Ford Focus ST Forum banner

I think I'm done.

16K views 111 replies 31 participants last post by  HoboST 
#1 ·
So I've made a few posts with issues I've been having and haven't gotten any responses yet unfortunately. Not an issue now however because the dealer has found the problem. 2014 ST w/ 24k on the odo and it is still under warranty. Earlier this year I installed a green filter and did it step by step. Everything ran great for the last 9 or so months I've had it installed (I was deployed for 4 however). Until recently. I started up the ST to go into work and noticed that it instantly went to below 1k RPMs like it does when it's warmed up, however, this was a cold start. I pressed slightly on the accelerator and the waste gate on the blow off valve stuck open and was just blowing air out of it. Took my mother's truck to work and took the ST into the dealership the next morning.

This is the second time I've taken it in for this problem now. Also, I put the OEM air filter back on before I took it back in for the second time. Got and call from the dealer saying they found dirt and sand in the inlet tube that goes to the turbo and because I had the green filter on it before that they couldn't warranty anything. They said they could tear it down and attempt to clean it out but it would cost me $360. Told them to go ahead and do that.

Get a call back saying that the seals on the turbo are toast pretty much and that it needs a new turbo now... quoted me at $1550. Told them to fix it. At this point I'm pretty fed up with this car. Get another call that afternoon saying that what he quoted me wasn't correct.... the $1550 was just labor. Parts were going to be $2000. $3500 for an apparent bad install of a $50 part. No warranty. He stopped the work and I am in the middle of trying to figure out what to do. He sent me a screenshot of the parts and their cost. I checked them via part number at the blue Springs ford website and they seem to be charging me about 150% of MSRP. They want $911 for the turbo itself and online it's $606.

Would it be possible to take the ST to another dealership with the OEM filter on it and possibly get it done under warranty? Or is my car in the Ford system as having aftermarket parts and a big DO NOT WARRANTY stamp on it?

Help? Thanks.

See less See more
#58 ·
Not quite the same thing, but my SE went into limp mode twice without a CEL (though there was a stored code for fuel pressure). Turned out to be the connector at the HPFP. Disconnecting and cleaning the contacts fixed the problem both times (about 30k miles apart). I assume someone checked for codes, CEL or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

#59 ·
Service advisor told me that the techs found body codes but nothing pertaining to the engine. There was no CEL when I brought it in because the car decided not to throw a tantrum when I started it up. I'm hoping that the CEL will pop up when I drive it around the area so I can bring it in.

#62 ·
My car does the whole hillstart assist not available and a dtc for map sensor. Even tho I've had the splices repaired. But if you key cycle the dtc goes away and everything is fine. Only happens once or twice a year. But it's related to the harness. Sounds similar to your issue. And those techs aren't going to check **** if they aren't going to get paid. If they don't replace a part they don't get paid. I'd put $50 says they just blew you off because there wasn't a dtc. I'm a dealer tech just not for Ford but audi.

#63 ·
Well there wasn't a CEL when I brought it in and it was running fine so it didn't look as though there was a issue.

#64 ·
you said the BPV was sticking open and is aftermarket?

I know Turbosmart recommends cleaning and lubing theirs with hydraulic oil every 6k miles or so(i have their BOV)

#65 ·
Yeah it's a Turbosmart. How would I even do that? I've never touched the thing.

#66 ·
Your symptoms sound like the aftermarket BOV itself is acting squirrely, or possibly the vacuum line that goes to the BOV had come loose. Your original symptoms are an exact match to this. The 1st dealer likely found the line loose, and fixed the problem by reconnecting it. Your car is probably fine, but you can probably get your vegas crew to help you swap the aftermarket BOV with a stock BPV and be done with it. It's about a 30-45 minute job with the right tools. The 1st dealer was trying to pull a fast one on you, but you should be good to go now.

#68 ·
Thank you! To both posters above me. I need to find a stock BOV to put in there but I am not sure where to find one.

#69 ·
I would ask any member who has an exhale kit with either a tial or hks BOV. They will have one lying around and might want to let it go. Check the Las Vegas Facebook group see if some guys will help you out. I'd ship you mine but I'm still waiting for my exhale kit and warmer weather to install it and remove my factory BPV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#73 ·
Well I was finally able to pick my ST up today from the dealership. No charge thankfully. The invoice states a handful of codes though. U0121, U0131, U0151, and U0401. They're basically loss of communication between the BCM. And one is for anti-lock brakes. Drove it around a bit and so far it is running fine. Going to do some more driving in the area today and this weekend to see if it acts up.

Reactions: Unfitproduct
#74 · (Edited)
I'll bet it it shows up again

Sorry @HoboST I should be more clear, I think we have the same issue...

- Dash goes crazy, all icons light up, tach and temp goes to zero even though running, dash center screen list engine fault service now (check some videos I have posted)
- I have had same codes, air bag and or traction control keeps dash lights on, wil clear on re-start
- Cannot see any codes when dash is going crazy, settle out can scan codes, P1934 a lot... turn car off all cleared, no CEL or pending codes
- When dash is going crazy cannot communicate with PCM
- Take it to Ford and they see "multiple network codes" but cannot find a problem, same problem with BCM, checked all wiring could see a problem
- Ford has re-flashed PCM, then replaced it and still have same problem (sux for me since I am close to the end of warranty @ 56,350 miles)
- Another bad part is it some what random, not everyday a event

#78 ·
I am trying to sell it now and/or trade it in. It seems that turning it off and then back on fixes the issue but it is still annoying as hell...

#80 ·
Nope. I don't have one. The stock ones are cheap though thankfully.

#81 · (Edited)
@HoboST

I am curious if you have watched video of my car? Are our cars doing the same thing?

So bizarre, we seem to be the only two that have the issues and it is seem to be the same. Personally I would like to Ford to buy the car back but they won't. Interestingly the 12 freaking times I have capture the issue on my phone since July does not count. Ford only counts the time the dealer sees the problem which is once, I had to leave the car there for 2 weeks for them to drive it everyday and see the issue. Just like you any codes, CEL or dash warning lights are gone with a restart. At this point I think I may contact an attorney and see what other avenues I have...the car is unreliable and potentially dangerous transporting my kids around in it. REALLY disappointed with Ford especially given I have always driven Fords...after 35 years I suppose brand change is the next step.

#82 ·
Sorry to hear this. Thankfully it is usually just me and sometimes my wife who are in the car.

On a somewhat good note (I guess?) I was heading home from work today and going down the freeway at about 77MPH. Thought I heard my BOV go off and sure enough it did. My check engine light FINALLY came on. So I drove all the way to the dealership where I just got back from. The car was definitely down on power. They hooked up their laptop and the guy said it was running lean and asked me if I had an aftermarket air filter on it. I have the stock one on it now thankfully. So they are going to take a look at it. If Ford would either buy back my car or just pay off my loan I would be the happiest person on the planet. I cannot wait to get rid of my ST. I hate to say that as it is a ton of fun to drive but it is in no way reliable or safe and I have no confidence in it.

#83 ·
ALRIGHT! Just got a call from the dealership. They're saying the car is fixed. It was a bad MAF sensor apparently. They replaced it under warranty. Unfortunately I'm on my way to work right now so I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow probably.

I can't believe it took almost 3 months to get here....

#84 ·
Annnnddd here we go again.

Remember how they told me it was fixed and that it was a bad MAF sensor? Well I went out to the ST earlier this evening to start it up and the fault warning came up again. No CEL though. Car shudders at about 1250 RPM. Didn't drive it. Went to our other car that ****ing works. I am beyond done with this piece of ****.

I did a vehicle health report for whatever it is worth and got a text message stating: "Immediately find a safe place to have your vehicle inspected before the concern becomes more critical." Just looked online at the report and it shows a Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power warning and a Brake Warning. Both say Urgent Service Required.

Why.

#86 ·
I'm only getting the text warning after I do a health report though. I'm about to take this car to carmax and sell it to them and pay off a car that I don't even have in my garage anymore. This car had given me nothing but trouble for the past 3 months and no one can seem to fix it. It is some random issue that only shows when it wants to.

#93 · (Edited)
Ford's MO is to act (be) sh!tty! They had no idea so they said it was the turbo, "we'll make an easy buck off of that" Dealership thought. Turned out to be something else....So Ford said "lets put on a different sensor!" Didn't work. Ford said WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING! SO LETS FUK HIM OVER!"

I feel your pain, I blew piston 1 tried to call ford to fix it....I was ignored. Took matters into my own hands. Rebuild. Screw the dealerships.
If you do buy another car Please I ENCOURAGE you to do a private purchase from someone that enjoys cars. You'll usually to most likely get a reliable car.

#94 ·
Ford's MO is to act sh!tty! They had no idea so they said it was the turbo, "we'll make an easy buck off of that" Dealership thought. Turned out to be something else....So Ford said "lets put on a different sensor!" Didn't work. Ford said WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING! SO LETS FUK HIM OVER!"

I feel your pain, I blew piston 1 tried to call ford to fix it....I was ignored. Took matters into my own hands. Rebuild. Screw the dealerships.
If you do buy another car Please I ENCOURAGE you to do a private sell from someone that enjoys cars. You'll usually to most likely get a reliable car.
Well this is a different dealership than the one that tried to sell me a new turbo. I would love to sell it private party. But I can't do that in good conscience when it has this problem with it. If they could fix it PERMANENTLY then I wouldn't mind...

#96 ·
I don't have the time or tools for that unfortunately. I would love to remove most of my mods and sell them to people who want them but I don't have the tools for most of it.

#98 ·
I just want to get rid of this car. It does nothing for me except give me problems and cost me time.

#100 ·
Nope. Gonna get something a bit bigger and more practical.

#105 ·
This is what I'm looking at. Toyota Tacoma is hopefully in my future.

#106 ·
If you're still under warranty, you can look into the federal warranty act. Basically, if Ford repeatedly can't fix your car that's under warranty, you can sue them. An ideal resolution in a case like that is: you get a few thousand dollars from Ford + you keep your car.

And I know you already experienced this at CarMax, but if you go to trade the thing in- take off any and all aftermarket sh*t. That stuff devalues cars.

#107 ·
Right. The springs on the car are the only thing that they said causes it to be so low of an offer. Taking them off now will do nothing for that because it's already in their system and it'll show wear.

I don't want to keep this car. Whats the point? And yes, the car is still under the factory warranty. It has a tick over 25k on it and I have been dealing with this issue since Oct of 2016.

#109 ·
Well I've gotten my local Toyota dealership to give me $15,500 for the ST for a trade in plus a tax credit of $1263 towards a new Tacoma. Should be coming at the end of the month. I would like to stick around this place though since the community is so cool and so are the cars.

Got a call from the Ford dealership that has my car and they have had it for just under two weeks and have put almost 200 miles on it. Nothing. They haven't been able to find anything wrong with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.