Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ST and winter driving

  1. #1
    FST Noob! Baggio's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ST and winter driving

    I am new to this forum, but I have been a Ford enthusiast for many years, particularly with Mustangs. I am a forum admin on Mustang forum. I have owned a 98 GT and I currently have supercharged/intercooled 01 GT pushing about 430-440 RWHP. I live in area where snow is commonplace in the winter, so I only get to drive the Mustang from Spring through Fall.

    My current DD is a modified 2006 Mazdaspeed6 pushing about 290-300 WHP. So, I am also familiar with the direct injected turbo cars. So, as it comes time to replace my DD, I am looking for a fun car, that can be driven through the elements. I am interested in the ST, but FWD does concern me a bit. I put snow tires on my AWD Mazdaspeed6 and I can just go about through anything. I would put snow tires on the ST, but I am concerned that I may be taking a step back from AWD. I'd like to to get some input from those who drive their ST in the snow as to how it handles. Where I live we get lake effect snow and can really get dumped on in short period of time. Thanks in advance for you input. Below are pics of my cars for anyone that cares.

    2006 Mazdaspeed6:

    Name:  kazera01.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  112.3 KB

    Name:  ets02.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  85.9 KB


    2001 Mustang GT:

    Name:  gt-07-c.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  96.4 KB

    Name:  engine01.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  148.4 KB

  2. #2
    I spend too much of my life on FST! gp177's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of winter driving is the tires. Put good snows on (even at 8 inches of width) and you can drive through anything.

    I've had no problems in a MA winter.

  3. #3
    FST Member SilverCloud's Avatar
    is One week / 500 miles.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I refused to get a rear wheel drive car for this specific reason. FWD or AWD makes the car more functional for me over the course of the year. So get the best snow tires you can afford and if you have any cash left, get a set of wheels to go with them. My experience with the ST is limited, but as far as snow/ice goes, FWD is the way to go unless weather is so bad that AWD is the only logical option. You might want to consider slightly narrower snow tires and of course smaller wheels so the tires can be taller. Overall, better traction on narrower tires in snow and smaller rims more likely to survive if the tires are taller.
    Last edited by SilverCloud; 02-18-2013 at 06:53 PM.

  4. #4
    FST Noob! Baggio's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverCloud View Post
    FWIW, I refused to get a rear wheel drive car for this specific reason. FWD or AWD makes the car more functional for me over the course of the year. So get the best snow tires you can afford and if you have any cash left, get a set of wheels to go with them. My experience with the ST is limited, but as far as snow/ice goes, FWD is the way to go unless weather is so bad that AWD is the only logical option. You might want to consider slightly narrower snow tires and of course smaller wheels so the tires can be taller. Overall, better traction on narrower tires in snow and more rims more likely to survive if the tires are taller.
    That's the dilemma for me. After owning an AWD car with a dedicated set of snow tires and rims, I am a little leery about anything that is not AWD as my DD. I have a few months to decide, so it's not like I have to rush this decision.

  5. #5
    I spend too much of my life on FST! giles's Avatar
    is sick of all the STalling
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how my ST handles in the winter. There don't seem to be many people that hate it, in fact everyone loves it.
    Search this forum for 'winter' and you'll find great discussions. There's even a member out there that thinks the ST handles better than their old Mazdaspeed 6.

  6. #6
    FST Senior Member Corradokev's Avatar
    is Just broke 77,000mi! :)
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Springfield, MA
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially thought trading in my S40 T5 AWD for the ST was going to be a horrible decision because of the snow here in MA. And as bad as the snow has been, even with my stock Goodyear F1's, I've really only missed the AWD in the blizzard. And no amount of AWD or studded snow tires was going to help me with that. Once the F1's wear out, I'll be putting studded winter tires on for next year's winter and some 19" wheels for the summer. The difference in the level of handling from the AWD to FWD is night and day and is well worth the sacrifice of AWD.
    2013 TS ST3 Fully loaded
    Green Filter
    Unleashed Tune
    Forge BPV
    Milltek Catless DP

    "You buy cheap, you buy twice!"

  7. #7
    FST Noob! Baggio's Avatar
    This user has no status.
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corradokev View Post
    I initially thought trading in my S40 T5 AWD for the ST was going to be a horrible decision because of the snow here in MA. And as bad as the snow has been, even with my stock Goodyear F1's, I've really only missed the AWD in the blizzard. And no amount of AWD or studded snow tires was going to help me with that. Once the F1's wear out, I'll be putting studded winter tires on for next year's winter and some 19" wheels for the summer. The difference in the level of handling from the AWD to FWD is night and day and is well worth the sacrifice of AWD.
    It's good to hear that you didn't regret going from AWD to FWD. I am going to the auto show here next week, so I will check out the ST and see if there is anything else to consider. Maybe a WRX, but their redo looks to be delayed a year and do not want to invest in an aging platform.

  8. #8
    FST Senior Member Shiftace92's Avatar
    is Loving my ST3!! Ordered
    10/31/12. Estimated delivery
    date 12/31/12 Actual Delivery
    01/10/13. Picked up
    01/14/13!!!
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachussetts
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as driving in the winter snow with the stock summer tires... goodluck because you are not getting anywhere without someone pushing!

  9. #9
    FST Senior Member Corradokev's Avatar
    is Just broke 77,000mi! :)
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Springfield, MA
    Posts
    193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftace92 View Post
    As far as driving in the winter snow with the stock summer tires... goodluck because you are not getting anywhere without someone pushing!
    Then I've had some really good luck this winter! I thought I'd have this problem but the road crews this year have done an amazing job (with the exception of the day of the blizzard) and I've not been stuck. Granted I'm not trying to drive through 6" of snow, but through the 1"-3" snowfalls we received, I haven't had any problems. This is my 24th winter behind the wheel of a car so I'm used to driving in this stuff. I'm sure the winter tires next year will help though.
    2013 TS ST3 Fully loaded
    Green Filter
    Unleashed Tune
    Forge BPV
    Milltek Catless DP

    "You buy cheap, you buy twice!"

  10. #10
    Moderator XRJoe's Avatar
    Premium Member
    is -
     

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,827
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corradokev View Post
    Then I've had some really good luck this winter! I thought I'd have this problem but the road crews this year have done an amazing job (with the exception of the day of the blizzard) and I've not been stuck. Granted I'm not trying to drive through 6" of snow, but through the 1"-3" snowfalls we received, I haven't had any problems. This is my 24th winter behind the wheel of a car so I'm used to driving in this stuff. I'm sure the winter tires next year will help though.
    You're still on the stock tires?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You sir, have a death wish.



    And to the OP, going from AWD to FWD (assuming same tires) you'll notice it a bit harder to get moving, especially if on a hill in bad conditions, but once moving there's not much difference. You still add power and counter-steer to get out of trouble and the ST is very, very easy to drive. I had no problem driving during and after the blizzard we got a couple weeks ago. As long as you don't high-center the car or stuff if into a snow bank, you'll be ok. Seems like you know already, but proper tires are a must.
    Joe

    2013 Focus ST
    1985 Merkur XR4Ti

    Confused by acronyms? http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...ons-terms.html

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Pressure on Winter Tires in Winter (18-30 degrees F)
    By STart Your Engine in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
  2. The best songs about driving a car.
    By FocuSTed in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM
  3. Driving Technique Help
    By Jetspeed in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
  4. Saw my first ST out driving the other day...
    By JazST in forum Focus ST Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 07:30 AM
  5. Just Driving...
    By Scrming in forum Focus ST Photo/Videos
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Search tags for this page

2013 focus st winter driving
,
focus st in the winter
,

focus st in winter

,

focus st winter

,

focus st winter driving

,
ford focus st in winter
,

ford focus st winter driving

,
ford focus st winter tires
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Find us on Google+