Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Nittany_Hawk's 2014 PB ST3 Build Thread

8K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  IamOptimusPrime 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to start up my build thread, as I have learned so much for some of the other great builds. This is my daily driver, so my initial focus was protection from the PA winter. I am going to get better pics up, but sadly the first day of spring included 6-8 inches of snow.

A little background, I am coming from a 2009 BMW 335 that I lightly modded (Cobb tune/aFe Intake/Apex PS-7 Wheels/WeatherTech All Weather Floormats) Being able to sell off all those parts really gave me a head start on this project.

What I already have installed:

Rokblokz Short Flaps - 2/28/15

3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats - 2/28/15

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS All Season Tires - 2/28/15

FS Werks short shift kit and aluminum shift bracket bushings - 3/21/15

K&N Air Filter - Removed on 4/6/15 for CP-E Intake

Remus Catback Exhaust - I know it's a more expensive system, but it was one of my favorites for the 335. I wanted to go with something a little different, so I took the chance that it will be worth the extra due to the quality and sound. - 3/28/15

Cobb Exhaust Hanger Set - 3/28/15

Team Dynamics Bronze Pro Race 1.3 18x8.5 with McGard Black Lugs - 3/29/15

Steeda Symposer Delete - 3/29/15

JLT Oil Separator - 3/29/15

cp-e Intake - 4/6/15

cp-e Intercooler - 5/2/15

Redline Hood Lift - 5/2/15

Ford Racing Snorkel - 5/2/15

3P Shorty Antenna - 5/2/15

Cobb AP3 - Stratified 93 Octane - 5/6/15

Boomba Short Shifter - 5/16/15

Breedt Shift Arm - 5/30/15

Breedt Accelerator Pedal Spacer - 5/30/15

Arrived and going to install:

G2 Caliper Paint - Black

Planned

Coilovers

Custom tune

Tint

Maybe next year, big turbo......

I am attempting to do all of this on my own, so I will be sure to highlight the installs as much as I can, minus the couple of things I already have installed.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Had enough time to get the FSWerks short shift kit and went ahead a threw in the K&N Filter this afternoon.

FSWerks kit was a very simple install, took no time at all. Hardest part was getting the air box off. If you have multiple installs going on, this would be a great one to do at the same time of replacing the intake and doing a symposer delete. I set it at 30%, figured I would go with the middle setting and it seems to be the favorite amongst the previous forum posts.

With the K&N, simple swap as usual. I am averaging 26 MPG right now with about 1,500 miles on the odometer, will see if it makes a difference while I continue to research intake options.

#6 ·
Also got the opportunity to get out CJ Pony Parts (@Steve@CJPP) this week. Great shop and great support. Nice to know I have a great place to go only a little over an hour away. I appreciate Tim from the parts desk answering all of my questions and hooking me up with a JLT Oil Separator and Steeda Symposer Delete. Once I get my exhaust on I want to be able to hear it. I will definitely be back once I figure out what I'm doing on my intake or suspension.

Good luck to Tim and CJ's ST at the Autocross in Hershey, PA this weekend. Wish I could get out there to see it.

Attachments

#7 ·
Got the Remus Exhaust system installed today, although it took me longer than I would care to admit due to mechanical issues (bolts and exhaust hangers....), tool issues, and being a dad. This was my first major install flying solo, so I learned a lot throughout the day. I have a older Craftsman Mechanics Tool set from when I first moved out on my own that is still going strong and had most of what I needed for today. It was colder than I would have liked, never got warmed than mid 30s and my side of the street gets no sun, which I also think had a little bit of effect on the speed on my install. That could also just be me looking for excuses though.

1. If you don't have race ramps or something equivalent and intend to do any of your own work on your car, get them. So easy to use and worth the cost in my opinion. I have one of the two piece systems so I could take off the incline to get underneath and it was a lifesaver throughout the day.

2. I used the Cobb Hanger Upgrade, mostly. The prongs on the Remus system were larger than stock, which I believe is an issue with a few of the aftermarket systems, so I only ended up using the back two. I will revisit next time I have the car up and mess with it again, just wasn't working for me today for the mid pipe and over the rear axle.

3. Disappointed in how bad the bolts from the mid pipe to the down pipe were with the stock system. I know I live in PA, and it has snowed a few times since I bought her in February, but the level of rust and corrosion on those bolts was pretty bad considering just over 2,000 on the odometer. Spent about an hour messing around with WD-40 and a wire brush before I learned about the greatness than is PB Blaster. 5 minutes after buying that stuff both bolts were off and I was back in business.

4. Cutting the stock system also gave me an excuse to finally get a Sawzall, wanted one for a while and now I can also finish up some hold hold projects.

5. All of the demo videos show 2013s and the middle brace is attached using 10mm bolts. On the 2014s, or at least mine, it was actually a Torx screw. No a big deal but had to switch up the tools I was using.

I finished the install late, so I will post a video of the sound later this week. Still might mess around a little with the tips, I did not want them to stick out too far but wanted the logo to show.

Tomorrow she is getting her new wheels and time permitting, an oil change, the symposer delete, and the oil separator.

Attachments

#8 ·
Wheels now on. Love the look, though I definitely need to look into suspension options to get a little lower. Going to be a tough decision on going with that or an intake next, not to mention the whole coil over vs springs debate.

Also got the JLT Oil Separator and Steeda Symposer delete on. Not much to highlight there, pretty easy installs, especially after viewing CJ's install videos. Symposer delete really cleaned up the engine compartment. I know the OCCs are a big debate on this board, but I am in the boat of rather safe than sorry, I guess. If it comes up dry every time, just means everything is working well, if not, at least it was caught before going into the engine.

Photos for today. Since I hadn't documented them yet, also took a photo of the RB short flaps:

Attachments

#9 ·
I still need to get audio of the exhaust, but don't have a GoPro or anything, so that is still pending. Might just go with the cell phone, which won't be the highest quality, but at least give the idea. I personally love the sound, quiet when you are cruising in 6th but under acceleration, really lets you know it's there. No plans to change the downpipe any time soon, but extremely happy after driving it today. I will have to find out when the next meet for us PA guys is and try to get out there, hopefully before I move.

#10 · (Edited)
Another shout out to CJ Pony Parts. I ordered a cp-e intake yesterday and it was on my doorstep by noon today. Wish I did not have class tonight so I could have done more than snap a quick picture (sorry for the blur), but I know what I am doing later this week.

Next research project is a FMIC, then time to contact one of the custom tuners to really get going.

Attachments

#12 ·
Hey really like your build so far! Also a fellow PB ST3 owner :RockOn:
I can especially appreciate your build, I have similar mods done as well. I'm with the whole "rather safe than sorry" side with ya. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Nittany_Hawk
#13 ·
Thanks. I am enjoying the learning process and appreciate the community here. Look forward to continuing the process. I know I am not doing anything necessarily unique like some others, but if the information is useful to even one person, why not put it out there? I will probably start working on some appearance or audio upgrades once I get done with the major performance mods.

#15 · (Edited)
Finally got around to installing the cp-e intake this weekend. A couple of quick thoughts on this one:

1) cp-e really takes care of their product and packaging. Probably the best packed and protected component I have installed. If this is any indication of the performance and design care of their product, no worries about the longevity and build of their products.

2) Tried to take some shortcuts and not remove the cowl, but it didn't work out for me. Extended by install time by a fair amount. This is most likely due to having the JLT Oil Seperator and having to work that in as well, although getting to the clamps near the turbo would still have been difficult. Sadly or not, the most difficult part of this install was getting the cowl back on and wipers lined back up once they were reinstalled. I was once again saved by some of the tips contained in this forum, I believe by @yellowfocusstman

3) I came across one issue during the install. There is a foot on the front of the stock air box that you are supposed to transfer over to the cp-e unit, but it was missing from the stock air box. I dropped the pan under the engine, and searched with a flashlight, but never discovered it. I don't know if it was missing from the beginning, or popped off when I removed the air box for the FSWerks short shift. I will have to find out the part number and see if I can get a replacement one. I am not worried about the stability in the system in the interim, everything is a pretty tight fit and I don't think it's going anywhere.

4) I went with black, because I still have not decided what I am doing to do under the hood, if anything. I almost went with the red, and it probably would have looked amazing.

5) I don't have a real basis of comparison, but it is a much louder intake than I expected, especially for a semi enclosed unit with the plexiglass top. I had a dual cone intake on my last car, that created a subtle noise, whereas this is a much more distinct sound with the airflow.

6) I really would like to get one of the snorkel kits to finish off this part of the project. I wish I had not missed out on the ones at @RocketST made, so I am just going to monitor and figure that one out later down the line.

Unrelated, I placed an order with @Stay Fresh Car Care today, now that spring is finally coming to PA. I actually got to drive with the windows dawn today. Hope to get some time this weekend to spend a few hours getting rid of the last remnants of winter, and comparing SFCC to the old Meguiar's products I used on my last car.

For anyone following, still working on getting the exhaust video. Easter weekend was pretty busy with the kids, and work has been crazy with less than a month left in the academic year. Depending how late I work Saturday and if I get involved into detailing, I will try to have something this weekend.

Also trying to figure out what I want to do next. I am torn between going with a FMIC, and which brand to go with there, or taking care of a few other projects like springs, tint, doing something about the R/C car antenna, and getting rid of the hood prop (installing the intake really enforced how nice it would be to have hood struts). About through my projected funds for the moment, until we move and my wife gets employment again, so I have a couple of months to plan. Hopefully a year from now, I will make this a true build and go with a big turbo, once I learn all of the terminology and what it all means.

Now for the pics:

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
cp-e Intercooler and Ford Racing Snorkel

It's been a busy month, so I had a fair amount of parts around the house that I finally had a chance to install. Glad that I finally have a 2 week break before summer classes start, and about to move so not a whole lot going on at work. Got my first oil change in as well.

Big install this weekend was a cp-e intercooler and the Ford Racing Snorkel.

Thanks to Alan @EdgeAutosport.com for answering all of my questions about available options. cp-e was packaged well as usual, received with no damage or issues. One small quality control error was the cp-e logo was painted on the intercooler upside down. Confused me at first, but not a big deal as it will not be seen.

Thanks to all of those who have gone before to demonstrate how to remove the front bumper, as I used about 3 different videos plus the instructions from Ford Racing and cp-e to get it done. I was thwarted for about an hour on one of the stupid plastic fasteners in the wheel well that had corroded and essentially disintegrated when I attempted to remove. Could have been easier if I had removed the wheels, but I chose not to. Also, the 10mm bolts were a pain until I found the right angle. In the end, once you have done it, not bad, but you do a whole lot of learning the first time you remove it. Putting it back on was simple.

Nothing to really say about the snorkel install, simple since the front bumper was already off. Since you can only buy it as a kit, I will have the K&N Air Filter that came with it up for sale later today.

Also got a shipping notification from @WC LATHE WERKS for my custom shift knob. It will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to get it installed. I will probably also attempt some stitching to change the color of the thread on the shift boot. I have both white and blue upholstery thread to try.

Attachments

#17 ·
Hood Lift Kit/Shorty Antenna

Also got Redline's Hood lift kit installed, which was important to me after almost knocking out the prop rod when installing the intake.

Not as vital, but went ahead a got one of the shorty antennae as well. Did not want to go with the shark fin, as it seems like there was mixed reviews, as this was only $20 from @edgeautosports.com

Sadly don't have a fridge in the garage, so added some hp to my toolbox by putting my decals there.

Attachments

#20 ·
WC Lathe Werks Custom Knob/Exterior Cleaning Day

Received my custom shift knob in the mail this morning from @WC LATHE WERKS. Install was easy, though adjusting the set screw took me several attempts to get it (mostly) right. I will probably adjust it some more later to get it perfectly centered. Haven't had the opportunity to drive with it on yet, so I will update when I do so.

Also had some time yesterday to get a good exterior wash, as well as clay bar the front and rocker panels. PA roads and the winter did not treat my car well, so some touch up paint is definitely going to be needed.

Attachments

#21 ·
So I decided that with all of the parts I had installed so far, I needed to step up my tune above the Cobb OTS. I decided to go with Stratified Automotive Controls based on what I had seen here on the forums. So thanks to @Alex@Stratified and his team for the quick turnaround and service with getting me a tune based on my build so far. I will eventually upgrade to a custom tune, but did not feel I had the experience, and understanding yet to adequately describe what I want out of the car, nor am I sure of what I am going to do next. Look forward to getting it installed and seeing the difference.

I began doing some clips of the exhaust that I have been meaning to get to. Going to do some editing to make it one short vid showing inside and outside start up and revs, as well as a quick clip of the sound while cruising at highway speed. Wife is out of town, so I should get it done this week.

#22 · (Edited)
So, I probably did this in the wrong order. After a few days of driving, the height of the new shifter was bothering me a little. So, I was faced with a difficult decision, and decided to give @EdgeAutosport.com some more of my money to order a Boomba Short Shifter. Also went ahead and ordered the step colder plugs to have on hand for when I need them after running the tune for a while. One of the things I love about Edge is their communications and shipping speed. I ordered my wife's Mother's Day gift from Amazon concurrently yesterday afternoon, and Edge had the notification and products shipped within an hour. Still awaiting on Amazon, at least it's Prime......

#25 ·
Boomba Short Shifter

Got the chance to install the Boomba Shifter I received through @EdgeAutosport.com Due to some obligations today, I did not get a chance to go for a drive, but everything went fairly smoothly with the exception of getting out the pin for the side shifter and putting the panels back on. Thanks again to all the people that have gone before and make videos to help me through the process.

Also, talked my wife into working on the shift boot, using the technique from @brazwewn and also @COBBST. A couple of stitches were a little crooked, mostly the ones I tried, but it came out well.

I am also attempting to mess with vinyl. Not sure whether or not I like it yet. Still have some more work to do before I post anything which is why the installed shifter pics aren't up yet. Hopefully I will have time to mess with it again after work tomorrow.

I also got a GoPro during the week, as I was highly disappointed in the quality of my cell phone video of the Remus Exhaust. Hopefully I will get that filmed and up soon as well (I know, I have been saying that for a while)

Attachments

#26 ·
Got the chance to install the Boomba Shifter I received through @EdgeAutosport.com Due to some obligations today, I did not get a chance to go for a drive, but everything went fairly smoothly with the exception of getting out the pin for the side shifter and putting the panels back on. Thanks again to all the people that have gone before and make videos to help me through the process.

Also, talked my wife into working on the shift boot, using the technique from @brazwewn and also @COBBST. A couple of stitches were a little crooked, mostly the ones I tried, but it came out well.

I am also attempting to mess with vinyl. Not sure whether or not I like it yet. Still have some more work to do before I post anything which is why the installed shifter pics aren't up yet. Hopefully I will have time to mess with it again after work tomorrow.

I also got a GoPro during the week, as I was highly disappointed in the quality of my cell phone video of the Remus Exhaust. Hopefully I will get that filmed and up soon as well (I know, I have been saying that for a while)
The blue stitching looks good. How exactly did you, (or your wife) do this? Do you have to undo the stock stitching? Or just do the colored stitching over/along side the oem stitching?

#29 ·
Interior Trim

Again thanks to the wife for being able to make changes to the interior parts that I suck at doing.

This may be borderline ricer, or full on, but we wanted to get rid of some of the silver interior parts. I did not want to go with carbon fiber, as it has been done, and not personally a fan of the color match to the car exterior. Since I already had bronze wheels and a bronze accent on the shift knob, we decided to give it a try. Good thing about vinyl is that if I decide I don't like it, easy to get rid of. I found that out when I screwed up the first attempt and turned it over to the wife. The hard part about doing bronze is that it is very limited availability, and none of them are an exact match. I am just going for a nice accent. The color is a little off from the actual due to the flash from the camera. If we decide to stick with it the interior handles will be next.

Additionally, the silver button on the end of the e-brake was a little too curvy for our limited vinyl experience. I found some bronze spray paint at Michaels, so in combo with a little grey primer it is right now sitting to dry. Scuffed it up a little first with some 220 grit sand paper to ensure the paint would stick.

Attachments

#30 ·
White Lithium Grease

If you have installed the Boomba Short Shifter, you know that you must use white lithium grease on the ball part to make it smooth and not squeaky. I initially used the Liquid Wrench brand, as it was the only product available at a local DIY store. When first using it, it foamed up as described and coated the part fully, but squeaked whenever the shifter was moved. I completed the install thinking it would gradually further lubricate and stop squeaking at every shift, but I was wrong. Fortunately I was able to find the Lucas Oil one at Home Depot and it solved that immediately. I guess all white lithium grease is not created equal.

Attachments

#32 ·
Breedt Product Design Parts

Finally got these via FedEx yesterday. I waited for some of the colors other than red to come back in stock on the shift arm, which happened mid last week. Order placement to receipt time was a week (Thursday to Thursday). I have the FSWerks plate currently, but wanted to do the whole arm. I will have that up for sale once I get it off. I do want to say that the FSWerks product is an excellent product and does the job well, I just wanted the added level of adjustability the Breedt offers now that I have the Boomba Short Shift. I should have planned that out better, but this is one of the few things I am figuring out as I go rather than having a definitive plan. Side effect of being my first time really getting involved into modifying a vehicle beyond the basics, but a great experience regardless.

I also knew I wanted to get an accelerator pedal spacer, at it seemed that Breedt had one of the best and most customizable available. Definitely a heavy piece, not plastic like some of the other options.

Hopefully will get them installed today or tomorrow. Have a lot on the do list as we are preparing to move in a few weeks.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
Breedt Products Installed

Was able to take a break from prepping the house to move to get these last two things installed.

The pedal spacer was a quick install, I think it takes me longer to find the right sized tools than install some of these items from time to time, this one being a case in point. Also difficult to see. I think I need to upgrade my old school hanging bulb light to one of the LED ones so I am not heating up the whole front seat. Personally, I believe it is a lot more comfortable. I tried a couple of the different settings and settled on moving the pedal forward but not closer to the brake pedal. (Please ignore the condition of my floor and floor mats. Weather is not cooperating but she will be clean again before Saturday)

The shift arm install gave me the opportunity to clean the air filter while I was at it. Also checked the oil separator and with minimal result. Might look into one of the manifold side OCCs next. As noted by the many who have installed the Breedt Arm previously, the worst part is getting out the pin of the stock arm. Only took a few minutes after using PB Blaster. Obligatory comparison pics below. I went with P2 on the shift arm to move the shifter forward and get the greater reduction.

Apologize for the slight blurring in some of the photos, not sure why my phone does that from time to time. I should leave photography to the wife, which is why she is coming to Ford Nationals this weekend with the DSLR.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.