Modding: How far is TOO far.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can you mod too much?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup!

43 72.88%
  • No Way!

6 10.17%
  • Not sure but will find out

7 11.86%
  • No idea and staying close to stock

3 5.08%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Modding: How far is TOO far.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modding: How far is TOO far.

So after reading through some BT threads and some more recent sale/part out threads it seems to me that there is a wall we can hit on the ST where you are modding just to mod and you are ruining the feel/driving experience of this as a car. Now for track guys it's a different thing, but for a DD, there seems to be a limit.

From what I can tell it seems that the added stiffness and nvh of some mods can really change the feel and people aren't realizing it until after they do the mods. Or you are adding too much power and can't use half of it and your tires only last 5k.
    So what's people's thoughts on this, where do you think people should stop? What's a popular mod that just doesn't make sense to you etc.... Or personally what did you do that you really regret and wouldn't ever put on your car again?
    Last edited by LockeLamora33; 03-10-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    2016 ST3-Boomba Racing- S+T bushings-Short shift kit w/270g knob-BPV Breedt Quick Shift Arm TbPerformance Front and Rear Traction Bars FSWERKS Cool Flo Inlet Tube Mountune RMM ActiveShiftDesign Gas Pedal Spacer CP-E Lightweight ΔCore COBB AP3 Strano Sway Bar Massive End Links Whiteline SwayBar Locks

I spend too much of my life on FST! kshatt06's Avatar
    is SELLING A BUILT MOTOR!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi my name is Kevin and I have a problem.

To me it just became a endless money pit and for what... to maybe see 500 at the tire that most of the time can not be used. Dont get me wrong this thing is a beast from a roll but I personally just let it get out of hand. I still want a ride in the speed performance st thought.
    @Stealth
    LockeLamora33, FourD and Twizzty like this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! xrayruester's Avatar
    is is is is is is is is is is is
    is is is is is

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is only too much if you decide that you don't like what you have done. I will not be adding any stiffer motor mounts or chassis stiffening as I want a some what rattle and shake free ride. That is my opinion, as there are tons of people who love adding all of that stuff. So, it is most certainly a subjective topic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayruester View Post
    It is only too much if you decide that you don't like what you have done. I will not be adding any stiffer motor mounts or chassis stiffening as I want a some what rattle and shake free ride. That is my opinion, as there are tons of people who love adding all of that stuff. So, it is most certainly a subjective topic.
    I just did the mountune RMM and have a front traction bar, going to add a rear bar and sway bar too. Hopefully it doesn't go too far. With the first two stiffeners I have been very happy so far, but there is some slight nvh now that wasn't there before.
    vaca232 likes this.
    2016 ST3-Boomba Racing- S+T bushings-Short shift kit w/270g knob-BPV Breedt Quick Shift Arm TbPerformance Front and Rear Traction Bars FSWERKS Cool Flo Inlet Tube Mountune RMM ActiveShiftDesign Gas Pedal Spacer CP-E Lightweight ΔCore COBB AP3 Strano Sway Bar Massive End Links Whiteline SwayBar Locks

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mod extent is all subjective. You can either go too far or not enough. Mods that provide function can never be excessive. Mods that provide more form than function can be taken to the extreme quite easily.
    Duece McCracken likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can go too far. As OP pointed out modding for the sake of modding can be a problem. The other problems I think of are mostly from people not fully understanding what they want/what the part does. People like to simplify things and think in absolutes. For example... someone wants to upgrade a sway bar because race car. Lets say this individual does not fully understand suspension upgrades. They buy stiffest bar they can find because "Like you know stiffest must be the best". They hate the handling of the result because they did not consider the balance of the suspension and how they want the car to handle. They tell their friends it is the best upgrade ever because they will not admit when they wasted their money (kind of like when that air filter they bought added "20% more horsepower" )

In this line of thinking, I hate seeing the "which RMM do I have?" threads (typically new owners wondering if they have the E-Focus mount or the early soft standard Focus mount). The question should not be which RMM is on your car. The question is are you experiencing issues related to your RMM. If you are, the question then becomes which mount hits the balance you want. At that point, I suppose it is appropriate to ask which mount you have so you can figure out a starting point for your search. However, prior to deciding if your current mount is too soft/stiff, the question of which mount you have is pointless.
    LockeLamora33 and ST_Fan like this.
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl Subaru XV Crosstrek

Premium Member
    is hailing Dictator Perpetuo
    Deucius McCrackus Ceasarus!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have gone too far modding your car when you can no longer afford your rent!

is Very happy with my finalized
    BT tune

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    MBRP exhaust on the BT setup is the only thing I regret. Probably going Milltek.
    360hp/400tq to the wheels will get you into a lot of trouble on a daily driver. The HP is great for the highway and some B roads.
    I've had this setup for 2 years and have no need for more power.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    LockeLamora33 and SIstomper like this.
    Unleashed Custom Big Turbo Tune | FullRace EFR 6758 | W/M I D-09 Nozzle | E-Focus Roll Restrictor(RMM) | K&N Air Filter | JBR Solid Shifter Bushings | Boomba Trans Bushings | Eibach ProKit Springs | Cobb STS 40% | JBR BSD | Avant Garde M310 18x8.5 42OS | GY Eagle F1s | Levels FMIC | Redline Tuning Hood Struts | Ford Power Button | FRPP CAI | RallyArmor Flaps | AVS Rainguards | MBRP 304 XP Series 3" TB | Steeda SS Delete | Hella Supertones

is in need of bigger turbo.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, if there IS a limit.. then...maybe we should have an intervention with @Duece McCracken because of how many mods his (Lease lmao) vehicle has
    Last edited by brian60; 03-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    LockeLamora33 and jam360nml like this.
    LETS GO PENS! STANLEY CUP CHAMPS
    2014 Peformance Blue ST3

Mods:
    Stratified 93Oct Tune - AP v3
    CP-E 3.5" FMIC
    Depo Racing Catless DP
    MBRP CBE
    Cobb RMM, CAI
    Boomba Racing Wing Risers and BOV
    VelossaTech Rear Diffuser Fins
    Rally Armour Mud Flaps
    Diode Dynamics LED Fog Lights with Yellow LaminX
    Tinted Windows/Lights
    ITV22 Spark Plugs
    Subdued Flag Decals (2) with Thin Blue Line

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian60 View Post
    Hell, if there IS a limit.. then...maybe we should have an intermission with @Duece McCracken because of how many mods his (Lease lmao) vehicle has
    Still can't get how he does this to a lease. Hopefully his dealer never checks the forum lol
    brian60 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links