Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: All in One Wheel Cleaning Thread

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in One Wheel Cleaning Thread

These wheels were giving me fits. They looked dirty every day, and I couldn't get them clean easily. Went to my local Pepboys because they seem to have the widest selection of car detailing supplies. That said, they are the worst place to go for actual parts in my opinion. I generally have better luck at Oreily Auto Parts or Napa. Anyways, I actually went to get some meguiars ultimate black, but I walked out with a couple other goodies.... The links below are for descriptive purposes as I can't find these items listed on the PepBoys site.

This handy bendy flat blade wrapped in microfiber and mesh makes quick work of cleaning the wheels. In fact, it even cleaned the interior of the rims, and was thin enough to fit behind the caliper so I was able to clean the wheels in entirety without moving the car. I just sprayed the wheels down with some diluted simple green, let it sit for a minute, wiped with the nifty tool, and rinsed.

Bend & Wash Wheel Cleaner Tool - Ford Parts

I then finished the wheels off with Meguiars brake dust barrier. I was skeptical of how well it would work, but so far it's working well. Washed the car Sunday, and as of today, the wheels look almost freshly washed. The wheels do need to be dry, and spray it on thinly. Water drops make it dry white, as do runs. If that happens, wipe off with rubbing alchohol and start over.

Meguiars Brake Dust Barrier

ST_org4124 and Elizabeth like this.

I spend too much of my life on FST! FucusStandard's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    These wheels were giving me fits. They looked dirty every day, and I couldn't get them clean easily. Went to my local Pepboys because they seem to have the widest selection of car detailing supplies. That said, they are the worst place to go for actual parts in my opinion. I generally have better luck at Oreily Auto Parts or Napa. Anyways, I actually went to get some meguiars ultimate black, but I walked out with a couple other goodies.... The links below are for descriptive purposes as I can't find these items listed on the PepBoys site.

This handy bendy flat blade wrapped in microfiber and mesh makes quick work of cleaning the wheels. In fact, it even cleaned the interior of the rims, and was thin enough to fit behind the caliper so I was able to clean the wheels in entirety without moving the car. I just sprayed the wheels down with some diluted simple green, let it sit for a minute, wiped with the nifty tool, and rinsed.

Bend & Wash Wheel Cleaner Tool - Ford Parts

I then finished the wheels off with Meguiars brake dust barrier. I was skeptical of how well it would work, but so far it's working well. Washed the car Sunday, and as of today, the wheels look almost freshly washed. The wheels do need to be dry, and spray it on thinly. Water drops make it dry white, as do runs. If that happens, wipe off with rubbing alchohol and start over.

Meguiars Brake Dust Barrier

Great write up! Keep updating us on that brake dust barrier product. My wheels seem especially dusty on the ST.
    Breezeknees likes this.

is driving a Tuned, Black MonSTer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, keep us up to date on the brake dust spray barrier. I used - I think it was - Armor Alls version. It did great for like a week or so, then the dust just started caking up in areas. Don't know if it wore off in certain spots or what.

is nvm tint... working on the
    audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find and write up! Will definitely be looking for these products

I spend too much of my life on FST! SierraTango's Avatar
    is organizing meets and going
    fast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice write up! finally a cure to my frustrations

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up.

Here is a good combo that I use on my cars and my clients cars, might be a bit overkill for some but I highly recommend all these products.

Daytona wheel brush for inner guard lining and inner part of the wheel, this brush is fantastic everyone should have one.

Vikan multi purpose brush for the wheel face/spokes.

Swissvax wheel brush for in and around wheel nuts and tight spots

Carpro Iron-X as a wheel cleaner as it's not a harsh acid, It's pH neutral and only dissolves iron particles.

Nanolex alloy wheel sealant or Optimum Opti-coat 2.0 to seal the wheels and stop brake dust from attaching itself to the alloy and causing damage. This step also makes them MUCH easier to clean in future.

Last edited by green_comet; 11-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    STWheels 513 likes this.

is lovin' the complements I get
    on my ST!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was going crazy when I looked at my wheels so, I can relate to the "...wheels giving you fits." The break dust looks like someone came along with a pencil and made strategic lines. Frustrating! I took a micofiber cloth and "made the the marks go away" sure my fingers were a tad sore, but it got the job done.

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P21s wheel cleaner is the best stuff I've ever used to clean brake dust off rims. It's non-acidic and water based so it's good on painted, clear coated, polished, and anodized wheels. It's kinda pricey but definetly well worth it IMHO.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green comet, you have a pretty intensive combo there. beats my sub $20 solution, lol

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's pretty overkill, but I do run a small detailing business here so I need to have a heap of good car cleaning products around.

If I can recommend only one thing to everyone, don't skimp on brushes... get yourself a couple good quality wheel brushes. They might be a bit expensive initially but they will last you for years, give you better results and make cleaning your wheels much easier.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Links