Ford Focus ST Forum banner

I think my sound symposer might be acting up...(Beeping?)

109K views 409 replies 163 participants last post by  Switch0r 
#1 ·
Sound Symposer

Just noticed this a little while ago but honestly haven't really hear it all week. The sound symposer is very faint, can barely hear it under load. Anyone have this problem?

#3 ·
Thanks Joe, read the first few pages of that. No green filter totally stock. Ambient is around 19 F right now. I don't know if the ECU and cold temps go together with delayed valve opening or non at all on the symposer. I'm all about the sound, our interior is very quiet and I love the low frequency growl from the tube.

#5 ·
race_red really???? COME ON MAN...... STinger might be the cold or check under hood just left of battery ( looking at it) you will see a flex hose make sure it is connected..... :wink:

#6 ·
Hey I came from a loud truck and a loud Miata. Silence was indeed golden.

HOWEVER...... Since posting in this thread I have hooked it back up. Its still freaking loud. But now it matches with noise coming from the rear after getting the exhaust done. And with the intake the turbo can still be heard.

#11 ·
How do you turn it on, and off?

#13 ·
I've had my ST1 for a little over a week now, and I noticed that the engine was unusually quiet. I had a sound symposer tube in my '12 mustang, so I am familiar with what it's supposed to sound like. The mustang sound tube wasn't actuated by a valve, it was just a simple mechanical thing, but it worked. The ST has always been dead silent since I picked it up

After driving my buddy's ST, i noticed his ST had much more growl under load, so i thought hmm, maybe my sound symposer isn't working correctly. I just ignored it and kept driving.

Then, I was driving around tonight, and i notice that the symposer was actually opening under load today, and I could totally tell the difference, it sounded great! After a couple miles, I noticed my intake noise was much louder, all the time, not just under load. I came to a stop light and i could hear the engine loping inside the cabin, and I know it was sound symposer. At first I thought maybe my Green filter came loose or something, causing the extra intake resonance, but no...I popped the hood when I got home and the filter was fine.

I started the car again, and the inside of the cabin was filled with intake sound, even at idle. It's pretty loud. I shut the car off and noticed a beeping noise, like an electronic fault error beep on a motherboard. It beeped four or five times, then i heard a mechanical click, it sounded like a plastic door shutting. I'm assuming after I shut the car off, it went beep, beep, beep, beep, and then shut the symposer valve.

Because I'm 99% sure this is the symposer acting goofy, i'm not afraid of anything being damaged or anything, it's just kinda weird.

Any thoughts???

#89 ·
I've been having this same issue, called the dealer they had no clue about any engine beeps. I ended up bringing it in and pointed out the beep doesn't go away even after you shut the car off until you walk about 15 feet away. They called me back today and said it was a faulty valve for the sound symposer. Already having trouble with that valve doesn't inspire confidence for a first time new car owner. When I get the car back (with the new valve) I'm going to disconnect it completely so it doesn't try to open and close. probably disconnect it in the open position if that's possible.

#16 · (Edited)
Hmm. I mean I don't mind the symposer either way...I just dont want the interior noise when it's not under load. I don't need my car sounding like I'm hitting VTEC in the cabin while i'm at a stop light. Hell, at the point I'd almost rather just disable the symposer all together instead of dealing with the noise.

Mr Right- Other people have had this exact issue with a Green filter? I guess I'm just surprised because I don't see what difference it would make. That, and I noticed my symposer was not opening even before I put the Green filter on....now it sounds like it's just staying in the open position all the time. It's weird. I wonder if there is a quick and easy way to just disable it if it's not working properly. I suppose I could swing by the dealer and have somebody look at it. Could have just gotten a faulty symposer valve.

#17 ·
Mr Right- Other people have had this exact issue with a Green filter? I guess I'm just surprised because I don't see what difference it would make. That, and I noticed my symposer was not opening even before I put the Green filter on....now it sounds like it's just staying in the open position all the time. It's weird. I wonder if there is a quick and easy way to just disable it if it's not working properly. I suppose I could swing by the dealer and have somebody look at it. Could have just gotten a faulty symposer valve.

I dont know really, I have never researched it. I just remember this thread which i did not fully read (since I dont have a green filter)

Green Filter & Your Sound Symposer

#18 ·
Thanks for the link! I never would have seen it because i'm not on STNation.

I read the whole thread, and a lot of people talk about intermittent performance with the sound symposer. It also does not seem to be exclusive to people with Green filters, or open ended filters. Today was literally the first time I ever heard my symposer open since I picked it up 8 days ago. I had the car for 4-5 days with stock filter before I put the Green on...and still never had symposer sound. It seems that the symposer is very sensitive to cold and moisture. It's been below 30* here pretty much since I picked it up, and today was the first day over 40* in my area in quite a while....so maybe the warm-up cause the symposer to start working. There was also one other STNation member with the stock filter that mentioned his symposer got stuck OPEN for a while and it eventually closed while driving. Sounds like exactly what happened to me today. I'm not terribly worried about it, I just couldn't stand the interior noise at every RPM with the symposer being stuck open. If worst comes to worst, I'll try to find where it is and unplug it until it gets warmer outside.

#19 ·
Yep. Unplugged the symposer tube from the firewall and the interior noise went away. my symposer valve is definitely stuck in "open" position for now. Lame.

#20 ·
Sound Symposer

I don't think the sound symposer is working in my ST. I'm not hearing the note in my cabin that I hear on all the ST videos. I looked under the hood and as far as I can tell the wiring harness is connected and the hose is secure. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

#25 ·
i found that the connector for the wiring is bad. it wouldnt lock when i push it on and would shake loose. this isnt the only connector iv noticed that is like this. my mass air flow will not lock in place either. i can just pull it off. try unplugging and plugging back in, and use a little more force to get back together. then start up car and give a rev see if it works. hopefully thats all it is. also evertime i have unplugged it and plugged in it has mad an audiable tone.

#27 ·
Haha I hear ya.

This is the most civilised, softest sprung, quietest car I have ever owned!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.