#1 · (Edited)
Built my own Hitch for the ST Pics Included

Font Auto part Pipe
Floor
Table Bumper Floor Furniture Automotive exterior
Bumper Automotive exterior Floor Auto part Table
Vehicle Car Auto part Bumper Exhaust system
Auto part Automotive exhaust Vehicle Bumper Exhaust system
So I spent 80 bucks on some steel a receiver ball and some wire and 6 hours later I got a hitch. I used the bolt holes for the plates that hold up the exhaust hangers. there are 4 so i just went and got 4 longer Grade 8 bolts and it just bolted right up no drilling. I might eventually add two horizontal bolts and a metal tab to strengthen it but I'll have to drill. For now I'm sure it will hold up just fine I'll only be taking my dirt bike to the track every once in a while so it'll only be about 600lbs with the trailer tops so i figured that should due. I'm not expecting to tow anything heavier that's what i got my F150 for but this will take a tiny utility trailer around just fine. I posted my progress Just in case anyone with a welder wanted to duplicate this it literally is bolt on no modifications required to the car at all. I can give you specific measurements and where to cut if anyone is interested.

How to guide to follow with step by step instructions and pictures

Let me know if you guys see any issues but I'm thinking I'm going take it in to get powder coated tomorrow I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like.

#3 ·
nice. build me one.

although it may not fit over the cp-e exhaust i have....

#5 ·
I have the COBB 3" and it doesn't even come close to it. It follows the indention where your spare tires is in the trunk. Unless your exhaust tips are bigger, that is the only place it comes close is where the receiver is. Mine is snug up underneath and you cant see it at all I wish i still had my stock exhaust to see if it would work with it since a guy I know wants one too. I actually have enough steel to make 2 more from what i originally bought since i had to buy 12 foot sticks from the metal store. Honestly I kinda want to see how it holds up before I paint it cuz i might end up modifying the design a little. I want to add two more bolts that run through the body. I was hoping someone from this forum seen my post and has already installed the ones that go under the exhaust too see how they mounted there hitches (hardware wise)

#4 ·
Looks good man, and for a dirtbike and trailer it should be plenty good

#7 ·
No I didn't good tip, its pulled out right now I as going to add something for the trailer chains and if i have time I'll add those to extra bolts and the tabs for them to bolt through the body. might not drill them but at least get them there if i ever decide to get my drill out. I have time to kill tomorrow anyways so if you see anything else let me know. Rather do it now before it gets painted

#9 ·
I wish I had a chop saw and a welder.....I miss highschool for that reason alone lmao

#12 ·
Would love to see some plans for this so I could do a mock-up and see if it fits with stock tips. I need a way to carry my mountain bikes on my ST instead of having to take the SUV every time I want to go ride. I have the hitch receiver attachment for the bikes, just need to make one of these up. PM me with measurements/plans please?

#14 ·
Will Do, I actually had to go out of town for work but will do it when I get back tomorrow. I was going to make up a how too guide now that i done it already. I bet with a step by step instructions/mesurements you could probly build one in under 3 hours with the right tools and $30 bucks if you already have the reciver, hitch/ball that what cost me the most money the steel was under 20 bucks with 4 dollers for the grade 8.... Well their metric so its 8x1.25 and they need to be 10.9 thats the equivalent to SAE grade 8 in strength. I'll start and work on a doc with steps tonight and when i finish or just link it to you on the how to thread. i'll PM dimentions to you when i get back home to see if it will work with the stock exhaust. You want clearences from frame or just the dimentions of the hitch?

#13 ·
Wow, that looks great... Would work great with quick release bicycle racks

#15 ·
Both would work best, thanks.

Drive it like you stole it!

#18 ·
Looks great, however the only concern I see is that the exhaust will be dumping right onto the hitch and/or wiring harness for the trailer lights.

Let us know how this works out long term.

#20 ·
Ok you are right the electrical was starting to get melted by the exhaust but i just routed it over the trailer tong and it worked out perfect. As far as the hitch, receiver, chain, they got warm but its steel so a little heat wont bother it. I just spray painted mine and its been getting heated by the exhaust for 4 days now and the paint hasn't even peeled and even the gloss still looks good. Oh and BTW everyone all the more recent info i'm going to be putting on the How Too thread

#24 ·
Just some updates after building a few of these for some fellow ST drivers my design has slightly changed by spacing the receiver 1/8th of an inch lower with a piece of steel between the 2x2 tube and the receiver so it wont touch the bumper. The original one i made for my car touched the plastic bumper but I kept it that way so it wouldn't rattle if i left the ball in.

#25 ·
PM sent!

#30 ·
I guess he didnt get back to you either, wondercif he still has a st or even makes these anymore.. last activity was 2017

#29 ·
View attachment 64037 View attachment 64038 View attachment 64034 View attachment 64033 View attachment 64032 View attachment 64035 View attachment 64036 So I spent 80 bucks on some steel a receiver ball and some wire and 6 hours later I got a hitch. I used the bolt holes for the plates that hold up the exhaust hangers. there are 4 so i just went and got 4 longer Grade 8 bolts and it just bolted right up no drilling. I might eventually add two horizontal bolts and a metal tab to strengthen it but I'll have to drill. For now I'm sure it will hold up just fine I'll only be taking my dirt bike to the track every once in a while so it'll only be about 600lbs with the trailer tops so i figured that should due. I'm not expecting to tow anything heavier that's what i got my F150 for but this will take a tiny utility trailer around just fine. I posted my progress Just in case anyone with a welder wanted to duplicate this it literally is bolt on no modifications required to the car at all. I can give you specific measurements and where to cut if anyone is interested.

How to guide to follow with step by step instructions and pictures

Let me know if you guys see any issues but I'm thinking I'm going take it in to get powder coated tomorrow I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
PM sent, get in touch if you still make these... thanks

#32 ·
I havent heard anything either...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.