I ended up cutting in half so that I could re-use the old clamp with the new bolt and spacers. I put it back on, and got it torqued down enough that it did not move any more. I used a U-bolt clamp to fasten the tips to the rest of the exhaust.

Name:  IMAG0169.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  40.7 KB

All in all, I'm very pleased with the exhaust. I really wish I would've had better luck with the clamps but I love fixing things, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Oh yeah, I would not recommend this exhaust if you're wanting something quiet or without drone.

Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  196.2 KB

And now for the best part. The video:

Please "Like" my post if any of this was helpful or if you enjoyed the video. Also, if you have any questions about the installation feel free to ask!

Have fun and drive safe,
    -Ocysp

is Conductor of the Poop Train!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Damn seems like a nice sounding Exhaust. So how bad is the drone. Some times seemed bad other times in vid seemed to be just camera Vibration.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review!

Are you currently running an aftermarket DP? Catless?

Also what wheels do you have?
    13 IS ST1- FSWerks tune, eFocus RMM, Milltek catback, Milltek catless DP, Eibach springs, FSWerks intake, Garageline 15mm

08 Mustang Bullitt 520/452 @ the wheels

I spend too much of my life on FST! chip's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats seems really loud

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review: FSWERKS 3" exhaust (pics & vids)

Too much volume for me but thanks for the vid. I'm hoping to see a lot more of these for all the different exhaust options out there. Personally waitin for the Cobb to come out and leaning toward the cp-e while I wait. Ocysp, unless you're the sherriff's son you need to get yourself a good radar detector.
    Last edited by swampass2; 01-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.

is Ready to go...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds awesome!

I spend too much of my life on FST! HaveBlue83's Avatar
    is Drives a Blue waffle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :O

that car, those mudflaps, that sound.

i am going to have to wait until Focus Rising to hear all of these exhausts. every one sounds pretty good.........this one sounds EDM as hell. dammit. at least I have a lil bit of noise with a chopped muffler to get me by for now....
    PB '13 ST2 | JBR Catch Can | Torrie's SCT tune | Buscher Filter | Muffler Delete | yeller fogs | E-Focus Rear Mount (what it should have came with) | Steeda Rear Swaybar SOLD for a Fiesta ST, 6/13/14

bye guys! I got FiSTed!

is KCCO

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also curious about if you have an aftermarket downpipe or not
    2013 Focus ST Race Red ST2

Premium Member
    is blacktacular!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sins View Post
    Damn seems like a nice sounding Exhaust. So how bad is the drone. Some times seemed bad other times in vid seemed to be just camera Vibration.
    At around 50-55mph it's not too bad. You can hear a little bit but I think for most people it would probably be bearable. When I'm on the interstate at around 70-75mph it's pretty bad. It doesn't bother me because I like loud things, and usually my music is turned up louder than the exhaust ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
    Are you currently running an aftermarket DP? Catless?
    A catless CP-E downpipe. Sorry, I was actually meaning to add that to the post but I forgot to. Will eventually add it to my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
    Also what wheels do you have?
    Sparco Assetto Garas.

Quote Originally Posted by swampass2
    Ocysp, unless you're the sherriff's son you need to get yourself a good radar detector.
    LOL! I'm definitely not the sheriff's son. That's actually quite funny if you knew my stance on politics ;D. A radar detector is on my to-buy list. Sadly it's kind of situated at the bottom for now, unless I can pull some more overtime at work to be able to fund all the performance mods I want plus the radar detector.

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    thats seems really loud
    Yes, it is. I was playing around in a parking garage in first gear last weekend, and my buddy Robs13st was behind me. He said he had to roll his windows up because it was so damn loud lol. Sadly I forgot to get some video of it. I had my GoPro with me and everything!

Have fun and drive safe,
    -Ocysp

I spend too much of my life on FST! TClark22's Avatar
    is someone buy my F1s please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the directions tell you to torque the clamps? Those clamps aren't meant for more than hand tightening with a standard ratchet. Out of all the exhausts I have installed, never torqued clamps. And I have even snapped them hand tightening with 1/2" ratchet.
    2013 Focus ST - Race Red ST3
    2004 Mustang GT - Silver Metallic - Procharged - 407rwhp 404rwtq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links