Ford Focus ST Forum banner

The "upgraded" Sony must go!

41K views 111 replies 18 participants last post by  krcfocus 
#1 ·
First here is what I would like to do explained through photos:

I have this...

I want to install this... Pioneer AVH-4700NEX or maybe the 8700NEX, still thinking...
Electronics Multimedia Electronic device Technology Screen

by using this...
Technology Electronic device Multimedia Vehicle

and it should then look sort of like this minus the Sync monitor...
Car Vehicle Automotive design Supercar Family car

I was hoping to just modify my stock facia but I have learned through lots of reading and watching videos that there isn't enough depth behind the stock location of the Sony monitor for the Pioneer. I'm hoping that Ford has used a universal mounting mounts for all of the different head units instead of using different dash configurations. Somebody just recently installed this Pioneer into their ST1 so I know it fits. As for the top mini-monitor or Sync display. Since I don't have one because I have an ST2 I would just block that space and use it as a location for some switches or make it into a pocket to hold my iPhone. This should completely remove Sync and MFT from my car. I done several searches and was unable to find anybody who has done this to see what occurs. I'm thinking this weekend I may remove the Sony system and see what I lose.

So now let's have a discussion. Hit me with your best or worst thoughts on this idea of mine. I'm fully suited up so let me have it!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Damn, well that sucks for me. I was going to pick up the St3 bezel with the sony controls and install a double din nav touch screen like you hoping that I just needed an install kit, but sounds like there is no room in the factory location for aftermarket. WTF. And I can't put the factory NAV in my ST1 because of VIN programming.

Do you by chance know how much depth there is back there?

#4 ·
Not sure about the actual depth. I got my info from the video below. When they remove the monitor it doesn't look all that deep. I'm hoping to actually try this over the weekend to get a better idea. The depth on the Pioneer is 6.5".

I can't contribute anything worthwhile to you, but I can tell you that you will lose the 911 assist and steering wheel controls if you remove the factory amp. I attempted to remove mine when I upgraded my stereo by adding amps and speakers, ended up leaving it in place. If your Pioneer has the BT connection for your phone, and you don't care about the 911 assist, I say go for it and see what happens.
I know I can get steering wheel controls back and this unit has both bluetooth and Apple CarPlay.

#3 ·
I can't contribute anything worthwhile to you, but I can tell you that you will lose the 911 assist and steering wheel controls if you remove the factory amp. I attempted to remove mine when I upgraded my stereo by adding amps and speakers, ended up leaving it in place. If your Pioneer has the BT connection for your phone, and you don't care about the 911 assist, I say go for it and see what happens.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, my plan just keeps falling apart. For some reason I never paid attention, but the ST2/3 doesn't have the small center screen. The larger screen takes that area. so I can't use the st3 bezel anyway like I was thinking.

Although, now that I think about it, if I did an aftermarket head unit like you, removing the small screen is fine because the aftermarket unit will give me everything I need anyway.

Thanks for the vid. I will check it out and good luck with your plans.

#8 ·
I just took mine apart this weekend to see if the car would run without it all (There are rumors that it wouldn't). There is tons of room behind there. Especially if you can mount the stereo so it isn't so inset. Would give you another couple inches. But would require quite a bit of custom work to make it all beautiful.

#9 ·
I just took mine apart this weekend to see if the car would run without it all (There are rumors that it wouldn't). There is tons of room behind there. Especially if you can mount the stereo so it isn't so inset. Would give you another couple inches. But would require quite a bit of custom work to make it all beautiful.
I had read those same rumors. So did the car run and drive minus the obvious stuff with no stereo installed? Have you answered one of the big ST mysteries?

#11 ·
Well I haven't pulled the head unit, but if you need suggestions in making the most out of the SOUND quality, I've had reasonable (being modest) success with that. Granted, mine is an ST1 which makes it easier in some ways, but the same principles of acoustics are in play. My build thread is on here (I linked it to my signature) if it helps.

#12 ·
Lico thanks so much for all the information you have provided! :big smile: I just learned a whole bunch of stuff by reading your post. Your point about the needed bracket was very important info! It looks like I'll be working the whole weekend (can't pass up that overtime) so I wouldn't have able to do what you just did.

#13 ·
subb'd... very interested in throwing the "premium" in the trash where it belongs... Had the car for 6 months now and my "premium" tweeters are blowing. SONY FTL

#15 ·
Still rocking the stock head unit, believe it or not. The stock head unit outputs to my JBL MS-8 processor, then to my Arc amp, and that's it. The stock head unit does OK but clearly if I went with a high end aftermarket piece, it would be better. But the processor has a built-in flattening and phase-correcting process during setup, where it "reads" the output of the head unit and fixes errors in response, so it is truly a polished turd.

If someone ever makes a decent dash kit with proper lighting, OR makes a proper aftermarket head (eBay has some Chinese ones that are getting close), I'll bite.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Just to add, I don't see anywhere you can buy the FD02SR kit except at Scosche directly, so I'm not sure what is known about it. I'm worried it may be vapor-ware. The dash kit is available in other places though.

Its about $100 for each piece + the head unit you want itself.

The Metra products seem extremely confusing, so I may just push forward with the Scosche units, and see how it turns out.

#18 ·
My plan was to use the Scosche, mostly because it looks way cleaner.

As for the wiring, I'm currently sorting that out. I'm scouring the wiring diagrams for the connector pins to use for constant voltage, switched voltage and ground. I'll then compare that with the standard stereo to see if the pins match up. That will tell us if we can use the connector adapters. I have a feeling we can't though. We'll see. I'm still trying to track down a non-MFT bracket to test with and part number.

#19 · (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered the Scosche dash kit, so we'll see how that goes. There's a guy selling them on eBay for $99 free expedited shipping, so I bit on that deal.

That secondary display seems like a waste so I'm wondering if there's a way to "hack" it and get something like gauges in there. If anybody has an idea that could work, please share.

Edit: I also went ahead and ordered the harness kit from Scosche directly. BTW I found a 20% coupon "BOOM" so be sure to use that when you make an order on their site. Shipping was very inexpensive, I think it was under $6 for 2 day USPS.

So there, now I just need to find a head unit I like. :)

Edit:

I went with the Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS, so hopefully it all works out.

#20 ·
I'm definitely curious about the harnesses. I found out that we'll absolutely need them for the install as there is no switched 12v to the MFT systems. It's CANBUS controlled, along with other things like dimming and stuff. Which makes sense. I'm glad you got a good deal as here in Canada, because our dollar is doing so bad and shipping, we basically have to add 40% onto anything advertised right now.

My thought about the secondary screen was to glue on a piece of something smooth, like acrylic, paint it, then use it as an attachment point for a phone holder or tuner holder. Because it's set back so far I'd bet it would work awesome for that.

#23 ·
#26 ·
I'll pass on this one but feel free to go for it.

Actually I'm may be changing directions completely. I'm now also researching this unit. I really like the idea of getting rid of the whole screen in the dash thing.
Electronics Audio equipment Multimedia Technology Audio receiver

Pioneer Stage 4 DEX-P99RS CD receiver/preamp at Crutchfield.com

For now I've got more reading to do.

Reactions: Crandis16
#25 · (Edited)
I was worried about it being too generic and "Chinese" for me. For instance, what if the display easily washed out in sunlight? Lots of cheaper LCDs do. Also, what if it is too tedious and slow? I saw a video of one of these units being hunt-and-pecked with a stylus, but good luck doing that on the road.

I think the Pioneer deck I purchased will be a lot more streamlined for use daily. Price was about the same factoring in the harness and dash kit. But...there is that waste of space of the display...

edit:... I mean it LITERALLY comes from China. Enjoy that wait.

#28 ·
I just received the Scosche dash kit and harness/integration computer.

The dash kit appears to have better paint quality than the factory part! And I realize now how the integration computer works: It takes the steering wheel control abilities of a good head unit and dual-purposes the controls to handle things like clock set, and menu browsing. Brilliant solution compared with the Metra dash which has ugly buttons.

I plan on taking some pics before installation, and during

#34 ·
If I still have radio controls that's all I would need or want. I'm not very impressed with the Sync features anyway so if they go bye, bye than I would consider that a plus.

#36 ·
I played around with the voice commands when I first got the car and found then to be very frustrating. It would usually take several attempts to get what I wanted if they worked at all. Most of the time I just gave up. I very, very rarely will answer my phone in the car because I don't just see any reason important enough for it. If it's that important the person should leave me a message and if they don't I guess it wasn't that important. If I'm expecting a call and have to go out I'll just answer and put it on speaker or pull over. Actually when I'm on a trip or just out for a leisurely drive my phone is off just like when I'm out and about on 2 wheels. I'll check when I stop or get home. :smile:

#37 ·
So I just ordered a new ST2/3 radio bezel to play around with. I've got a couple of DIN sleeves and Alpines sitting out in the garage. Since I would only go DIN or DIN 1/2 with a storage area I believe this would work with the stock bezel. It will also allow me to see what I need to do to make a cover plate for the lower section where the Sony CD section was without tearing into my stock one. I should have it before the weekend. The game is now afoot!

Bumper Automotive exterior Technology Auto part Watch phone

#38 ·
I don't want to weigh down your thread with my finding on this, but if you like I put my build thread link in my signature, if anybody is wanting to follow along. I'm going to try to make some progress on this tonight and tomorrow, after work. Tedious on work days though.

#39 ·
Well, I took tons of pics of the parts and attempted to install, but ran into a major problem with the integration unit.
I explained this in my thread but the short version is, I think the integration computer/unit is DOA. I have power coming to it but nothing, no signs of life coming out. The head unit powers up when I jump the 12v switch to the 12v constant, so if the integration unit were to do its job of giving me 12V switched, I'd be good to go.

#40 ·
Update, it works and it works perfectly. The Pioneer works with the steering wheel controls via the Scosche integration unit. You just have to hook it up correctly. I made a huge error, perhaps due to working on this late at night, perhaps because the instructions are very vague, but what I didn't do was properly connect the display connector to the integration unit. I just connected it to itself, because the connector (a weird looking locking type) fits directly in (because, duh, it integrates with it.)

So kids, my fault. I connected it properly, hooked up the steering wheel control output to my Pioneer's "W/R" input and instantly, things were as they should be.

Reactions: Icedragon
#43 ·
OOOOOH, stage 4 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.