Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Adding Homelink?

36K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  Muddy4DSM 
#1 ·
So a few years ago I owned an Infiniti FX35 that had one of those auto-dimming rear view mirrors with the built in Homelink buttons. Homelink, for my purposes, was used to open and close my garage door(s) - though you can apparently also use it to turn on lights in the house - I didn't look into that because I can turn them on myself :)

So I've spent a lot of time yesterday looking into the possibility of adding Homelink in some fashion to my car. There are a ton of the mirrors available, they're mostly made by the same company for different auto applications, and Ford sells new ones (for quite a markup) on their OEM parts sites. The concerning factor is it states that it's not for use in MyFordTouch/SYNC cars. No reason given, and in probably hour(s) of searching, I found no reason why. I found sites where people retrofitted Homelink mirrors/buttons to their Focus and Fusions, but not sure if they had MFT/SYNC in them.

I also saw that some older Focus had the option of the Homelink buttons on their drivers side visors. I saw one "how to" where I guy swapped his out in his Focus (2010 I think) and it worked fine (he bought an OEM visor with the buttons new from a Ford supplier). Again - not sure if he had MFT/SYNC. I found the ford/Focus OEM visors with the buttons, but couldn't tell what color they were. Nor if they'd fit/install properly in the ST.

Does anyone know anything about WHY Homelink isn't supposed to go in a MFT/SYNC car? I know Ford has some brand of "Universal Garage Door Opener" they put in with their sunroof on the Fusion.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't get what homeline has to do with myford touch/sync...homelink is just a module sending an RF signal out to your garage door.

I could have sworn i read the ST came with them...but maybe i was just hoping or thinking "hey this is a 2013, every car for a few years has had homelink"

I will definitely be adding one if we can! Subscribed

#4 ·
Adding homelink shouldn't be an issue with Sync/myFord Touch. I know Ford offers Homelink on cars with both Sync and myFord touch. As noted you can try and find a visor with Homelink built into it or you can buy a Gentex rear view mirror with Homelink and install that.

I added Homelink to my '09 GT500 by replacing the rear view mirror with a Gentex unit. Easy install, except for removing the original mirror from the windshield - that was not a job for the faint of heart.

Just google for "gentex rear view mirror" to find retailers and prices. I used this tutorial to install mine: Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang. Fusebox locations will be different, but a voltmeter will let you find switched 12vdc lines.

#5 ·
I'm with you Quagmire, it SHOULD be relatively easy. So why does the official Ford OEM part say something like "Not applicable for use on vehicles with Sync/MFT"? Makes me wonder, and apparently no answer available on the web (that I found). Just wondering if the radio transmission in the Gentex units somehow messes with the wireless/radio frequencies in the MFT system. Ford seems to have it's own "Homelink" type system now (built into moonroof on Fusion).

Does anyone have a newer Focus/Ford with both Homelink AND Sync/MFT?

#6 ·
'12+ GT500 has it (Sync only). '13 Fusion has it (Sync + myFord Touch). Others as well, probably.

Google for the frequency ranges for Homelink, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Audio, and Intelligent Access and compare frequencies for incompatibilities. Good luck.

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Not really, you need a specialized tool to do it safely and it's still a b*itch do do.

removing ford rear view mirror - Google Search

When I installed the Gentex mirror on my '09 GT500 I chickened out on removing the original mirror after trying without good result. I was afraid I was going to break the windshield. So I took the car to an automotive glass shop, thinking they were pros and could do it for me. One broken windshield later...

At any rate, I did get the new rear view mirror installed after the new windshield was installed and was very happy with it. I would just urge caution and patience to anyone attempting to remove a Ford rear view mirror.

#11 ·
Yes! They have sun visor buttons also. I read of a guy who put some in his older Focus (2010 i think). You can actually buy the visor with the buttons from a Ford OEM supplier. You'll need to wire it up, but you'd have to wire up the mirror anyway. I believe the sunvisor with the Homelink also has lighted mirror on it (unlike the non-lit ST mirror on the visors of our STs).

I also read a "how to" where a guy took the buttons unit out of some other vehicle (you can find 100s of them on eBay, various styles, for $30+ ) and installed them in the headliner of his Fusion. Looked great. Again, just need to wire it into the 12v supply (1 12v, 1gnd), which can usually be found in the A Pillar.

#14 ·
Well I ordered a Gentex rearview mirror kit off eBay. Kit is new. I should be getting it in early next week. I MIGHT (not will) try to do this, if I can get the factory mirror off - as I understand it can be quite the pain in the butt. I've read how too's where others ahve done it, so it's possible. I'll try to find them and follow their directions. If I go through with the attempt I'll snap some pics and post a guide. So if you're interested, cross your fingers it comes, it's one that will work (fit), and I can get off the factory windshield without breaking the damn thing. lol

#16 ·
Then we should just be able to order the visor and wire it in. Nice.

#17 ·
Actually, not sure what btd was saying, lol. Was he confused by my saying visor?
I saw last gen focus visors with Homelink built in (sun visor on drivers side). Was wondering if your Focus, btd, had Homelink built into the visor or on the rearview mirror?

Hopefully next week I'll have the Homelink mirror that supposedly fits the Ford windshield mount. If I think I can do it without breaking anything - notably the windshield, as I've heard getting the OEM mirror off is a challenge, I'll give it a go. I'm horrible at taking pics, but if I give it a go I'll TRY to remember to snap some pics of the progress. If i take the pics, AND I get the thing installed and working, I'll post the pics along with a likely crappy walk-through how-to.

More than likely I'll yank the new mirror out of the box and say to myself "screw this..."

:big smile:

#20 ·
One item regarding the step by step, removing the existing rear-view mirror.
I heard it'd be a pain in the butt. Turns out it wasn't too bad. Need a flat head screwdriver. You fit it in the slot on the bottom of the windshield mount and slightly but firmly twist it. While you twist, you slowly try to work the mirror off. You need to twist the screwdriver pretty good as what you're doing is getting the OEM mirror over two little "bumps" on the windshield mount that lock it in. Once you get it up over those little bumps (that you can't see of course) it slides right off. The Gentex Homelink mirror I bought slid right on the OEM windshield mount and locks on with an included screw.

#21 ·
Nice. Glad it went well for you.

If it does interfere with MFT it would only be when opening or closing the garage door I would think. Not something I would ever worry about.

#22 ·
Only thing I noticed so far is the Entertainment "button" on the bottom left of the MFT screen is not there immediately after start-up (using the Homelink). At least it no longer says what entertainment option is selected (from the Home screen). If I hit the Home button, it comes back, or I can still click there and open up the Entertainment screen no problem.

I'll keep my eyes open for any other issues.

#23 ·
Just a follow up. Out and about and back home several times. No issues noted. Everything I tried on MFT worked. I didn't (and don't) use too many voice commands - so I can't vouch for that functionality yet. Navigating the system with the touch screen works fine though. Seems like Homelink works perfect in the ST. Sweet!!!

#24 ·
If all that you use it for is opening the garage door, why not just put the garage door opener on your visor? I read up on homelink and I can't find any reason why its more than a garage door opener, especially if you aren't using the lights/security/appliances on option. This isn't meant to be as an attack or offensive, I am curious, maybe I want to upgrade from the garage door opener to homelink myself! Enlighten me please!

#27 ·
Homelink/Auto dimming should come standard in $25K+ cars, imho. It's a <$100 part I'm sure, as I bought a DIY kit for $160. For some reason they don't even offer it in the ST at all (I'm sure so they can add it for 2014 and look like they're making the car better.

Do I use it to light crap in my house? No. But fitting on the garage door opener to the visor (mine at least) is a very tight fit, stretches out the clip, and ends up leaving a permanent indent on my visor. Having the button(s) front and center is sweet. Plus, yes - I do love the auto-dimming mirror! To a degree it helps compensate for the rear window tint also.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not! Neither are Recaro's for 99% of the people who will buy them. Neither are a Nav system (can buy one from $99), moonroof, or floormats. But we buy them because these are our cars and we want them to look and behave the way we want them to.

To each their own! Enjoy it!

#25 ·
Garage door openers slide off visors and are (IMHO) a PITA. Homelink is a little thing that really doesn't matter, but it is nice to have. I'm sure Kragbax is enjoying the auto-dimming mirror as much as he is the Homelink.

Reactions: RPhilMan1
#26 ·
Absolutely agree with this.

I would like to add the Homelink mirror as well.

#34 · (Edited)
I owe a lot to Kragbax for a few PMs that guided me through the process of adding the mirror. I took pictures of my install based on his instructions. The passenger side A-pillar cover has a top clip that will eventually let go and then the next two light blue ones pull out easy. I left the plug in and used a multimeter and a paperclip to verify the circuit. I used the brown wire since it switched on with the ignition. I didn't want to be able to open the garage without the key. The wires will slip under the headliner easy enough. You will need the 8 inch long wire cover to finish the job. Gentex mirror install

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.