Random Loss of Power Under Acceleration?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AK2112

Thread: Random Loss of Power Under Acceleration?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Random Loss of Power Under Acceleration?

New to the Forum. 2016 Focus ST ST3, currently with about 18,000 miles, bone stock.

I was driving to work today and noticed that the car seems to be pulling power (torque?) in gears 2 through 6 while accelerating whenever the car should be making boost. The boost gage rises to the half-way point for about a second and then falls repeatedly and the car is not pulling hard like it normally does. The engine also shutters like the clutch is slipping or if there was a misfire but no CELs are thrown. Light throttle feels normal.

This happened at about 12,000 miles last Winter as well. At first I thought it was because of the cold temperatures. I checked all 4 spark plugs and the air filter but everything looked ok.

I am unable to figure out how to reproduce the problem. It made no difference if I put it in sport mode or turn ESC off, whether the A/C or climate control is on or off, regardless of the temperature outside, or if the car is warmed up or not.

Strange thing is, turning it off and back on corrects the problem at least until it (randomly) happens again.

Anyone ever experience this phenomenon or have any thoughts? I want to take it to the dealer but I feel it is moot if I/they cannot reproduce the problem.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random Loss of Power Under Acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeandy View Post
    New to the Forum. 2016 Focus ST ST3, currently with about 18,000 miles, bone stock.

I was driving to work today and noticed that the car seems to be pulling power (torque?) in gears 2 through 6 while accelerating whenever the car should be making boost. The boost gage rises to the half-way point for about a second and then falls repeatedly and the car is not pulling hard like it normally does. The engine also shutters like the clutch is slipping or if there was a misfire but no CELs are thrown. Light throttle feels normal.

This happened at about 12,000 miles last Winter as well. At first I thought it was because of the cold temperatures. I checked all 4 spark plugs and the air filter but everything looked ok.

I am unable to figure out how to reproduce the problem. It made no difference if I put it in sport mode or turn ESC off, whether the A/C or climate control is on or off, regardless of the temperature outside, or if the car is warmed up or not.

Strange thing is, turning it off and back on corrects the problem at least until it (randomly) happens again.

Anyone ever experience this phenomenon or have any thoughts? I want to take it to the dealer but I feel it is moot if I/they cannot reproduce the problem.
    Check if there was a recall for the Powertrain Control Module, I'm sure there was. There is an issue that causes the car to go into "limp mode" and turning the car off resets it, but it it can randomly happen again unless Ford flashes the PCM.
    It's happened to me once and I basically couldn't get the rpms over about 3000, not sure if this was the case with yours too.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can definitely get the rpms over 3000 but I feel like im going to damage it if i push it any farther. The car feels like it's missing the turbo all together and maybe a cylinder. It's a shame because the car has been awesome otherwise.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order as it is still under warranty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be a loose connection to a wheel speed sensor. check to see if your dash abs light comes on.

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You said you checked the spark plugs and they looked ok; did you check the gap? If the gap gets too wide the spark will blow out. Set gap to .028 or replace plugs with properly gaped plugs. These ecoboost engines go through plugs pretty quick.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow 24x5x8 Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushing, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

I spend too much of my life on FST! FostMadness's Avatar
    is cruising in style

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check the plug gap like ddfred said. I checked mine at 10,000 miles and my car was still stock and they were like .032-.035 I check the gaps on the plugs every time I change the oil now.
    '15 MM st3

Green Filter
    Boomba Bov
    MBRP exhaust
    CFM RMM
    Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 18x9 et 38
    Anarchy Motive shift knob
    fswerks SSP
    velossatech DP
    DIY Intercooler
    Bilstein B14 coilovers
    Cobb ap
    Stratified Tuned

#LylaStrong

I spend too much of my life on FST! AK2112's Avatar
    is ok

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfred View Post
    You said you checked the spark plugs and they looked ok; did you check the gap? If the gap gets too wide the spark will blow out. Set gap to .028 or replace plugs with properly gaped plugs. These ecoboost engines go through plugs pretty quick.
    Legit question- do you know why that is?
    Straightline likes this.
    16' Race Red ST1

is driving safely

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe related but probably not & my problem is absolutely minor to the point its almost not worth bringing up.

Last couple days driving to work, just holding steady 2-4K RPM heading down the highway (not using cruise control) I have fealt the occasional random stutter. No loss of power, nothing except it feels through the driver pedal like the computer/engine makes an adjustment that takes things off perfect rythm for a second, who knows as there is no light or anything. Just seems like something I am making up but of course I never noticed this for the first year of the driving the car. I am going to check my plugs (at 22000km = 13670 miles) next time I get a chance and will report what I see.

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
    Legit question- do you know why that is?
    I'm guessing from the high boost pressures these engines run. The tiny electrodes on the spark plugs and high voltage spark probably contribute too.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow 24x5x8 Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushing, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

Sponsored Links