Ford Focus ST Forum banner

BB's build. PB ST3

23K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  B_B 
#1 ·
First I would like to thank everyone that posts on this forum - Great ST's and people!
I have had bitc%n Blue for a few weeks now. She came with almost everything I wanted in a hot hatch, Performance wise she is just fine and I doubt much will be done in that department for a while, Most of my mods will be in appearance and functionality. So here we go, The first thing she needed was a focus debagging, after all she know what she is and that is an ST! so the focus emblem on the hatch is history, used some dental floss and thinner to remove it.
Next I painted the calipers (red) and the caliper brackets (black)Disassembleded the brakes, brackets etc. for the paint. I did not, however, remove the outboard brake pad as they have an anti-rattle glue/tape that I did not want to disturb for obvious reasons.
Then masked off the wheels and painted the insides flat black. This will allow much easier cleaning, the brake dust is now not seen.
After reassembling I could help notice that something was missing as far as the calipers go, They looked good but not great.
I decided to free hand "ST" in blue on them, that little extra - I like it. But the lines are not a as crisp as I like, I am trying to find someone that will make me a few "ST" caliper stickers........
anyway here are a few picts - enjoy.

See less See more
Reactions: Old Pirate
#2 ·
Next came the front turn signals and mirror signals, I really disliked the "yellow" affect. Purchased some chrome bulbs and installed, I like the look...
Headlamp assy. come right out after removing 2 torq screws per lamp. Mirror covers come off after tilting the mirrors down as far as they can go toaccesss the cover clips inside..

Yellow - blah

getting better :)

much better

#3 ·
Looks like we had similar ideas lol

#4 ·
Nice, are those stickers?

#5 ·
The chrome trim on the dash vents reflecting off of the side door glass was very distracting while using the side mirrors. I will be tinting the windows as well and I can only imagine how that will pronounce the reflection. Simple solution, remove the two outer vents, remove the chrome trim from the vents and spray paint. I used Nite Shade tint for this. It toned down the chrome while still looking like trim. No more annoying reflections :)

#6 ·
Mud flaps, the necessary evil! Was originally going to go with rally flaps but quite honesty, I could not see spending that much on flaps. Got these flaps locally and mounted them. I did not use the factory inner fender clips, 4 stainless steel screws per flap did the trick.

#7 ·
The Chrome bulbs for the rear turn signals finally came in. Got them off Ebay, they are not a name brand so I hope they last a while. Very simple to replace the bulbs, two oversized plastic nuts per lamp assy. hold them in place, simply remove the nuts, then the lamp and change out the bulbs, Looks sooooo much better.

#8 · (Edited)
I just installed the lockpick2 rear back-up camera with MFT unlocking using a license plate camera. Coastaletech was out of their cameras so I purchased one on line. The back-up camera works well although its not as crisp as the more expensive one I had on my MS3. I chose the Lockpick 2 over the NAV system for price/features. If your considering a backup system or want to unlock the MFT motion lockout you might want to check it out. I am very happy with the system. They also have an install video which is informative.
I first purchased a metal license plate frame, of coarse it was chrome so I simply prepped it and painted it black as the camera itself is black and I'm not into chrome. Drilled two holes for the camera mounting and attached the camera with carriage bolts. The plate and camera assy. is attached by special screws, hopefully this will deter (but not stop) a theft.
The rear hatch trim panel is fairly ease to remove, 4 screws @ the grab handles (2 per handle), the rest is clipped. This allows the 6 nuts that hold the outer trim panel of the hatch just above the license plate to be removed. The camera wires can be routed behind this panel. No drilling is required. To get the wires inside the hatch simply route the camera wires thru the grommet for the hatch latch wires. A little trimming will be needed to use the grommet.
EDIT: there are 3 wires that run from the camera to the lockpick harness, Video wire, Positive wire, ground wire. I had to purchase this wire.
I ran the camera wires along side the existing wiring in the hatch, thru the left rubber boot, down the rear hatch pillar, across to the divers side rear seat belt area, removed the rear seat, got under the carpet and headed to the center console. Most of the rear side panels are just held by clips. A couple of them had screws and speed clips which are veobviousius and easily removed, just take your time. The carpet is factory split under the rear of the console so the wiring can come up from under the carpet into the center console and still be concealed. The rear of the console is held with two bolts. I did not remove the center console, just removed those bolts which allowed enough access to run the wires. Went up the Left side of the console (inside), up the dash to the lockpick module. The screen trim panel is held in by two torx screws, two wire connections (hazard/locks & radio) are a pain to remove just take your time a patience will prevail. The screen itself is held in by 4 torx screws. The CD player was also remove (2 torxs) to help run the wires from the center console to the dash. The lockpick system comes with all of the necessary wiring etc. its very simple to hook up. The entire instillation is not difficult but time consuming I'm sure I missed something so if your have any questions just ask. Took a few snap shots as I went, there just not great and I kept forgetting to take some critical ones like the lockpick kit itself :(.

rear camera

hatch panel removed

outside hatch panel

grommet

Wires thru the grommet and inside the hatch

drivers side back seat removed

drivers side rear panels removed

Wires running thru the left hatch boot

#10 ·
Dash apart

#11 ·
hmm, I am seeing them, wonder why you can't?

#12 ·
While I had my dash appart the "ford power" start button was installed.

#14 ·
Thats not cool. Sorry about this, I have no idea why or how to fix it

#18 ·
I can't say that for sure, I believe it will but I would e-mail or call them. It does unlock the phone and navigation controls while in motion.

#19 ·
Here are a few photos of the finished project, please ignore the dirty interior, I took the pics before I vacuumed. It was a lot of work but not difficult, just time consuming. I purchased an interior tool kit, it consists of plastic like tools/wedges etc. that makes removing interior panels much easier and without damaging them.

back together

unlocked

#21 ·
So of coarse she needed tint, 35% on front door windows and 20% on the rest. No windshield tint

#22 ·
Not a fan of the black stitching on the center arm rest or shifter boot. I wish Ford would of used white/silver thread to match the front seats. I have used Redline goods in the past and ordered a shifter boot and center arm rest with silver thread. They came in the mail last week, I installed them today. Its not a jump out HEY in your face change, suttle and I think it looks much better. Not a difficult job - just patience - some photos.

Before

After

#23 ·
Decided to change out the fog lights and hopefully get them to color match the HID headlights without losing functionality. Went with 5800K and they are much closer and still perform well. Some photos, although photos don't always show true color you will get the idea...

Before

After

#24 ·
How close of a match are those fogs? I've tried two different sets so far and one was too blue, and one is brighter but a little more white/yellow

#25 ·
Colors can be very subjective, if anything the new driving lights are still a bit yellow compaired to the HIDs. They are a huge improvement over factory. What temp. K have you tried?

#26 ·
I installed my lockpick and everything is working. The video in motion and the backup camera.

However one feature is not working. I cannot get the backup camera/front camera to work when not in reverse.

The video shows holding down the voice button for 5s will load the backup camera to the screen and then toggling the voice button will allow you to cycle through any other camera inputs. This doesn't work on my lockpick.

Can you try this? If you hold the voice button for 5 seconds you should hear it beep twice and the backup camera should load to the screen. Hold it down for another 5s it will beep three times and turn off.

#27 ·
Mine does not work either. The manual is not clear as to wether its to work this way or not. I have found that the beeps after holding the button for 5 seconds shuts the rear camera complely off or on. Meaning the camera will or will not operate when the shifter is placed in reverse. Is this what they mean in the instructions? I have tried with only pin one down (small dip switch) & pin one and five down, same results. I emailed coastaletech and they want me to call in. My work is extremely busy right now so I have not called. If you find an answer would you please post back, thanks

#29 ·
Just spoke with Carlos at coastal etech.

He confirmed that there is an issue with displaying the front/rear/additional camera with the voice button, it has to do with the fact that the car is a manual transmission. The video in motion and the backup camera(when in reverse) work fine.
They are going to work on a firmware update and will keep me posted.

#30 ·
Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully the update will be soon. Ill have to call them again so they can notify me when the update is available.
What camera did you use?

#31 ·
Small update - I was not fond of my free style "ST" logo on the calipers so I ordered stickers - blue. I also ordered wheel center ST overlays from DMB graphics. Less than a week for DMB to get them to me, I love super fast service. Anyway I had a chance this weekend to install them - a few photos...

#32 ·
Another small update. Purchased Husky weather-beater front and rear floor mats as well as a rear cargo mat. They fit pretty good, I weighed them down for overnight to see if I can get a perfect fit. A few picts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.