Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
FocusST.org is the largest Ford Focus ST Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Adding Homelink?

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Adding Homelink?

So a few years ago I owned an Infiniti FX35 that had one of those auto-dimming rear view mirrors with the built in Homelink buttons. Homelink, for my purposes, was used to open and close my garage door(s) - though you can apparently also use it to turn on lights in the house - I didn't look into that because I can turn them on myself

So I've spent a lot of time yesterday looking into the possibility of adding Homelink in some fashion to my car. There are a ton of the mirrors available, they're mostly made by the same company for different auto applications, and Ford sells new ones (for quite a markup) on their OEM parts sites. The concerning factor is it states that it's not for use in MyFordTouch/SYNC cars. No reason given, and in probably hour(s) of searching, I found no reason why. I found sites where people retrofitted Homelink mirrors/buttons to their Focus and Fusions, but not sure if they had MFT/SYNC in them.

I also saw that some older Focus had the option of the Homelink buttons on their drivers side visors. I saw one "how to" where I guy swapped his out in his Focus (2010 I think) and it worked fine (he bought an OEM visor with the buttons new from a Ford supplier). Again - not sure if he had MFT/SYNC. I found the ford/Focus OEM visors with the buttons, but couldn't tell what color they were. Nor if they'd fit/install properly in the ST.

Does anyone know anything about WHY Homelink isn't supposed to go in a MFT/SYNC car? I know Ford has some brand of "Universal Garage Door Opener" they put in with their sunroof on the Fusion.

I spend too much of my life on FST! geargrinder's Avatar
    is This user has no real status

I love my homelink. I was seriously thinking about taking it out if my car now to put in the st. I hope someone has info on how to make this work with sync. Subscribed for further information.

I spend too much of my life on FST! TClark22's Avatar
    is someone buy my F1s please

I don't get what homeline has to do with myford touch/sync...homelink is just a module sending an RF signal out to your garage door.

I could have sworn i read the ST came with them...but maybe i was just hoping or thinking "hey this is a 2013, every car for a few years has had homelink"

I will definitely be adding one if we can! Subscribed

is happy

Adding homelink shouldn't be an issue with Sync/myFord Touch. I know Ford offers Homelink on cars with both Sync and myFord touch. As noted you can try and find a visor with Homelink built into it or you can buy a Gentex rear view mirror with Homelink and install that.

I added Homelink to my '09 GT500 by replacing the rear view mirror with a Gentex unit. Easy install, except for removing the original mirror from the windshield - that was not a job for the faint of heart.

Just google for "gentex rear view mirror" to find retailers and prices. I used this tutorial to install mine: Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang. Fusebox locations will be different, but a voltmeter will let you find switched 12vdc lines.

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

I'm with you Quagmire, it SHOULD be relatively easy. So why does the official Ford OEM part say something like "Not applicable for use on vehicles with Sync/MFT"? Makes me wonder, and apparently no answer available on the web (that I found). Just wondering if the radio transmission in the Gentex units somehow messes with the wireless/radio frequencies in the MFT system. Ford seems to have it's own "Homelink" type system now (built into moonroof on Fusion).

Does anyone have a newer Focus/Ford with both Homelink AND Sync/MFT?

is happy

'12+ GT500 has it (Sync only). '13 Fusion has it (Sync + myFord Touch). Others as well, probably.

Google for the frequency ranges for Homelink, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Audio, and Intelligent Access and compare frequencies for incompatibilities. Good luck.

is ST + Tune = Mon-ST-er!

This was the aftermarket rear-view mirror I was looking at: Gentex GENK41A Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink : Amazon.com : Automotive

I don't need the temp or the compass in the mirror, just the auto-dimming and homelink features would be nice. Any tips for getting the stock rear view mirror off?

is happy

Not really, you need a specialized tool to do it safely and it's still a b*itch do do.

removing ford rear view mirror - Google Search

When I installed the Gentex mirror on my '09 GT500 I chickened out on removing the original mirror after trying without good result. I was afraid I was going to break the windshield. So I took the car to an automotive glass shop, thinking they were pros and could do it for me. One broken windshield later...

At any rate, I did get the new rear view mirror installed after the new windshield was installed and was very happy with it. I would just urge caution and patience to anyone attempting to remove a Ford rear view mirror.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 09-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.

is ST + Tune = Mon-ST-er!

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm afraid of.. I can probably live with it for now

I spend too much of my life on FST! TClark22's Avatar
    is someone buy my F1s please

i don't want a mirror...any others options?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links