Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Sound symposer off switch??

I spend too much of my life on FST! tylern012's Avatar
    is needing a vacation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unplugging that stupid thing is the best thing that I have done so far.

2013 Focus ST Race Red

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any CEL's with it unplugged?

is needing a vacation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coneklr View Post
    Any CEL's with it unplugged?
    Nope!

2013 Focus ST Race Red

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the sound symposer but wonder if it hurts performance in any way.

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black

is needing a vacation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomfort001 View Post
    i like the sound symposer but wonder if it hurts performance in any way.
    I dyno's with it unplugged and made 238whp and 266wtq. While running 89 octane E10 gas. Im gonna go with no.

2013 Focus ST Race Red

lug
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sins View Post
    Raise of hands...... Post of hands, how many people have heard an Asthmatic Goat getting screwed by a Ravaged Badger. But with good head.

pics?

I spend too much of my life on FST! Breezeknees's Avatar
    is waiting for brakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sins View Post
    Raise of hands...... Post of hands, how many people have heard a "GOOD MOTOR" sound, not an exhaust, not pipeless engine, but the motor is self. Anyone with a degrees in sound waves can make a car sound amazing. My 04 accord was retartedly loud, but it sounded amazing, somehow, sounded like a large GM V6 with a set Magnaflows at idle. But the motor sounded like it was a Fly stuck in a large mason jar. The ST motor actualy has a very beautiful Engine not, no its not a Mercedes or a Lamborghini in the note division but for a tiny 2.0 4 Banger its the best sound Engine i heard.

Maybe its more of an American V8 thing, But a Chevy 350 Motor it self sounds like an Asthmatic Goat getting screwed by a Ravaged Badger. But with a good set of headers and some high end Flowmaster Sounds like a Monster getting ready to go on a killing spree. I have a buddy who has a Pulling truck running open headers, That mutha is LOUD as HELL, and sounds good. But you listen the the motor.... ehhhh sounds like a misfiring Vacuum Cleaner.

So all in all, I love the sound Symposer, yes it artificial enhances the loudness of the engine note, but thats still the engine note. Wish i had a way to make it stay on lol.
    Here's a good motor sound:

is driving on third-world roads
    all week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good old Renault F1 engine! The engine of champions! Got to sample it for real a couple of times and I can tell you, nothing compares to an F1 engine at full throttle!

The LFA's engine sounds a bit like a race engine... it's probably the closest you can get to that sound on a road car. None of the high frequency of course... more like hearing an F1 when you've got your earplugs on (which is not really a choice anyway)...
    PEIwoman likes this.
    Race Red ST3

I spend too much of my life on FST! kwsmithphoto's Avatar
    is user who now hates bubble gum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    I drove the car home opened the hood and took the hose off that runs from the intake manifold to the base of the windshield ..Took 30 seconds done, it sounded like a computer game . Carl
    Ya, me too, sounds like a toy car. I removed the hose and capped off the valve that feeds it. The car sounds like a proper car now. I would like a nicer exhaust tone but the stock one will do for now. Removing the stupid tube thing lets you actually hear the entire engine and it's mechanical noises, which sound pretty good, very refined...except for the DI noise at idle, but you can't hear that inside anyway.

A conspiracy theorist might conclude that the main reason they put it there was to mask various buzzes and rattles as the interior parts wear into each other and quiet down (or not). Since disabling mine I've been able to hear an instrument cluster buzz come and go, an overhead sunroof noise go away, and a right door panel rattle come and go, all in 1700 miles and fair weather. It was probably cheaper to engineer and build that silly sound tube.

It shouldn't be long before a good sounding and louder exhaust system or even just a muffler that fits is available. And if if you like intake noise (I don't), ditching the stock CAI box will noise things up a bit, but isn't likely to do anything useful.

The stock CAI looks pretty well done to me so I doubt there's much if anything to be gained there. But even if it doesn't add power, a little more grumble from an aftermarket muffler might be nice...once the tuners get a real handle on the electronics to give us well tested reliable power, anyway. No sense making a louder car that can be blown away by a whisper quiet Camry V6. IMO I think the ST is a bit underpowered to be making any fuss of itself, even if it sounds good from the outside, but their inside solution sounded like a cheap vacuum cleaner with a dirty sock stuck in it.

I don't miss it.

It's really a bad design anyway - I could feather foot acceleration and then for no reason at all it would sound like I was shooting for pole at the Indy 500, while I was getting passed by almost everybody else on the road. So.Totally.Lame. I think you need to be 14 years old with your dad driving to like it. And there's a rumor that one of the production delays was to make it sound "better?" Better than what, washing underwear in my food processor? Well maybe they got that far, but it still sounds like cat hair fouling up in my Dyson. Very British Agricultural.

Sound Composter disabled. This car has never been raced, modified, or abused in any way. Maintained as required, only wear items have been replaced with OEM or better parts, in compliance with all warranty terms, and federal and state laws.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you asking for pics and where its located. I have attached a picture pointing at where to disconnect it.

At the tip of the red arrow you can detach easily.

I detached mine. Car sounds quieter. More stealthy. I like it. I will roll with it that way a while and see if I like it.

Name:  Symposer.jpg
Views: 5441
Size:  71.6 KB
    phobic99 and RPhilMan1 like this.
    Performance Blue ST2
    SCT X3P tuned by Torrie at Unleashed Tuning www.unleashedtuning.com
    E-Focus Rear Motor Mount
    Buschur Racing Filter
    VisionPRO Gen II 6000K HID Conversion
    254 HP 299 TQ STD

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Links