bman's GTX2867r big turbo build
Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: bman's GTX2867r big turbo build

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bman's GTX2867r big turbo build

Hi All,

So I have been in two minds whether I would do this build write up or not, but after the new turbo arrived yesterday I am too excited not to share this experience with this awesome community.

So let's start at the beginning. I currently reside in Adelaide, Australia so this is a long way from where the majority of you guys stay. I bought the ST last year February with the decision being between a 2007 STI (eagle eye), an evo 9 and obviously the ST. To be honest the evo was the most savage out of the 3 and the STI felt the quickest. However the ST was the full package and by far the nicest cockpit to sit in. I decided to get the ST and I would modify slightly to get me to where I wanted the ST to be.

So first mod was to pull the god forsaken symposer electrical plug out and get a custom magnaflow exhaust to give me a real note. So now I need mooaarrrr powwaaaaa! I jumped on this forum and read everything about extracting more power out of the ST. I decided to get a Cobb Accessport a tune and of course a Cobb RMM. I read about all the different tuners and emailed quite a few, the one that impressed me the most was Alex from Stratified. I decided to go a custom tune and worked with him to get my car on point for both RON 98 (93 for you yanks) and an E30 as E85 is super easy to get hold of here. Alex transformed the car and I have to give credit where credit is due, Alex is a wizard and as I write this the car is still on Alex's tune, runs flawlessly and has been abused more than a catholic boy at sunday school.

Come summer here in Aus the temperature climbs to 45C (113F) for about a week straight at a time. So I invested in an intercooler, I got a local(ish) guru named Jamie Fonfe to supply his I/C and install. Now instead of charge temps rising 30 degrees C, they were more like 2-3C. This resulted in being able to always extract the power out of the ST no matter how often it is required.

So what next we all know that itch you get. Mine was always in the background, I wanted dem turbo feelz, I want that up top hit of power and no matter what I did to this car, the K03 failed to deliver. It ran out of puff above 5k rpm and this was always something that bothered me.

Que the countless hours of research back on this amazing resource you call Focusst.org. And it looks like I was in for a big turbo. Seems easy enough but there are more options of big turbo than starving children in Africa. So I once again enlisted the help of Stratified. Alex and Cyrus both answered all my questions and helped me narrow it down to the GYX2867r.

FYI my goal was to get that turbo characteristic that I love while making a decent amount of power safely. I am not going for 500hp, or 400hp for that matter I am after a safe 330-350whp and while I know the 2863 could do this easily I may get greedy in the future and end up with an Aux fuel kit while running e85 which will easily see me around the 400whp, so the 2867r makes the most sense for something with a bit of head room that will achieve my goal.

So I bought the kit off of Stratified and waited impatiently for it to come. Firstly couldn't recommend them enough, they are saints and when Alex is too busy Cyrus always answers.

A word of advice for other Australian buyers importing this kit. It's over $1000 AUD so you are going to pay GST (tax) + duties (duties can be avoided if you use an import broker but they still cost around $80). The kit got held in customs as I didn't really look into the crap australian import laws. FYI it costed me $497 to get it released from customs, this is ontop of the cost of the turbo. My advice to other Australians going big turbo make sure you have at least $5000 ready to spend to get the thing over here and installed, if you don't you will get an unpleasant surprise. Also this will just cover you for the turbo + shipping + customs charges + bypass valve + install.

Enough about the money I don't work my ass off to worry about that I do it so I can play with my toys and theoretically save for the baby coming soon haha.

So the turbo is here and is being installed tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday at my local mechanic. Tomorrow he will be doing custom 2.5inch intercooler piping and a custom 3inch down pipe with 100Cell cat (unless the EPA are reading this then it is actually a 500cell cat lol). On saturday we will be installing the turbo itself, doing a coolant flush and an oil change and loading in stratifieds base map for the nex GTX 2867r!

I will endeavour to take as many pics as possible of the install. Until then here are some pics of the turbo once I opened. Note that it looks like ATP have a new exhaust/turbo manifold which is pretty cool.

Please let me know what you guys think and any of your experiences and opinions on the ST modification path.

Forgot a build list in the original post so here it is so far:

- Magnaflow custom 2.5 inch cat back
    - Custom 3 inch down pipe with 100cell cat
    - 3.5 inch DTF intercooler (very similar to the depo son of beast)
    - Cobb RMM
    -GTX2867r 0.64A/R
    -Custom 2.5 inch aluminium intercooler piping (hot and cold side)
    -Turbosmart Plumb Back Uni 38mm BPV
    - Process West 3 inch intake (with 2.5 inch reducer removed for new GTX2867r and BPV inlet fabricated on)
    -Cobb symposer delete (BPV vacuum source)

Parts ordered and awaiting
    - Anarchy Motive shift knob with custom colours and engraving (looking forward to showing you guys this one)
    - Cobb short shift plate (arrived waiting for install)

Name:  20170517_164923.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  3.67 MBName:  20170517_165004.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  4.02 MBName:  20170517_165901.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  2.04 MBName:  20170517_165916.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  3.27 MB
    Last edited by bman13235; 05-22-2017 at 04:52 PM.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up man! I also currently run the same turbo setup and I highly recommend upgrading your other motor mounts! It helps tremendously with torque steer at this power level and possibly even upgrading your Cobb RMM to a two piece RMM, that a few company's make. Also if you haven't already get some step colder spark plugs (maybe even 2 steps colder if its hot as **** where you are, I'd ask stratified about it). Other than that you seem like you're on the right path! The power from the 2867 is very addicting, kicks in at the low 3000 rpms and holds to redline, and after 6 months to a year you will want more... I'm coming up on about 7-8 months with this build and I've been looking into WMI/aux fuel for a while although I just bought a house so that's put on hold for now. Good luck!
    bman13235 likes this.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwilliams View Post
    Nice write up man! I also currently run the same turbo setup and I highly recommend upgrading your other motor mounts! It helps tremendously with torque steer at this power level and possibly even upgrading your Cobb RMM to a two piece RMM, that a few company's make. Also if you haven't already get some step colder spark plugs (maybe even 2 steps colder if its hot as **** where you are, I'd ask stratified about it). Other than that you seem like you're on the right path! The power from the 2867 is very addicting, kicks in at the low 3000 rpms and holds to redline, and after 6 months to a year you will want more... I'm coming up on about 7-8 months with this build and I've been looking into WMI/aux fuel for a while although I just bought a house so that's put on hold for now. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. I am really looking forward to the finished product. I will be picking it up in about 6 hours!.

Good idea with the step colder plugs that is going on the list of next thing to do. Next will be the other motor mounts. How did you find your other motor mounts? did it make the car too loud in the cabin?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FocusST.org
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so the install is all done and the only issue came about when using the existing vacuum line from the old bypass valve to the new one. The length of line and change in tubing I think caused it to work extremely poorly so I was getting compressor surge. Last night the cobb symposer delete was installed and I have used this as the vacuum source. It works flawlessly.

Below is a pic of the intake showing the bypass valve return that my mechanic fabricator did up. The guys name is Luke from Vulcan Performance here in Adelaide and I cannot say enough good about the shop. For the intercooler piping and intake modifications he went with some wrinkle paint too to give it that OEM stealth look. I will get some photos of the I/C piping when I get her jacked up next. For my build I have gone with a sleeper type setup where the car looks stock from the outside. My I/C is black and can't be seen, all piping is black and I run a BPV rather than BOV. Below is a pic of the 3.5inch intercooler I have on it as well as some of the new and modified intake which started out life as a process west unit. BTW yes the BPV is massive haha. I got turbosmarts largest bypass valve which is a 38mm unit. Was costly but well worth it and will be able to handle any amount of boost I can throw at it. I will get some photos of that install too.

P.S. the sound symposer hardware is no longer in the car as shown on these photos, it has been removed as of last night.

Name:  20161210_092729.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  4.32 MBName:  20170520_163012.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  3.93 MBName:  20170520_163014.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  4.34 MB

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Damond side motor mounts and I have the Boomba two piece rear mount. It def increases the vibrations in the cabin but it's just way more of a solid feel with them, especially with the consistent torque the 2867 makes
    bman13235 likes this.

is needing the v8 powa

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of the bypass valve and where you mounted it on the charge pipe? Turbosmart type 5 plumb back I assume since 38mm?

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, correct it's a type 5 plumb back. I don't have any pics on me but when I get home I will jack the car up and take some pics. It was mounted on the inside of the bend right before the hotside of the I/C. I know the inside of a bend is not as good as the outside but it wouldn't fit anywhere else and with the location it is in now it works perfectly with the sound symposer delete. All I had to do was drop the vacuum hose straight down from the delete.

is needing the v8 powa

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really appreciate it. I'm about to buy a Vee Port Pro... 38mm VTA. But honestly I think I would prefer the quiet and stealth of a recirc setup. I just need to decide if it's worth the hassle or not.

This user has no status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  BPV Mount Bottom.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  58.3 KBName:  BPV recirc.JPG
Size:  77.2 KBName:  BPV Symposer.JPG
Size:  82.2 KBName:  BPV top.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  53.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    Really appreciate it. I'm about to buy a Vee Port Pro... 38mm VTA. But honestly I think I would prefer the quiet and stealth of a recirc setup. I just need to decide if it's worth the hassle or not.
    Hey mate couldn't get it jacked up as wife's car was in the way and it was late by the time I got home from doing some logs. That sounds a bit gay haha datalogs obviously.

What I did manage to do is get photos of it under and on top and get covered in dust in the process (garage floor needs a good sweep).

So I have circled in red where the bypass valve is welded into I/C piping, then I have circled/followed the symposer vacuum line and recirc line.

Basically if you are facing the front of the car then the valve is mounted on the right (hot side piping) just before it enters the I/C. This has a straight run up inbetween the radiator fans and air box, then go under the intake elbow near filter and into the intake piping at the back. It's not a hard job if you know a welder or can do so yourself.

My advice is to get the 32mm not 38mm. The 38mm is unnecessarily large, I didn't realise it was that big and a 32mm would still be able to comfortably support you upto 600whp haha.

Hope this helps. I have no regrets and it is also illegal over here to run a BOV so I didn't want to get a defect notice and then have to do exactly this after paying for a BOV.

is needing the v8 powa

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bman,

Thank you for the detailed post and info! I will take a look when I get back home. I'm trying to be cheap and keep the stock hot side pipes if I can. Going to try to figure out something with those first, if not then I'm probably going to have to get a full hard pipe kit I think unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links