Engine Block Heater Replacement
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Engine Block Heater Replacement

  1. #1
    FST Member AddedDistraction's Avatar
    is it worth doing? Then overdo
    it.
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wississippi
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Engine Block Heater Replacement

    I bought a Kat's block heater for the Focus. I started looking at the engine to see where it's mounted. Lo and behold there already is one in the block. YAY No cord was attached to it. But the cord that came with the Kat's heater fit it. However, it appears the heater element in the engine doesn't work. I get no heat after plugging it in, and a continuity test shows an open circuit. So now I either remove the one in the block completely and replace it with the Kat's. Or replace the element of the one in the block which appears to be held in place in the fitting with a snap ring and O ring seal. Any opinions on which would be best?
    Tom

    2013 PB Focus ST2: Pretty RGB interior lights
    2002 LR Mustang V6: Blown/Modded (too much to admit)
    1997 Pontiac Sunfire: >328,000 miles (sold and missed)
    1994 Pontiac Transport: Portable RC planes hanger

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is destroying both fronts,
    sliding everywhere, pouring
    smoke, thanks Mfactory!
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AddedDistraction View Post
    I bought a Kat's block heater for the Focus. I started looking at the engine to see where it's mounted. Lo and behold there already is one in the block. YAY No cord was attached to it. But the cord that came with the Kat's heater fit it. However, it appears the heater element in the engine doesn't work. I get no heat after plugging it in, and a continuity test shows an open circuit. So now I either remove the one in the block completely and replace it with the Kat's. Or replace the element of the one in the block which appears to be held in place in the fitting with a snap ring and O ring seal. Any opinions on which would be best?
    Ok, i have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

    A block heater for the 2.0 turbo gasoline motor?

    Help me, help you.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-duecette.html

    In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

    Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

  3. #3
    Supporting Member UnfocusedST's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    9,804
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Ok, i have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

    A block heater for the 2.0 turbo gasoline motor?

    Help me, help you.
    Yeah most cold state cars have them. It heats the coolant to help warm the engine during winter. My car has one.

    Sent from another garage.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Supporting Member Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is destroying both fronts,
    sliding everywhere, pouring
    smoke, thanks Mfactory!
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfocusedST View Post
    Yeah most cold state cars have them. It heats the coolant to help warm the engine during winter. My car has one.

    Sent from another garage.
    WTF, this **** beguiles me.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-duecette.html

    In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

    Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

  6. #5
    Supporting Member UnfocusedST's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    9,804
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    WTF, this **** beguiles me.
    Okay.

    Sent from another garage.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is destroying both fronts,
    sliding everywhere, pouring
    smoke, thanks Mfactory!
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfocusedST View Post
    Okay.

    Sent from another garage.
    I expected this kind of operation from Canada, not the ConUS
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-duecette.html

    In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

    Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

  8. #7
    Supporting Member UnfocusedST's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    9,804
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    I expected this kind of operation from Canada, not the ConUS
    Pretty much if it snows in your state you should have one from the factory.

    Sent from another garage.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member Duece McCracken's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is destroying both fronts,
    sliding everywhere, pouring
    smoke, thanks Mfactory!
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Langhorne, PA
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnfocusedST View Post
    Pretty much if it snows in your state you should have one from the factory.

    Sent from another garage.
    I get snow, I'm on blizzaks right now. I live in Pennsylvania not Louisiana, Never heard of a gas ST with a block heater, thought this was a Diesel ST problem, lol.
    Owner and lead tech of Duece's Wrenchworx. The one stop shade tree ST shop.

    Build thread - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...-duecette.html

    In PA/NJ? Looking for meets? Check this out.http://www.focusst.org/forum/groups/...a-st-club.html

    Like brewpubs and the like? Are you in/near PA? check this- http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...tate-area.html

  10. #9
    FST Member AddedDistraction's Avatar
    is it worth doing? Then overdo
    it.
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Wississippi
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    Ok, i have no ****ing clue what you are talking about.

    A block heater for the 2.0 turbo gasoline motor?

    Help me, help you.
    Yes, an engine block coolant heater. On my engine it's located on the driver's side, in the front under the intake manifold. In Wisco. we see outside winter temps in the -20F. Currently I'm using a contact heater on the oil pan. When it's 20F or less, that gets plugged in.
    Tom

    2013 PB Focus ST2: Pretty RGB interior lights
    2002 LR Mustang V6: Blown/Modded (too much to admit)
    1997 Pontiac Sunfire: >328,000 miles (sold and missed)
    1994 Pontiac Transport: Portable RC planes hanger

  11. #10
    Supporting Member UnfocusedST's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is training to beat Goku, or at
    least Krillin.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    9,804
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece McCracken View Post
    I get snow, I'm on blizzaks right now. I live in Pennsylvania not Louisiana, Never heard of a gas ST with a block heater, thought this was a Diesel ST problem, lol.
    Gas engines have had heaters since probably before I was born.

    Sent from another garage.

 

 
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Block Heater Harness Write Up
    By Corradokev in forum Focus ST Electronics
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-28-2016, 04:34 PM
  2. Engine block heater - can it be retro fitted?
    By kablammo in forum Focus ST Accessories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 11:03 AM
  3. Engine Block Heater - How Common?
    By WizzBang in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
  4. Kat's 11409 block heater
    By Roger in forum Focus ST Maintenance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
  5. Engine block heater ?
    By HiveMind in forum Focus ST Maintenance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Find us on Google+