Building the Perfect Daily
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Building the Perfect Daily

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building the Perfect Daily

Thanks for dropping by guys!

This is my second thread I've started on this forum. I joined, became a lurker and never had the urge to post anything. Well now I do.

JDM No Longer

Above is the first post I made, mostly just me giving a rundown on who I am, my car history and the fact that I bought a new car like so many others have done. Well it's been almost a year since I've bought the car, and after some very insightful advice from a long time friend of mine (Wait a year until you mod the car). His reasoning behind me not modding the car? Give me ample time to break the car in and make sure there are no factory defects as well as allow me to further grow a bond between myself and the car, get to know the ins and outs, every single detail about the car. One year and 14k miles later, after numerous parts lists, build ideas, temptations to switch to a Subaru or go with an RS, I've stuck with my little white hatchback because she's never done anything to let me down. Wise advice? I'd say so.

Well now I know everything I need to know about the car, everything it can and can't do, every limitation the car may have (might I also say that Ford did an amazing job with this car?) and I've decided to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of buying the car. Developed a parts list and have a general idea of a build I'd like to do but my problem was figuring out where to start first. The car is a very well rounded and balanced car from the factory. Ample power, plenty of handling ability, decent fuel economy, I never had a single complaint about it at all in my first year of ownership. So where was I going to start?

My goal for the car isn't to chase numbers or to beat a particular car on the street or to set records. This car is my daily and I love everything about it, so my goal is to make the car more or less mine and not one of many mass produced cars. I want to have a smooth, linear powerband with no crazy peaky boost or lag. I want it to be useable power, it's not fun if you can't hook and FWD cars don't look cool spinning all day (sorry not sorry). Ideally I'd like a nice conservative tune, maybe 290 or 300 or so but like I said, numbers mean nothing to me.

Anyways, if you've read this far I thank you. If this build interests you, stick around! I look forward to making this list be completed and seeing the car become a reality. I've got about $500 every paycheck I can toss at this list, so it won't be done particularly in order so much as what's available and if it's within budget as well as where I'm at during the build (i.e. pointless for me to do coilovers on stock wheels IMO)

POWER

Injen short ram intake - $277 Edge Autosport - Ordered 30 Mar 17 - Installed 4 Apr 17
    Airtec FMIC
    Damond oil catch can - $151 Edge Autosport - Ordered 13 Apr 17
    GReddy Sp Supreme exhaust - $675 THmotorsports - Ordered 14 Mar 17 - Installed 8 Apr 17
    GReddy MX downpipe
    SCT Handheld tuner - $400 Unleashed Tuning - Ordered 13 Apr 17 - Installed 20 Apr 17
    91 Octane tune - Unleashed Tuning / Torrie - Ordered 13 Apr 17 - Installed 20 Apr 17

HANDLING

CP-E Stage 1 rear motor mount - $131 Edge Autosport - Ordered 7 Apr 17 - Installed 14 Apr 17
    Bilstein B14 coilovers
    Steeda front and rear swaybar combo
    Whiteline endlinks
    TB Performance strut bar - Group Buy
    TB Performance front/rear traction bars
    DBA Pads / Rotors
    Stoptech braided brake lines

AESTHETICS

Boomba BOV - $135 Edge Autosport - Ordered 3 Apr 17 - Installed 8 Apr 17
    Boomba symposer delete - $39 Edge Autosport - Ordered 30 Mar 17 - Installed 5 Apr 17
    Boomba quick shift
    Cobb polyurethane exhaust hangers - $46 Edge Autosport - Ordered 7 Apr 17
    Gram Lite 57DR - 18x8.5 +38
    Maxton Design front lip
    Maxton Design side skirt extensions
    Maxton Design rear diffuser
    Maxton Design Spoiler extension
    Yellow foglight overlays - $21 Headlight Armor - Ordered 15 Mar 17 - Installed 18 Mar 17
    Yellow foglight H8 bulbs
    Mountune shift knob
    Mountune shift boot
    "Mugen Style" Rain guards - $40 Amazon - Ordered 7 Apr 17 - Installed 12 Apr 17
    Rock guards - $70 Amazon - Ordered 13 Apr 17 - Installed 14 Apr 17
    Window tint
    Black roof wrap
    LED light swap
    Breedt engine cover
    Upgrade factory speakers
    True 3 gauge pod upgrade

Name:  13533167_10155046027201110_6901238643856509488_n.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  149.8 KB
    Last edited by TheAceFox; 04-21-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    LockeLamora33 and Manoah like this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started out with a GReddy Supreme catback I found on THMotorsport for $675 and free shipping. (Use code "greddy" if interested https://thmotorsports.com/greddy/gre...i-2018595.aspx). Not doing this for power but to give the car a bit more character and sound, the power is an added benefit.

Should also mention, I just bought the exhaust today, 14 March. Should be here within a week or so, apparently coming from GReddy themselves.

*edited to include photo from GReddy of the exhaust*
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TheAceFox; 04-07-2017 at 12:52 PM.
    Manoah likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

is lurking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are on your way to your goal!
    2014 ST1 OW traded in the unfixable P.O.S.

2016 ST1 Magnetic purchased June 29, 2016
    July 1, 2016 spending $$$ on upgrades

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed to this one!
    2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST - ST3 Package

Premium Member
    is bored

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ideally I'd like a nice conservative tune, maybe 290 or 300 or so but like I said, numbers mean nothing to me.
    Looking at your parts list I don't see this as achievable, especially with a "conservative tune"; you could come close to those numbers going with an e30 blend of fuel if you wanted to go that route. But, as you said, the numbers mean nothing. What's important is that you make the car your own and enjoy it.
    LockeLamora33 and LeojST like this.

EFI Logics Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow Filter, Panda Treadstone Intercooler, Denso ITV 22 Plugs,
    Magnaflow 24x5x8 Muffler, MRT Axle Back, Steeda Symposer Delete, Cobb Shift Plate,
    Needless Torque Shift Cable Bushing, CFM Lower Mount, Turbo Tech Upper Mounts,
    TB Performance Traction Bar, Bilstein B8 Struts and Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs,
    Mach M3 Wheels, Fifteen52 Cup Spoilers, AnarchyMotive 671 gm Shift Knob, CoolTech Jack Rails

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good and nice part list. My question is why do you say new suspension isn't worth it on stock wheels? And like @ddfred said, 290ish seems to be the max without going BT and that isn't on a easy tune. More 270-280 should be realistic, and that would be a big change over stock so I am sure you'd be happy.
    2016 ST3-Boomba Racing- S+T bushings-Short shift kit w/270g knob-BPV Breedt Quick Shift Arm TbPerformance Front and Rear Traction Bars FSWERKS Cool Flo Inlet Tube Mountune RMM ActiveShiftDesign Gas Pedal Spacer CP-E Lightweight ΔCore COBB AP3 Strano Sway Bar Massive End Links Whiteline SwayBar Locks

I spend too much of my life on FST! lx_2nv's Avatar
    This user has no status.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see your progress! I have the Greddy DP on order - I am torn between the Greddy CBE of the Thermal R&D. Decisions decisions...
    Tom Brown
    1991 LX 5.0
    2004 Ford Excursion Limited
    2016 Kona Blue ST3

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your goals sound very similar to mine! I look forward to this progressing!
    LeojST likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeLamora33 View Post
    Looks good and nice part list. My question is why do you say new suspension isn't worth it on stock wheels? And like @ddfred said, 290ish seems to be the max without going BT and that isn't on a easy tune. More 270-280 should be realistic, and that would be a big change over stock so I am sure you'd be happy.
    So a few things to answer in reply.

1 - The suspension on stock wheels. It's a personal taste thing in terms of appearance. If you do wheels and tires but do nothing to adjust the ride height, the car looks a bit off. Same goes for if you lower the car on stock wheels, just looks a bit off. Like you did half the job and gave up for what ever reason. In the past I've done both of those, lowering a car on stock wheels and also ran stock suspension on aftermarket wheels, just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'd rather do both at the same time so I don't have to do it again or make any adjustments once I do the other. Again, personal taste.

2 - like you and @ddfred said, the numbers are a bit high but they're not completely unobtainable. Mountune makes the MR300 kit which gets you 300hp and 350tq to the wheels on pump gas alone. I'm more or less doing the same modifications, just not with Mountune's name on the parts but I may go through them to get a tune. At the end of the day though, I'm going to be satisfied with what ever numbers I end up receiving, I'm fairly easy to please so long as the overall feel of the car doesn't dramatically change. Hopeless optimism most likely, hah.

Thanks for the comments, stick around.
    LockeLamora33 and Manoah like this.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links