Lets see how far this little stock turbo will go
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 14whitest3
  • 1 Post By djfourmoney

Thread: Lets see how far this little stock turbo will go

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets see how far this little stock turbo will go

Its been almost 2 years since my st has seen the track. I will be visiting said track in about 3 weeks for a rental. Back then the car was completely bone stock and not much has changed. I will be adding a bigger fmic, catless dp, occ (for maintenance reasons) and an ap once i decide who to go through to buy one. Since the car doesnt really get driven daily anymore (driven 15 miles in almost 2 months) I will be dedicating it to see how far i can go with the stock turbo and after that a 3076r. If anyone wants to chime in for some pointers and opinions its encouraged. Have a great day everyone. Btw i have no problem slapping some stickers on this bad boy. I will be attending many events next year index racing. Many videos and pictures to follow.
    Kei_Loper likes this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! djfourmoney's Avatar
    is In Search Of.... (RIP Nimoy)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly you don't need an inter-cooler, you can get back to back passes out of it before heat soak and coolant temps over 210 degrees become a factor in engine retarding timing.

I would suggest -

Tune (VP MS109)*
    Slicks (26 x 7.5 x 17)
    DP (Catted or Not, doesn't matter)
    Weight Reduction (Back Half, Racing Seats)*

The ones I asterisk is based the fact you said the car isn't driven much anymore. The expense of race gas is negligible again because you said it's not driven very much. Most people run blended tunes as a cheap way to get higher octane fuel with some minor benefits of the cooling properties of E85.

The other option is to get water/meth injection and get it dialed-in.

There some other suggestions I could make but I'm testing them out myself I don't want to share just yet.

With those changes, you'll run low-mid 12's at round 107-108 mph. That is about as fast as the stock turbo will go, if you're thinking conventionally.
    Kindica09 likes this.
    2016 Race Red ST2 - 13.43*@100.25 (1.79 60 ft), 13.52@101.96* (1.96 ft)
    *PB

Tuned By Torrie + AEM W/I + M&H Slicks, otherwise stock and looking to improve.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
    Firstly you don't need an inter-cooler, you can get back to back passes out of it before heat soak and coolant temps over 210 degrees become a factor in engine retarding timing.

I would suggest -

Tune (VP MS109)*
    Slicks (26 x 7.5 x 17)
    DP (Catted or Not, doesn't matter)
    Weight Reduction (Back Half, Racing Seats)*

The ones I asterisk is based the fact you said the car isn't driven much anymore. The expense of race gas is negligible again because you said it's not driven very much. Most people run blended tunes as a cheap way to get higher octane fuel with some minor benefits of the cooling properties of E85.

The other option is to get water/meth injection and get it dialed-in.

There some other suggestions I could make but I'm testing them out myself I don't want to share just yet.

With those changes, you'll run low-mid 12's at round 107-108 mph. That is about as fast as the stock turbo will go, if you're thinking conventionally.
    You know i was thinking that a bigger fmic wouldnt really benefit this car on the stock turbo. I could be wrong. The other pointers you mentioned ill probably end up with. I dont really have too much time so i wont be doing slicks for this rental. I will in the spring for sure.

I spend too much of my life on FST! djfourmoney's Avatar
    is In Search Of.... (RIP Nimoy)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slicks are a must if your serious about ET and trap speed.

IC upgrade isn't necessary, let the car cool between runs 45 mins to an hour. Take a friend, push it through the staging lanes.

You would see a benefit in constant beating like WOT during circuit running (HPDE's) but drag racing? WOT for about 13 seconds, likely less, not an issue. I don't care if people say inlet temps hit 160 degrees or more, is your timing being curtailed?

If no then you don't need it.

I would suggest what I am doing next which is taking about half a gallon of coolant out of the system and replacing it with distilled water + Royal Purple Ice. The car will pull timing over 205 degrees (that's a guess but i'm close) by 210 degrees I lost 9-10 degrees of timing and 1.5 mph in trap speed.

SiStomper according to his testing he said he dropped temps 10 degrees by doing the above, sans the Purple Ice.

VP MS109 will slow the burn rate, so you can give your initial lead a crank too; log your runs so you get updates to your tune. I am revision #4 and you see the results in my sig.

Again slicks are a must, you will loose time feathering the throttle. I am WOT from the time the last yellow is illuminated.

Last three times to the track 1.77, 1.76, 1.79 60' are my best times. 1 tenth at the start is 3 tenths I have found with this car at the end of the strip.
    Last edited by djfourmoney; 10-06-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    2016 Race Red ST2 - 13.43*@100.25 (1.79 60 ft), 13.52@101.96* (1.96 ft)
    *PB

Tuned By Torrie + AEM W/I + M&H Slicks, otherwise stock and looking to improve.

Sponsored Links