Welcome to FST.org! If you're new to cars or new to the Focus ST, you've probably seen a lot of acronyms floating around which can make posts here sound like a foreign language. Below or a collection of common acronyms you'll see around the site and what they mean.
- A/F or AFR - Air/Fuel Ratio
- AP - Accessport, COBB's handheld tuner
- AutoX - Autocross driving events
- BAT - Boost Air Temps, air temperature after the turbo
- BCM - Body Control Module
- BHP- Brake Horse Power, power measured at the crank. This is how manufacturers rate engines, while a dyno will show WHP which accounts for drivetrain loss
- BOV - Blow Off Valve
- BPV - Bypass Valve
- CAI - Cold Air Intake
- CBE - Cat Back Exhaust
- CEL - Check Engine Light
- Charge Pipe - Pressurized tubing post turbo, pre intercooler
- CHRA - Center Housing Rotating Assembly, the center section of the turbo which holds the bearings, water, and oil passages.
- COBB - Cobb Tuning COBB Tuning - Engineered Performance.
- Cold Side (pipe) - The charge pipe (see Charge Pipe) after the intercooler, where the charge air is cooler
- Cold Side (turbo) - See Compressor Housing
- COLORS: OW - Oxford White; RR - Race Red; TB - Tuxedo Black; PB - Performance Blue; TS - Tangerine Scream; IS - Ingot Silver
- Compressor Housing - The cold side of the turbo which compresses the inlet air. It is fed from the intake and feeds the Hot Side Pipe
- DBW - Drive By Wire, eletronic throttle body without a cable
- DI - Direct Injection
- DP - Downpipe
- DRL - Daytime Running Lights
- DV - Diverter Valve (See BPV)
- Dyno - Dynamometer, used to measure horsepower and torque of a car, WHP and WTQ. Also used for tuning
- EBC - Electronic Boost Controller
- ECU - Engine Control Unit, the car's computer
- ECM - Engine Control Module, see ECU and PCM
- EcoBoost - The latest turbocharged engine series offered by Ford. The Focus ST is equipped with a 2.0l variant.
- ESC - Electronic Stability Control
- EWG - External Wastegate
- Exducer - When referring to the compressor and exhaust wheels in the turbo. The exducer is where air exits the wheel, being the back (larger end) of the compressor wheel and front (smaller end) of the exhaust wheel.
- Flash - The process of installing a new tune to the ECU
- FMIC - Front Mount Intercooler
- GDI - Gasoline Direct Injection
- HPDE - High Performance Driving Event
- Hot Side (pipe) - The charge pipe (see Charge Pipe) before the intercooler, but after the turbo where the charger air is hotter
- Hot Side (turbo) - See turbine housing
- HPFP - High Pressure Fuel Pump
- A/R - Area Ratio, see Trim
- IAT - Intake Air Temp, air temp at the airbox before the turbo
- IC - Intercooler
- IM - Intake Manifold
- Inducer - When referring to the compressor and exhaust wheels in the turbo. The inducer is where air enters the wheel, being the front (smaller end) of the compressor wheel and back (larger end) of the exhaust wheel.
- IPC - Instrument Panel Cluster
- IWG - Internal Wastegate
- LSD - Limited Slip Differential
- MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure
- MBC - Manual Boost Controller
- MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light, see CEL
- MS3 - Mazdaspeed 3, used in many comparisons and shares many terms with the Focus ST
- MFT - My Ford Touch
- NVH - Noise, Vibration, and Harshness
- OBD - On Board Diagnostics, the Focus ST is an OBD II system. The port is accessed by a flip-down door on the outside trim piece below the steering wheel. This port allows ECU codes to be read, tunes flashed, or to datalog
- OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer. Ford/Motorcraft parts
- OCC - Oil Catch Can
- PCM - Powertrain Control Module, see ECU and ECM
- PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation (Valve)
- RMM - Rear Motor Mount aka. Lower Motor Mount
- SCCA - Sports Car Club of America
- ST - Sports Technologies
- SCT - Tuning company, NOT to be confused with Superchips SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!
- STS - Short Throw Shifter
- SRI - Short Ram Intake
- T-Bolt - Refers to clamps which use a "t-bolt" to tighten instead of the normal worm gear. These provide constant and even torque and are much better suited for charge pipes which blow off with worm gear clamps
- TB - Throttle Body
- TBE - Turbo Back Exhaust
- TSB - Technical Service Bulletin
- Turbine Housing - The exhaust side of the turbo which powers the compressor. The exhaust wheel is connected to the compressor wheel on a shaft through the CHRA
- Trim - Trim is a term to express the relationship between the inducer and exducer of both turbine and compressor wheels. More accurately, it is an area ratio. Wheel Trim | Turbobygarrett
- Tune - A custom calibration for engine parameters flashed to the ECU
- TVC - Torque Vectoring Control
- WGA - Wastegate actuator
- WHP - Wheel Horse Power, can be FWHP, RWHP, or AWHP depending on front, rear, or all wheel drive. This is power measure at the wheels. See also BHP
- WOT - Wide Open Throttle, full throttle
- WTQ - Wheel Torque, engine torque as measured at the wheels. See also WHP
Please feel free to add more below and they'll be added to this post.
Last edited by XRJoe; 11-21-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Tuxedo Black ST1
Wide Body Flares, 18x10+15 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 wheels wrapped in 265/35/18 Nitto NT555, Eibach Sportlines, AirLift 1000 Air Springs, GTX2867, Panda hot & cold side charge pipes, Roush Intake, Roush Cat Back, HKS Blow Off Valve, Cobb Accessport , OCDSpeed Crackpipe, Levels FMIC, Cobb RMM, Cobb symposer delete, ST3 Recaro swap, Rally Armor Mud Flaps, 5% tint all around, Kicker L7
Great idea, I think this will help a lot of people out.
love it, but you forgot WTF
N/A - naturally aspirated
im kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, im on here to learn.. so what does OMF mean?
Last edited by Krayzmac; 08-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.