Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Adding Homelink?

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding Homelink?

So a few years ago I owned an Infiniti FX35 that had one of those auto-dimming rear view mirrors with the built in Homelink buttons. Homelink, for my purposes, was used to open and close my garage door(s) - though you can apparently also use it to turn on lights in the house - I didn't look into that because I can turn them on myself

So I've spent a lot of time yesterday looking into the possibility of adding Homelink in some fashion to my car. There are a ton of the mirrors available, they're mostly made by the same company for different auto applications, and Ford sells new ones (for quite a markup) on their OEM parts sites. The concerning factor is it states that it's not for use in MyFordTouch/SYNC cars. No reason given, and in probably hour(s) of searching, I found no reason why. I found sites where people retrofitted Homelink mirrors/buttons to their Focus and Fusions, but not sure if they had MFT/SYNC in them.

I also saw that some older Focus had the option of the Homelink buttons on their drivers side visors. I saw one "how to" where I guy swapped his out in his Focus (2010 I think) and it worked fine (he bought an OEM visor with the buttons new from a Ford supplier). Again - not sure if he had MFT/SYNC. I found the ford/Focus OEM visors with the buttons, but couldn't tell what color they were. Nor if they'd fit/install properly in the ST.

Does anyone know anything about WHY Homelink isn't supposed to go in a MFT/SYNC car? I know Ford has some brand of "Universal Garage Door Opener" they put in with their sunroof on the Fusion.

I spend too much of my life on FST! geargrinder's Avatar
    is This user has no real status

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my homelink. I was seriously thinking about taking it out if my car now to put in the st. I hope someone has info on how to make this work with sync. Subscribed for further information.

I spend too much of my life on FST! TClark22's Avatar
    is someone buy my F1s please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get what homeline has to do with myford touch/sync...homelink is just a module sending an RF signal out to your garage door.

I could have sworn i read the ST came with them...but maybe i was just hoping or thinking "hey this is a 2013, every car for a few years has had homelink"

I will definitely be adding one if we can! Subscribed

is happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding homelink shouldn't be an issue with Sync/myFord Touch. I know Ford offers Homelink on cars with both Sync and myFord touch. As noted you can try and find a visor with Homelink built into it or you can buy a Gentex rear view mirror with Homelink and install that.

I added Homelink to my '09 GT500 by replacing the rear view mirror with a Gentex unit. Easy install, except for removing the original mirror from the windshield - that was not a job for the faint of heart.

Just google for "gentex rear view mirror" to find retailers and prices. I used this tutorial to install mine: Auto-Dimming Mirror for Mustang. Fusebox locations will be different, but a voltmeter will let you find switched 12vdc lines.

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Quagmire, it SHOULD be relatively easy. So why does the official Ford OEM part say something like "Not applicable for use on vehicles with Sync/MFT"? Makes me wonder, and apparently no answer available on the web (that I found). Just wondering if the radio transmission in the Gentex units somehow messes with the wireless/radio frequencies in the MFT system. Ford seems to have it's own "Homelink" type system now (built into moonroof on Fusion).

Does anyone have a newer Focus/Ford with both Homelink AND Sync/MFT?

is happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '12+ GT500 has it (Sync only). '13 Fusion has it (Sync + myFord Touch). Others as well, probably.

Google for the frequency ranges for Homelink, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Audio, and Intelligent Access and compare frequencies for incompatibilities. Good luck.

is ST + Tune = Mon-ST-er!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was the aftermarket rear-view mirror I was looking at: Gentex GENK41A Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink : Amazon.com : Automotive

I don't need the temp or the compass in the mirror, just the auto-dimming and homelink features would be nice. Any tips for getting the stock rear view mirror off?

is happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, you need a specialized tool to do it safely and it's still a b*itch do do.

removing ford rear view mirror - Google Search

When I installed the Gentex mirror on my '09 GT500 I chickened out on removing the original mirror after trying without good result. I was afraid I was going to break the windshield. So I took the car to an automotive glass shop, thinking they were pros and could do it for me. One broken windshield later...

At any rate, I did get the new rear view mirror installed after the new windshield was installed and was very happy with it. I would just urge caution and patience to anyone attempting to remove a Ford rear view mirror.
    Last edited by Quagmire; 09-26-2012 at 11:08 AM.

is ST + Tune = Mon-ST-er!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm afraid of.. I can probably live with it for now

I spend too much of my life on FST! TClark22's Avatar
    is someone buy my F1s please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't want a mirror...any others options?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links