rhythmic vibration at certain speeds on new wheels and tires?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rhythmic vibration at certain speeds on new wheels and tires?

So, I swapped out my summer tires for winter ones over Thanksgiving and since then I feel like the ride of my car has changed. Sometimes at around 55 or 60mph crusing on the highway I can kind of feel a rhythmic vibration underneath me. The weird thing is that I don't feel that at all in my steering wheel. My steering wheel doesn't wobble and stays perfectly calm. I only feel the vibration underneath my butt and my legs. I can't tell if it's just the road causing the car to kind of bump up and down (only at certain speeds though?), or if it has something to do with the new wheels or tires. I bought used stock wheels from another forum member and put a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin Pa3s on them. Should I get them checked out or am I just being paranoid? Sometimes I think I'm just being over-sensitive to it. Ideas anyone? Thanks!

is Happy with the Boomba Short
    Shift Kit

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be the tread of the Michelin's, or it could need balancing. I'd check the latter.

2013 Focus ST Performance Blue

Premium Member
    is "Moderating" all the
    beers ;)

Mentioned
    567 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Were they ever balanced?
    Engine Cobb APV3- 93 Stratified Tuned CP-E Stage 2 RMM Damond Motorsports PSM Steeda Intake Box with filter/Gen 1 Depo "Son of Beast" 3.5" FMIC MBRP Pro Series Catback Exhaust MBRP 3" Catless Downpipe Forge BOV
    Shift Boosted Designs Trans/Shift Bushings Breedt Shift Arm Anarchy Motive Shift Knob Ford Racing Short Shifter
    Visual Velossa Tech Wing Risers DMB Green Emblems Shift boot re-stitched Green Steering wheel enameled green Engine Covers and Calipers Panted Green Green Fog Light Bulbs Smoked LED Tail Lights Boosted Designs Mud Flaps Visual Garage Shark Fin
    Suspension Proline 901 18x8 ET40 Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires Hawk Sector 27 rotors Hawk HPS pads

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My winter set is noisier and and not as smooth as the summers.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow 24x5x8 Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushing, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

I spend too much of my life on FST! viper91681's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would check the balance of the tires, if it's one of the rear tires that is out of balance you wouldn't really feel it in the steering wheel.
    2013 TB ST3 || Cobb AP V3, 91 Octane Tune by Stratified || Tint, 20% Front / 13% Rear || Cobb Short Shift Plate @ 40% || Mountune High Flow Air Filter || MBRP Catback || Steeda FMIC ||

I spend too much of my life on FST! billytires42's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the balance. That's easy.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the tires balanced when they were first mounted, then balanced a second time when I thought something was wrong. I just came back from driving around the highway to see if I found any pattern and it doesn't seem to be super consistent. It's just kind of...bouncy but It's so subtle I think I'm imagining it half the time. It think it might just be the winter tires being a little less smooth than the stock F1s. If there were a wheel issue I'm going to guess any vibrations would be much more pronounced. I might just need to get out of my own head...

is Owner of Brads Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Brads
    detailedtouch1

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Move the tires front to back and see if it changes anything. My guess is tire balance or tread separation. Could also be a bent wheel.

I spend too much of my life on FST! STWFO's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inpajamas View Post
    I had the tires balanced when they were first mounted, then balanced a second time when I thought something was wrong. I just came back from driving around the highway to see if I found any pattern and it doesn't seem to be super consistent. It's just kind of...bouncy but It's so subtle I think I'm imagining it half the time. It think it might just be the winter tires being a little less smooth than the stock F1s. If there were a wheel issue I'm going to guess any vibrations would be much more pronounced. I might just need to get out of my own head...
    Two things:

One, see how many weights are on your rims. Sometimes the tire guys will "chase weight" and add a lot of weights in lieu of spending the necessary time to balance them correctly. If you have a bunch of weights, take it back and tell them to do it right.

Two, it depends on what kind of tires you have. Some all seasons have a tendancy to flat spot pretty quickly. I have the cont extr contact, and when it's really cold they'll flat spot over night. This is worked out once they get a few miles on them and warm up. This might explain the inconsistency. If it only happens when you're first driving it but then goes away, this is probably your issue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by STWFO; 01-16-2014 at 04:53 AM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STWFO View Post
    Two things:

One, see how many weights are on your rims. Sometimes the tire guys will "chase weight" and add a lot of weights in lieu of spending the necessary time to balance them correctly. If you have a bunch of weights, take it back and tell them to do it right.

Two, it depends on what kind of tires you have. Some all seasons have a tendancy to flat spot pretty quickly. I have the cont extr contact, and when it's really cold they'll flat spot over night. This is worked out once they get a few miles on them and warm up. This might explain the inconsistency. If it only happens when you're first driving it but then goes away, this is probably your issue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    How many weights would you consider "a lot?" Each wheel has like 4 or 5 weights on it which I feel like is pretty normal. I might try moving the tires around from front to back and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links