Door Latch Recall - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Door Latch Recall

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elyk864 View Post
    When I brought it down the recall had not officially released yet. Or else I would have had them do all four. I called my dealer today and left a message this morning and he has not returned my call yet in normal stealership fashion so when I finally get a call back I'll update once again.
    Your interim repair doesn't close out the recall. You don't want them to replace all the latches yet until they actually have the corrected part in hand for all four doors if that's what the recall entails.

If the parts aren't available now then they will end up having to do it over again anyway. Everything I've seen so far says it won't be available until sometime next year.

Unless the other latches break before then I'd say wait for the new parts before having it fixed.
    elyk864 likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! tpiechow's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All vehicle manufactures are required by federal law to release a letter to any owners of a vehicle with a potential safety risk. The letter is just to inform the owner that a recall is intended, what the issue is, what the causal component is as well as the repair direction.

But as you guys have seen, they don't officially release the FSA until parts are available to cover every single available vehicle. Once the parts are available, then they release the recall and send parts to the dealers. The amount of parts that are sent to the dealer depends on the amount of affected vehicles are registered in the area.

HOWEVER, if the dealer is to replace a single door or two doors, the part being installed will be the new part number. They will not install a faulty component again. So anyone who has had any or all doors replaced already, the parts are good.

Also note that if the recall is safety related, it does not matter if the vehicle is under warranty in any way shape or form. If it's safety related, it doesn't matter if the vehicle is 10 years old or had a million miles, it should be covered.

At the bottom of the OP, it states that if there is an affected vehicle that is outside the scope of the recall it will be covered. So it does not matter if the FSA is associated with your VIN, if it breaks then its free.
    elyk864 likes this.
    2016 Focus ST (ST3) - Shadow Black

-Cobb AccessPort V3 (Stage 2, 93 Octane)
    -Roush 3" High Flow Cat Back Exhaust (Tips painted black)
    -CP-E Light Weight FMIC
    -Green Air Filter (Open Air Box)
    -Cobb Short Throw Shift Plate (40%)
    -FRPP 2 Stage Colder Spark Plugs
    -Turbosmart 50/50 Re-circulation Valve
    -H&R Lowering Springs (1.4F/1.3R)
    -Steeda Sound Symposer Delete
    -MBRP Catless Downpipe

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpiechow View Post
    All vehicle manufactures are required by federal law to release a letter to any owners of a vehicle with a potential safety risk. The letter is just to inform the owner that a recall is intended, what the issue is, what the causal component is as well as the repair direction.

But as you guys have seen, they don't officially release the FSA until parts are available to cover every single available vehicle. Once the parts are available, then they release the recall and send parts to the dealers. The amount of parts that are sent to the dealer depends on the amount of affected vehicles are registered in the area.

HOWEVER, if the dealer is to replace a single door or two doors, the part being installed will be the new part number. They will not install a faulty component again. So anyone who has had any or all doors replaced already, the parts are good.

Also note that if the recall is safety related, it does not matter if the vehicle is under warranty in any way shape or form. If it's safety related, it doesn't matter if the vehicle is 10 years old or had a million miles, it should be covered.

At the bottom of the OP, it states that if there is an affected vehicle that is outside the scope of the recall it will be covered. So it does not matter if the FSA is associated with your VIN, if it breaks then its free.
    It's since been expanded to cover 100% of the potential effected population as opposed to before.
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...h-america.html

FORD EXPANDS DOOR LATCH SAFETY RECALL IN NORTH AMERICA
    DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 8, 2016 – Ford Motor Company is expanding a previously announced safety recall regarding door latches to include approximately 1,500,000 additional vehicles at the request of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, bringing the total to 2,383,292 vehicles. Affected vehicles include 2013-15 Ford C-MAX and Ford Escape, 2012-15 Ford Focus, 2015 Ford Mustang and Lincoln MKC and 2014-16 Ford Transit Connect.

In the affected vehicles, the pawl spring tab in the side door latch could break. A door latch with a fractured pawl spring tab typically results in a “door-will-not-close” condition. A door that opens while driving increases the risk of injury.

Ford has identified one reported accident and three reported injuries that may be related to this issue.
    There are 2,383,292 vehicles affected in this recall, including 2,046,297 in the United States and federalized territories, 233,034 in Canada and 61,363 in Mexico.

Dealers will replace side door latches at no cost to the customer.

Customers who want to know if their vehicle is included in this recall can visit Ford ? New Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles, click on safety recalls at the bottom of the page and enter their vehicle identification number.
    I'm sure that where possible they will use the new components to repair cars as they break before they have all of the parts to complete the recall, but I wouldn't guarantee that they will always be able to get the newest service part for an emergency repair.

Pushing to have the non broken latches replaced before the new service parts are available though is unlikely to be successful though.

Sometimes I wonder why the manufacturers inform customers about issues before they have the parts on hand to repair these concerns though as it can cause confusion and chaos.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone know what's involved in doing the recall? door panels have to come off?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lief View Post
    anyone know what's involved in doing the recall? door panels have to come off?
    Looking at the service manual the procedure for removing the latches does require removing more than just the door panels, however until more information is posted about the recall repair it's uncertain if they could come up with a better way.

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that haven't seen this yet, stay tuned for more updates as they come out.
    Name:  recall.PNG
Views: 293
Size:  81.0 KB
    UnfocusedST likes this.
    Stratified Custom Tune (91 and E30) CPE Lightweight FMIC VelossaTech Intake Snorkel
    FSwerks Shift Bracket+Busings (40%) Wilwood FNSL6 14" NGK LTR7IX-11
    Green Filter Steeda RMM, TTR Upper Passenger Gloss black wrapped roof
    TSW Rivage 18X8 5-108 +40mm Husky Liner Floor mats (All) Global windows mod
    Fogs on with High Beam mod (Diode Dynamics XML2 Fogs) Limo tint rear, Front legal Proclip Pillar mount
    Led Interior lights Breedt APM

I spend too much of my life on FST! dieselxx's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my letter here in Canada. It doesn't state it's a recall though. It says if your car exhibits the symptoms than bring it in for free replacement. It doesn't say anything about being a mandatory recall. Wth Ford Canada.

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's odd. We will just have to wait and see when the part become available. They might end up just replacing them after that.
    Stratified Custom Tune (91 and E30) CPE Lightweight FMIC VelossaTech Intake Snorkel
    Fogs on with High Beam mod (Diode Dynamics XML2 Fogs) Limo tint rear, Front legal Proclip Pillar mount

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my recall notice in the mail a few weeks ago. Anyone have anything on part availability? Horror stories? Damaged door panels? Would it best if I remove my door panels prior so they don't get molested?

Premium Member
    is here

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    Received my recall notice in the mail a few weeks ago. Anyone have anything on part availability? Horror stories? Damaged door panels? Would it best if I remove my door panels prior so they don't get molested?
    No new info so far, I am the OP on this thread and I had one replaced so far because mine failed (before the recall). No issues will door the door panel.
    Plinky likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links