Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
FocusST.org is the largest Ford Focus ST Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
    is sweating over buying wheels...

Angry New problem... extremely loud static through speakers.

New problem just happened. Opened the door, got in and started the car... as soon as the radio turned on there was an extremely loud static noise coming from the speakers. All I could do was turn the volume all the way down to make it stop. Also, with the volume turned completely down, anytime i touched the screen it would make the loud static noise again for a split second.

Doesn't sound like the ghost speaker problem as this didn't happen until I turned the car on.

Any ideas?

I spend too much of my life on FST! whackamac's Avatar
    is gettin jiggy wit it.

Now assuming that all the radio stations in your area didn't fail simultaneously, you have a very interesting issue. The first thing I would try is to pull the fuse to the head unit, put it back in, and turn it back on. Let it set itself up. Then turn the car off and disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect and let the stereo set itself up again. There are 2 different resets for the stereo and each process resets a certain key part. The service department did this on mine and it corrected many things that were wrong in my first ST. The nav started taking commands, bluetooth stopped locking up on my phone by 90%.

Maybe the stereo freaked out. It is a computer... If that doesn't work, I would see the dealer because it could be something soldered wrong inside passing voltage which could be dangerous. The fact that you touch it and it makes noise is odd.

Oh... I just got my OW ST3 (bestest color of all! ).. How do you like the short shift bracket? I am so ready to pull the trigger on that.
    Last edited by whackamac; 07-07-2013 at 07:19 PM.
    2013 Ford Focus OW ST3 v 2.0 w/Moonroof (No name yet) | Unleashed V5A Tune | Green Filter | Cobb SSB | Cobb RMM | Custom Magnaflow w/4" dual tips | TSW Carthage 18x8 Wheels | Ford Rain Guards (+10HP) | Ford Rear Molded Mudguards (+5000 TQ) |
    1/4mi: 13.76@100.93

2011 Go-Ped Sport Scooter | 4.2HP Spindle Drive Custom Engine | Billet Wheels | 0-25mph faster than your ST... | 34mph Top Speed |

2013 White Ford Fiesta S Base Sedan with tint.
    1/4mi:

FST Member TheBlackPocketRocket.'s Avatar
    This user has no status.

Or.....press the radio button and select your area as you could have bumped it. Also, ST likes reset its self bow and then for updates you may find you need to re-program the Sony

This user has no status.

This actually just happened to me earlier this week. Same exact problem, but it resolved itself after I shut off the car, opened the door, and allowed the whole system to shut down. Once I turned the car back on the static was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by whackamac View Post
    Now assuming that all the radio stations in your area didn't fail simultaneously, you have a very interesting issue. The first thing I would try is to pull the fuse to the head unit, put it back in, and turn it back on. Let it set itself up. Then turn the car off and disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect and let the stereo set itself up again. There are 2 different resets for the stereo and each process resets a certain key part. The service department did this on mine and it corrected many things that were wrong in my first ST. The nav started taking commands, bluetooth stopped locking up on my phone by 90%.

Maybe the stereo freaked out. It is a computer... If that doesn't work, I would see the dealer because it could be something soldered wrong inside passing voltage which could be dangerous. The fact that you touch it and it makes noise is odd.

Oh... I just got my OW ST3 (bestest color of all! ).. How do you like the short shift bracket? I am so ready to pull the trigger on that.
    I will see if it has corrected itself in the morning. I did not have it tuned to radio at the time. It was on Sirius and changing between inputs didn't help. It was as if any sound at all that would need to come through the speakers would just make the loud static noise instead of its usual sound. Example being the ding you usually get when you touch an input on the screen. It would just make the loud noise instead of the ding... very strange.

I love the short shift bracket. Makes a huge difference.

Problem was gone this morning... WTF... ohh well.

This user has no status.

This happened to me a few days ago as well. It scared the **** outta me! Was in a campground and it was 11pm so it probably woke everyone up as well. Hasn't happened since (you know, since my car is in the shop for overheating... =/ )

Links