Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Racing my ST...

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Racing my ST...

Torque dampeners never did a very good job of reducing wheel hop and improving traction. Most eventually ended up buying better motor mounts. Ford will not change the mounts no matter how many people complain.
    SILVER likes this.

Performance Parts & Accessories // JamesBaroneRacing.com

I spend too much of my life on FST! SILVER's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie@JBR View Post
    Torque dampeners never did a very good job of reducing wheel hop and improving traction. Most eventually ended up buying better motor mounts. Ford will not change the mounts no matter how many people complain.
    This I believe. Neither will any of the other manufacturers.
    Friend of mine, who owns a repair shop, tells me of motor mounts that get old and sag to the point that drive line parts start bumping in to the cars frame causing strange noises and rattles.

is Steeda Rocks! Thanks guys for
    the support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is strickly my opinion and you can do what you will, but here's a tip. It's fwd and pointless to "drag race" You'll break a lot of crap as you move the weak point from one weak point to another. The car is new and learn to drive the car at a DE where you will learn to drive smoothly which will translate to better driving habits. These cars aren't like the cars of yester year where you could yank on the shifter and fan the clutch. Trust me I use to do that until I realized it was costing me a lot in wear and parts.

Age aside I would truly recommend going to a DE cause this car can get you in trouble if you aren't careful and turning TC completely off is not advisable and no one here should be recommending that to anyone. Especially in this sue crazy day and age. Sport mode is one thing but race mode trusts you know what you are doing and it will not save you if you "run out of talent" which happens to EVERYONE.

So, to your point is the engine mount soft, yes it is. Will it cause wheel hop and make a crazy banging sound. YEP. Will it eventually break. Yep. How do you fix it? You don't, but what you can do is shift smoother which will be better for your car and your wallet. Remember it's NEW, so how about enjoying it for a bit before tearing into it and undoing the engineering that someone spent a long time figuring out. Just my opinion and no offense was intended to anyone. Otherwise ENJOY!
    Spartacus, Si2012 and WoRkZ like this.
    Anthony
    Performance In-car Driving Instructor
    2003 Focus SVT Infra-Red

is NEEDING MORE SPEED!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racing my ST...

Or you could replace it..... Because like having a firewall, and tires, and traction.

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ordered the 70d one. I don't drive it overly hard, but the time or two I did step on it I got the banfg and the wheel hop. Ford surely spent a lot of time and $ in development, but that in no way means they put the best quality parts in all aspects of the car. They have bean counters to please. They have price/performance compromises to make.
    I figure for the $125 plus maybe an hour of my time, if I can improve the car with a better part, preventing some wheel hop and banging when I do step on it, it's money well spent.

Imo, which means absolutely nothing to anybody, If you're just driving it around smooth all the time, perhaps a Prius is better suited for your driving style.
    Shiftace92, DudeMan, WoRkZ and 1 others like this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no sense in dragracing FWD cars.

Quote Originally Posted by acbauza View Post
    Ok, this is strickly my opinion and you can do what you will, but here's a tip. It's fwd and pointless to "drag race" You'll break a lot of crap as you move the weak point from one weak point to another. The car is new and learn to drive the car at a DE where you will learn to drive smoothly which will translate to better driving habits. These cars aren't like the cars of yester year where you could yank on the shifter and fan the clutch. Trust me I use to do that until I realized it was costing me a lot in wear and parts.

Age aside I would truly recommend going to a DE cause this car can get you in trouble if you aren't careful and turning TC completely off is not advisable and no one here should be recommending that to anyone. Especially in this sue crazy day and age. Sport mode is one thing but race mode trusts you know what you are doing and it will not save you if you "run out of talent" which happens to EVERYONE.

So, to your point is the engine mount soft, yes it is. Will it cause wheel hop and make a crazy banging sound. YEP. Will it eventually break. Yep. How do you fix it? You don't, but what you can do is shift smoother which will be better for your car and your wallet. Remember it's NEW, so how about enjoying it for a bit before tearing into it and undoing the engineering that someone spent a long time figuring out. Just my opinion and no offense was intended to anyone. Otherwise ENJOY!
    WoRkZ and yellowfocusstman like this.

is driving on third-world roads
    all week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMAO His tires were still spinning as he crossed the timing beacon!
    Race Red ST3

Super Moderator yellowfocusstman's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is The heat is killing me...and
    my turbo...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I can't trust Civics on the street!

Unleashed/Rays Gram Lights 57 DR/CXRacing Intecooler/Rear muffler delete/Cobb CAI w/K&N filter/H&R Lowering Springs/Street Scene/Tanner Foust Front Splitter and Sideskirts(wrapped in CF)/Steeda rear swaybar/Steeda Short Throw Shifter kit/Foust/Cobb Shift Knob/JBR Solid Shifter Bushings/Powerflex Rear Motor Mount insert/TSB Top Motor Mount/NGK Iridium IX7-11 plugs/K&N Filter/Redline Hood Struts/Spec D Tuning lug nuts/Rear wiper delete/3M 1080 Carbon Fiber vinyl/LEDs

I spend too much of my life on FST! dgc333's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racing my ST...

I have owned FWD turbo Mopars continuously since 1985, the ST is my first turbo Ford and the first FWD turbo with serious wheel hop issues.

The older Mopars had three mounts and a shock absorber between the cross member and the back of the block. The PT Cruiser GT has a strut that attaches to a bracket at the bottom front of the block and ties into the k member and another at the top that ties to a bracket on the strut tower. Both of these concepts worked very well controlling wheel hop without causing a NVH issue.

IMHO, Ford blew it with the ST. I picked up my car on 1/2 ordered the eFocus lower mount on 1/5 and installed it on 1/12. It takes care of about 95% of the issue without increasing NVH.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acbauza View Post

Wow, it only took 33 posts to tell the kid that he might want to back off, learn how to drive, and not tear up the car that his folks probably bought him. Like acbauza, just my opinion.
    WoRkZ likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links