Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Seats - Add Heat?

90K views 140 replies 42 participants last post by  xenium 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone who owns an ST2 like myself is wondering if heated seats can be added. Any info or thoughts?

#5 ·
Thanks all! I wanted the heated seats but didnt need all the other bells and whistles of the ST3. After 5 back surgeries the heated seats are for more than just comfort! I am going to research some options and will let you know how it works out. Wiring is not a problem being I make a living looking at wires everyday. Happy Focusing!

#7 ·
Yeah they are not expensive at all. Each kit costs about 57 bucks with everything you need including the hogring pliers. Looking forward to a post on this Breezeknees. My only worry would be messing up the or not getting the same fit of the recaro's after install. If these were standard seats I wouldn't even blink!

#11 ·
Took out the drivers side Recaro today just to see how it was put together and how easy the heated seat retrofit might be. It looks like it is going to be really easy to slip in the standard 11x19 carbon heat elements that come with the kit I'm looking at. They will slip in from the rear and provide full coverage for the bottom and back cushion. Both cushions are easily accessable from the rear. Here are a few preliminary pics but I will probably due an install thread when I decide to order the kit. My clearmask for the front is the priority at the moment.
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting
Vehicle door Technology Hand Automotive exterior Auto part
Leg Auto part
Hand Auto part
Games Finger Hand Nail Technology

#17 ·
I just got my ST2 and the biggest missing feature from the Titanium I'm replacing is the heated seats. I've been researching it and a local shop will do the install for $600 but this is just *almost* within my DIY capabilities.

This person has done it on a standard 2012 Focus: Heated Seat Install How-To - Focus Fanatics
I found this related to the last gen Focus: Advice on seat wiring needed. - Focus Fanatics
This looks to be a good kit: Carbon Fiber Universal Heated Seat Heater Kit - 5 Position Dial - Ships from USA | eBay but I'm mildly concerned that the price is so much cheaper than HeatedSeatKits.com - The Future is Warm for the same basic thing ($160/seat). So, is HSK overpriced or the ebay kits junk?

So, what I need to do this job correctly is:
1. Confidence in the quality of the kit I purchase.
2. Pinout of the seat connector
3. Way to tap the heated seat power run to the seat as I'd rather use the wiring that's there than run my own
4. Faith in my ability to use a dremel tool to cut into the plastic cladding on my seat.

I may have to find myself a project buddy to help me with this.

#19 ·
Under seat wiring information

I took the time tonight to take apart the seats and track down the heated seat circuit. I've verified that these pins only have power when the ignition is on and when the heated seat fuses are inserted so I have 99% confident that these are the right pins. The configuration is identical for both driver and passenger side.

Electronic component Finger Electronics Technology Hand

The connector on the underside of the seat uses these modular pin housings. The empty spot next to the purple block is the one we need to connect to. I'm trying to track down a part number for a pig tail or wiring harness that I can disassemble. If I traced things correctly, the purple connector is connected to a wiring harness by the part number CM51-14A576

Light Automotive lighting Bumper Wheel Automotive exterior

If I can't track the plug down, the fact that the connector slides out may be designed for a press fit install?

Technology Electronic device Electronics Automotive lighting

If I can connect to this wiring harness, then the hard part of the install is limited to making a hole in the seat trim plastic for the switch.

Can anybody provide assistance on a compatible plug to fit in the wiring block?

#20 ·
I received the heated seat kit from the ebay seller. The kit does not look like the kit pictured on the auction listing. Most notably, the dial feels cheaper than it looks in the auction. Additionally, the instructions are lacking. I have a red wire (power?), black wire (ground) and an unknown yellow wire that comes out of the back of the dial. After some time researching kits, I can find no kits that have this mysterious third wire that I can interpolate instructions from.

I presume this yellow wire must go to power or ground but I have no idea which and worry that guessing will blow up the unit and I'd have to order another one. So far, the ebay seller has not responded to my request for explanation of the yellow wire.

I'll post more photos/progress when I know more.

#23 ·
I did it. I took a few pics but what started as a community minded intention of providing a proper write up turned into a bit of a slog to get it done and get some relaxation time in. I don't really have enough pics to put together a proper tutorial but I'll happily answer questions.

Neglecting the time I spent the other day to trace down the power to the seats (see my post above), the total time was about 6 hours. Four of it was on the first seat figuring things out. I can, at least provide some tips.

1. Start with the passenger seat. It's easier and it will keep you from getting discouraged with the increased complexity of the driver's seat.
2. Recline the seat, flip it sideways and carefully maneuver it out of the car.
3. I trimmed the pad for the seat back to fit only the cloth space.
4. For the seat bottom, I used the entire pad.
5. When mounting the switch I was surprised to find that I've cut butter that was harder than the plastic of the seat trim. I used the dremel to cut a small-ish hole of approximate proportions and used a box cutter to whittle the hole into shape. I still have a nice dremel mark on the outside of the passenger seat from before I discovered this softness...
6. I was going to try to get the connectors from Ford to splice into but managed to get no help from the parts department. Instead, I used wire taps to connect into the seat wiring harness without cutting any wires.
7. The seats use clips and velcro. The clips are embedded in the foam, be careful, you may need to work the clips out easily or you'll separate the clips from the foam or the little rail that goes into the clips from the seat cover. I did a little of both...
8. The up down handle on the driver's side seat has a little clip on the end that holds it on. Very carefully work a small screwdriver under this to release it.

Tools you'll need:
-T30 for removing the recline handle
-very small flat-head for prying out the cover for said recline handle bolt
-Phillips screw driver
-T50 torx for removing seat from car
-9/32 nut driver for removing the seat wiring cable
-Scissors
-Electrical tape
-Your choice of connectors

Good luck!

#111 ·
6. I was going to try to get the connectors from Ford to splice into but managed to get no help from the parts department. Instead, I used wire taps to connect into the seat wiring harness without cutting any wires.
Just looking for some clarification on this... The wires you tapped are on the seat wiring harness? Are the wires you tapped already set up with connectors to switched power from the car harness?

#24 ·
Hi breezeknees been looking at the photos you posted of the connectors under the seat. I want to install heated seats in mine also. But I want to use genuine parts for future resale value of the car. Does your ST have cables and clips located underneath the cup holders. I believe thats where the original switches are meant to be mounted if the car did come with heated seats. I also found a website that sells OEM parts for the focus 2012 Ford Parts - Silver State Ford Parts By the way have you put the install post up yet?? Would love to see it. Thanks mate

#26 ·
Well, just installed one heated seat. Took 2 hours because I was afraid to rip into it and do damage. Had to trim the back like the last guy but bottom fit perfect. Will do the driver side tomorrow but so far so good. Going to drill out 2 holes at the top of the cup holders, one on each side for the switches and should look pretty much factory. I'll get picks up later.

#27 ·
Awesome! I'll be standing by for install pics or videos before I order mine.