Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Torque Steer = Get a WRX

25K views 136 replies 65 participants last post by  2.3T 
#1 ·
Okay so I’ve been looking forward to getting my ST for a while now, I mean I even have a name lined up for her. But upon my second test drive a couple days ago I realized just how much torque steer there is when you push this thing. Okay so it wasn’t that bad, nothing I couldn’t handle but at the same time why deal with it when you can get a vehicle (for about the same price) that doesn’t have it like the WRX?

*** “don’t be a %$#*@” posts expected ***

I haven’t been able to test drive a Subaru yet but after researching it’s probably the biggest contender going up against my urge to get an ST.

I want to know if any of you guys have any history with the WRX, and what lead you to ST instead?

#44 ·
There is so much torque steer I crashed my focus.

Said no one ever

#45 ·
Had a '11 WRX that I traded for my '13 ST that I then traded for my '15 WRX. Torque steer is minimal at best on the ST. Try driving a speed3.

#46 ·
The torque steer is absolutely terrible in this car...

When you take your hands off the wheel and floor it in 2nd gear anyways. Lol while driving I rarely ever feel any torque steer, but people are spot on about the MS3 torque steer xD I also had the option of getting a 2015 WRX, the AWD was especially tempting, but I just couldn't. The base model with a deck lid spoiler (sorry excuse for a spoiler if you ask me), after delivery and taxes and whatnot was almost $30k...I thought that was ridiculous. My base ST (with stripes!) cost me $22.5 out the door, much better if you ask me, the AWD isn't worth the extra $7.5k. Not to mention the 2015 WRX is the ugliest WRX to ever be produced, in my opinion anyway lol. Oh and of course the elimination of the hatch weighed heavily on my decision.

#49 ·
But why are we taking our hands off the wheel and flooring it?

#61 ·
Lol I'm just being funny, although I did try it once and even then the car doesn't jerk to the side like the MS3 xD

Errmmm, honestly I still don't like how they look, the 2009-2014 sedans and hatches both looked beautiful in my opinion, even the bug eye WRX looks decent, but the combination of no more hatch and the drastic change in styling made me iffy on getting one, plus the price difference of course. But yeah, the 2015 WRX is absolutely amazing aside from that, finally a decent 6 speed, more than usable power, DI, better fuel economy, timing chain instead of belt, and last but not least the amazing suspension and steering. And they've finally touched up the interior a bit, although I still say the ST has a more refined interior and much nicer exterior.

Edit: It almost looks like a Honda Civic, previous generation, they rounded it out way too much for my taste.

#50 ·
If you think this car has torque steer I feel sorry for you. I was amazed when I first drove this car in how well it keeps itself straight.

Go drive a first gen MS3 then talk about torque steer.

Also these cars are not made for straight line boring ****, they are made for corners, if you want a straight line car go buy a rwd car...

#58 ·
If you don't want torque steer, turn off traction control. And hold the wheel around (3) and 9<-only during corners and not at 12.

Reactions: J_Noodle
#60 ·
Well, first off, a question/suggestion. Have you tried driving the ST while in sport mode? Doing so will turn off the traction control and it seems to make torque steer much less noticeable. I almost always drive while in sport mode and I can't remember the last time I even noticed any torque steer.

Secondly, the ST is much more fun to drive in my opinion. Here's what's in my garage:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car

ST averages 27 MPG. The WRX averages 22.
ST averages 8/10 smiles per miles. WRX averages 6/10.
:crazy:

#78 ·
Well, first off, a question/suggestion. Have you tried driving the ST while in sport mode? Doing so will turn off the traction control and it seems to make torque steer much less noticeable. I almost always drive while in sport mode and I can't remember the last time I even noticed any torque steer.

Actually I didn't. Now I'm curious to check out the difference. Thanks!!
And I must say taking the on ramp at like 60 when first driving the car was really exciting and confidence inspiring. FUN is definitely the right word.
I really love this car I hope everyone doesn't have the wrong idea :)

#75 ·
Had a 2000 2.5RS I traded in for my ST. Had an aftermarket Turbo kit installed; not quite the same as a WRX, but pretty similar performance to the original 2.0L ones because it was lighter. Anyways, torque steer is nothing to be afraid of, you get used to it. And the reason I didn't consider a WRX instead was fuel economy (the AWD sucks more power and hurts economy), cost (more expensive, worse fuel economy), looks (not fond of it personally on the current stuff), and quality (paint on Subarus is pretty poor, and mine had constant issues with wheelbearings that pissed me off, not to mention the headgasket issues my engine was well known for). It was fairly reliable, but gave me enough little problems that I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with Subaru again.

#77 ·
well for me a WRX is god ugly

and come on, why not support the North American economy and buy the Ford.

I will always buy north American vehicles. Except for bikes, because there isn't a decent American sport bike....YET!!

Reactions: 05GTgoin13FocusST
#93 ·
The Focus ST is the first performance vehicle I've owned and the first 200+ hp fwd car I've ever driven. In all my daily driving situations, even when driving like an immature asshole, the torque-steer barely registers to me at all. I've only been able to really notice it during full WOT acceleration. I keep wondering if people who actually complain about it (including youtube car review guys) are just trolling hard or are really that sensitive to it. It truly seems like a complete non-issue to me.

#98 ·
I wanted a WRX...until I test drove one and realized how much of a POS they are. Bought my ST and couldn't be happier; AWD would be nice and all but not having it isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: TagsxA and oxbig7
#102 ·
I came from a 2012 WRX. Honestly there are a lot of things I miss about it.

To be honest, the only thing currently keeping me from trading in my focus for a 15 wrx is the fact that I have 0% for 60 months and wouldn't be able to get that with a new subaru.

I'll wait a couple years and I'll most likely get into a WRX again or a dart SRT-4

#103 ·
I think you can get used to it, and anticipate it. But there was a time when is caught me off guard when I was making a quick U-turn and I almost sideswiped another car.

I really hate how the MS3 nerfs power when the steering wheel is cut too hard, it's actually almost gotten me into trouble a few times where I was anticipating having power that wasn't there.

#107 ·
This pisses me off to no end, it makes merging into traffic unpredictable because you don't know if you have the power there or not thanks to the SWAS (steering wheel angle sensor). It's too aggressive in cutting the power. If it were just half as aggressive in policing the amount of boost it would be much better than it is now.

#104 ·
One of my friends bought a 2014 WRX hatchback. He hates the 2015 styling and the fact that there's no more hatchback. He had to have his 2014 driven around 300 miles as it was the closest one that was like he wanted. I think it had 400 or 500 miles on it by the time he got it. Also, I've driven his WRX and it's ok but nothing to write home about.

My new FoST had 8 miles on it when I test drove it, 10 miles on it when I took delivery, I paid much less, and got more options! I love it!

And the torque steer in the FoST is barely even noticeable.

#105 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.